Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

OLTB's HYP - topped up IMB

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

OLTB's HYP - topped up IMB

Postby OLTB » May 29th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Umm...I've topped up IMB...it was below average holding and offered the highest yield.

HYP now looks like this after nearly two years in play:

The Cumulative Dividends heading tells me (as a percentage) the dividends received when compared to the amount invested. After a number of years, I hope (pray!) that this figure on some of them will exceed 100%! Time dear boy, time, I know :)

I need to add an additional sector as Carillion disappeared but I don't have any money to do anything yet so I'll have to wait a bit.

Cheers, OLTB.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: OLTB's HYP - topped up IMB

Postby idpickering » May 29th, 2018, 5:23 pm

OLTB wrote:Umm...I've topped up IMB...it was below average holding and offered the highest yield.

HYP now looks like this after nearly two years in play:

The Cumulative Dividends heading tells me (as a percentage) the dividends received when compared to the amount invested. After a number of years, I hope (pray!) that this figure on some of them will exceed 100%! Time dear boy, time, I know :)

I need to add an additional sector as Carillion disappeared but I don't have any money to do anything yet so I'll have to wait a bit.

Cheers, OLTB.

Thanks for sharing OLTB. The HYP looks fine IMHO, and Imperial Brands are a sound choice currently I think. Regarding 'having' to add another sector because you've lost one, isn't necessarily true. At 18 shares the HYP looks very rounded, so there's no rush to add another sector just to fill a gap.

Regards,

Ian.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » May 29th, 2018, 8:52 pm

idpickering wrote:

Thanks for sharing OLTB. The HYP looks fine IMHO, and Imperial Brands are a sound choice currently I think. Regarding 'having' to add another sector because you've lost one, isn't necessarily true. At 18 shares the HYP looks very rounded, so there's no rush to add another sector just to fill a gap.

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks Ian - perhaps I'm just thinking that as a couple of my HYP choices have gained quite significantly in capital values (IGG/TUI), their potential for top-ups is limited and I'm just looking for an alternative or two.

I do take notice of the board contributors though and will be careful not to 'stamp collect'! I was thinking of either Standard Life Aberdeen or WPP, but maybe I will just stick with what I have - as you say, I don't have to buy anything.

Cheers, OLTB.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 30th, 2018, 5:00 am

OLTB wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks Ian - perhaps I'm just thinking that as a couple of my HYP choices have gained quite significantly in capital values (IGG/TUI), their potential for top-ups is limited and I'm just looking for an alternative or two.

I do take notice of the board contributors though and will be careful not to 'stamp collect'! I was thinking of either Standard Life Aberdeen or WPP, but maybe I will just stick with what I have - as you say, I don't have to buy anything.

Cheers, OLTB.

You're we;come OLTB. Until recently I was at 28 holdings, so I can hardly lecture about halting at 18 different holdings. For me, I do like to double up in sectors, and have BP., along with Shell RDSB, GlaxoSmithKline along with AstraZeneca, British American Tobacco along with Imperial Brands etc. My reasoning is hedging my bets between these in their sectors. More recently, in early April, I put my full ISA allowance into my ISA. I didn't want to over expose myself to what I already had, so brought 4 newbies on board. Two of those were Standard Life Aberdeen and WPP funnily enough. I have no intention (currently) of going beyond my 32 holdings. For ease of reference, my HYP can be seen here; viewtopic.php?f=15&p=133086#p133086

Ian.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » May 30th, 2018, 9:43 am

OLTB,

My own opinion on top-up versus new sector/share. If, when you have the money, their is a share in a new sector that pays a Dividend greater or equal to your top-up choice then go for the new share (all other criteria being equal, of course).

As Ian said, a nice looking portfolio, IMO.

Raptor.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 30th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Raptor wrote:OLTB,

My own opinion on top-up versus new sector/share. If, when you have the money, their is a share in a new sector that pays a Dividend greater or equal to your top-up choice then go for the new share (all other criteria being equal, of course).

As Ian said, a nice looking portfolio, IMO.

Raptor.

Raptor, I echo those sentiments, buy the best income you can, but over the years that can lead you hold a lot of shares, as I top up at between 20-30% of a "full" holding that could also lead to some rump holdings that were only in HYP territory for a short window and never made full weight. Not a big problem but does imblane the overall HYP with a tail of tiddlers.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”