Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

AstraZeneca Update On lanabecestat Phase III Alzheimer's trials

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

AstraZeneca Update On lanabecestat Phase III Alzheimer's trials

Postby idpickering » June 12th, 2018, 7:12 am

Independent data monitoring committee advises lanabecestat is unlikely to meet primary endpoints, leading to decision to discontinue these trials

AstraZeneca and Eli Lilly and Company (Lilly) are discontinuing the global Phase III clinical trials of lanabecestat, an oral beta secretase cleaving enzyme (BACE) inhibitor, for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. The decision is based on recommendations by an independent data monitoring committee (IDMC), which concluded that both the AMARANTH trial, in early Alzheimer's disease, and the DAYBREAK-ALZ trial, in mild Alzheimer's disease dementia, were not likely to meet their primary endpoints upon completion and therefore should be stopped for futility. As a result of this decision, the related AMARANTH extension trial will also be discontinued.

Menelas Pangalos, Ph.D., Executive Vice President, IMED Biotech Unit, AstraZeneca, said: "We are saddened by this outcome as our researchers are working tirelessly to find a solution for the many people who are impacted by this devastating disease. We are committed to ensuring our findings can be used to inform further research in the Alzheimer's community, given the importance of finding a treatment for this disease."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00070760R/

Sad indeed. This horrible illness resulted in my Mothers' death four years ago. My sympathise to those affected by Alzheimer's.

Ian.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: AstraZeneca Update On lanabecestat Phase III Alzheimer's trials

Postby Julian » June 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm

idpickering wrote:Sad indeed. This horrible illness resulted in my Mothers' death four years ago. My sympathise to those affected by Alzheimer's.

Yes, a horrible disease and sorry to hear that your late mother was one of the sufferers. I really hope there are some research breakthroughs & innovative new treatments soon but it would appear that lanabecestat is not going to be one of them.

From a financial point of view the only comfort here is that this was a joint development with Eli Lilly so at least the written-off cost of failing at Phase III is shared with Eli Lilly.

- Julian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: AstraZeneca Update On lanabecestat Phase III Alzheimer's trials

Postby idpickering » June 13th, 2018, 5:42 am

Julian wrote:
idpickering wrote:Sad indeed. This horrible illness resulted in my Mothers' death four years ago. My sympathise to those affected by Alzheimer's.

Yes, a horrible disease and sorry to hear that your late mother was one of the sufferers. I really hope there are some research breakthroughs & innovative new treatments soon but it would appear that lanabecestat is not going to be one of them.

From a financial point of view the only comfort here is that this was a joint development with Eli Lilly so at least the written-off cost of failing at Phase III is shared with Eli Lilly.

- Julian

Thank you for your post and kind words Julian. I also hope that a cure is found, and realise that I'm not alone in my loss, as the illness is all to common.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”