Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Vodafone concerns

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vodafone concerns

Postby Breelander » July 25th, 2018, 3:49 am

Bouleversee wrote: My Verizon shares were sold when Selftrade mistakenly told me they would no longer be registered on the London exchange so I wouldn't be able to keep them.

Their mistake was in how the phrased their explanation, but were probably correct in saying you had to sell them. Barclays Stockbrokers told me that although Verizon would be listed in London they were to be listed as 'Crest Depository Instruments'. In general, most brokers don't let you hold CDIs in their nominee accounts. Barclays certainly didn't, the only option available was to receive them as certificates. So I told Barclays to sell mine on receipt.

Anyway, this is all academic now. Verizon delisted them in 2016.
https://www.investegate.co.uk/verizonco ... 3038P4130/

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 25th, 2018, 7:55 am

Breelander wrote:
Bouleversee wrote: My Verizon shares were sold when Selftrade mistakenly told me they would no longer be registered on the London exchange so I wouldn't be able to keep them.

Their mistake was in how the phrased their explanation, but were probably correct in saying you had to sell them. Barclays Stockbrokers told me that although Verizon would be listed in London they were to be listed as 'Crest Depository Instruments'. In general, most brokers don't let you hold CDIs in their nominee accounts. Barclays certainly didn't, the only option available was to receive them as certificates. So I told Barclays to sell mine on receipt.

I still have VZ in my AJ Bell Youinvest SIPP (denominated in USD). As it's in my SIPP and I've filled out a W8-BEN I don't have to worry about declaring foreign dividends and AJ Bell sort out the withholding tax rebate.

VRD

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 8:27 am

Breelander wrote:

Selftrade later admitted their mistake and offered to buy them back but I didn't take them up on that. They were in my ISA.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » July 25th, 2018, 9:57 am

They most certainly could be held in the Selftrade account - I kept hold of mine originally, and was with ST at the time. I sold them later.

Mel

biffinsbridge
Lemon Pip

Postby biffinsbridge » July 25th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Still have original Vod holding, which gave me 64 verizen these are all in an isa. I think i could sell verizen for about £2500 at the moment, but don't see any reason to sell, as get the divi, in an isa. VOD =1947, & still gives reasonable divi.
REGARDS Dickie

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 7:08 pm

VOD has just acquired 5G Spectrum in Spain:

https://uk.webfg.com/news/news-and-anno ... 13041.html

Will that send it up or down?

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » July 25th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Bouleversee wrote:VOD has just acquired 5G Spectrum in Spain:

I don't know much about it, but I believe it will still be sent in the same direction as before, just at a higher frequency. You'd really have to ask an expert to get a definitive answer but, just as long as the dividend keeps rolling in, who cares, eh? ;)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 8:12 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:VOD has just acquired 5G Spectrum in Spain:

I don't know much about it, but I believe it will still be sent in the same direction as before, just at a higher frequency. You'd really have to ask an expert to get a definitive answer but, just as long as the dividend keeps rolling in, who cares, eh? ;)

I was talking about the dividend, of course. We all know that's the only thing that matters. ;) ;)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 9th, 2019, 9:26 am

monabri wrote:Off topic - I actually fear for BT when 5G is rolled out. With 5G they will need to bundle large amounts of data in any contract - At that point, why will I need a landline - so 20th Century ?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/vodafone ... 491107.amp

Cost of BT landline per month?

When 5g is available where I live, I will be cancelling my landline. I'll use my mobile phone to connect to the internet using it as a "hotspot".

edit ( wow, that year from my comment earlier in this thread went by far too quickly! )

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”