Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Kier Group Trading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Kier Group Trading Statement

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2018, 7:24 am

Overview

· Underlying profit and earnings forecast to be in line with expectations;

· Year-end net debt is expected to be in the range of £170m - £190m as forecast, with average month-end net debt of c.£375m reflecting reduced volumes due to bad weather affecting the Construction business over the winter. Construction volumes have since returned to levels in line with management's expectations;

· Increased Construction and Services order books of more than £10bn, providing a 90% secured revenue position in these businesses for FY19; and

· In the highways sector, three-year extensions secured to the Highways England contracts for Areas 3 and 9, with aggregate total annualised revenues of c.£250m.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/kier-grou ... 00060833U/

They released this also;

Highways England Areas 3 and 9 contract extensions

Kier Group plc ("Kier"), a leading infrastructure services, buildings and developments & housing group, confirms that it has secured three-year extensions on its Highways England Areas 3 and 9 contracts, with a total value of c.£250m per annum

https://www.investegate.co.uk/kier-grou ... 01010826U/

Ricksure
Lemon Pip

Re: Kier Group Trading Statement

Postby Ricksure » July 10th, 2018, 11:17 am

Nice to see Kier share price going in the right direction for a change, what's not to like about a 9.5 bn order book 7.4 % dividend with 1.7 cover however since I put them on my watch list just over five years ago the share price has drop by £3.60 or about the same as five an a half years of dividend payments

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » July 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Kier is suffering from a lack of confidence in the market. It was not helped by a 67 page note from Barclays which includes these quotes:

With a share price down over 25% in the past 12 months and consensus remaining 100% overweight, we seek to assess whether the decline is justified, or more simply a result of wider sector concerns. In our view, significant acquisitions, H1 WCap outflows, heavy historical use of exceptionals, meaningful on- and off-balance-sheet leverage, increasing utilisation of JVs and a forthcoming divisional restructure inevitably raise some concerns, particularly in light of recent issues in the sector.While we appreciate a number of Kier’s attractions – with a strong position within the Highways market, which should see increased spend in the forecast period on assumption of control of the Smart Motorways JV and the expected returns that should be generated from the investments made into residential and commercial property development over the past three years – we believe the shares are not as ‘cheap’ or cash-generative as at first glance, with significant adjustments required to appreciate the full leverage position. We see few potential catalysts to drive a substantial re-rating given the greater level of risk now in the model and, as a result, initiate at Underweight with a 995p price target based on our SOTP valuation, which we view as the most logical way to approach the hybrid business model.

Within this note we highlight a number of areas that raise some uncertainty on the sustainability and cash generation of underlying earnings within the group’s Contracting businesses – namely adjusted cash conversion, which we see as lower than reported in presentations, significant provisions created on acquisition, relatively soft organic earnings progression once adjusting for M&A and a mixed outlook for the sustainability of high payables balances in construction.

With a growing share of earnings from leveraged joint ventures in Property and Residential, visibility is increasingly challenging and earnings sensitivity increasing.

There was a discussion on this on ftalphaville on 7 June 2018.

This seems like too much doom and gloom to me, people are still scared of another Carillion but I think the drop is overdone at Kier. I'm not aware that they are the weakest in the sector and the latest update indicated the quantity of work available seems to be growing.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Spot on regarding the Carrilion reference, and that is exactly why I wouldn’t be looking at Kier as an option for my HYP. Good luck to those that think otherwise though.

Ian.

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » August 17th, 2018, 11:32 am

It all depends on whether Kier have a stronger position than Carillion had. It's hard to know whether to stomach a large loss now to save what capital is left, or risk losing even more by waiting. One keeps waiting for the saving lift in the SP but it seems determined to keep sinking down.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 17th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Ricksure wrote:Nice to see Kier share price going in the right direction for a change, what's not to like about a 9.5 bn order book 7.4 % dividend with 1.7 cover however since I put them on my watch list just over five years ago the share price has drop by £3.60 or about the same as five an a half years of dividend payments

Well, I guess the question is: - is the order book going to be profitable?

In my case, I sold out from KIE in January, making a profit on my holding of 32% since 2012. I decided that construction type companies were probably not necessary in my ArbWyf HYP (or my own). We had held Kier for many years bfore that (outside HYP), but have decided to de-risk, as I perceive it by not holding this sector.

Is that de-diworsification? :?

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”