Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sometimes the best course of action is inaction

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Sometimes the best course of action is inaction

Postby moorfield » July 11th, 2018, 1:32 pm

An interesting, and perhaps topical today, discussion of saving penalties ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tball-jump

But HYPsters can appropriate something useful from this piece too.

People trading shares prefer to make unprofitable trades than to do nothing at all.

and

... sometimes the best course of action is inaction.

Come on The England.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sometimes the best course of action is inaction

Postby DiamondEcho » July 12th, 2018, 4:48 pm

moorfield wrote:
People trading shares prefer to make unprofitable trades than to do nothing at all.

and
... sometimes the best course of action is inaction.

Going to the source research paper cited by the Guardian gives the following opening abstract:
'We report the results of an experiment designed to study the role of speculation in the formation of bubbles and crashes in laboratory asset markets. In a setting in which speculation is not possible, bubbles and crashes are observed. The results suggest that the departures from fundamental values are not caused by the lack of common knowledge of rationality leading to speculation, but rather by behavior that itself exhibits elements of irrationality. Much of the trading activity that accompanies bubble formation, in markets where speculation is possible, is due to the fact that there is no other activity available for participants in the experiment.'
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... 0262.00222

So I think the suggested 'people... prefer' is misleading, perhaps better would be 'speculators prefer'; the term is used 3 times ^above.
Surely one of the tenets of HYPing is not churning or speculating; but sound long-term low-activity investing.
When I started HYPing I was over-eager to create the end portfolio, and have it optimal, and I did sell some things on the way. But I was quickly reminded by the market [later] that 'getting busy' [hehehe] with my HYP as often as not turns out to have been a bad idea for me.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”