Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Investors Chronicle Income Majors

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Hypster
Lemon Slice

Investors Chronicle Income Majors

Postby Hypster » July 15th, 2018, 1:48 pm

There's an interesting feature in this week's IC discussing the FTSE 100's largest and highest-paying dividend shares. I gather this is a a yearly article: this year BT and AstraZeneca were dropped from the list and Lloyds and British American Tobacco were added. The ten shares featured in the article are listed in the table below along with some data I obtained from SharePad. I don't think the IC are suggesting to run this as a portfolio but it might be of interest to folks looking to assemble a HYP.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Investors Chronicle Income Majors

Postby tjh290633 » July 15th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Had me puzzled until I realised that there is no space between columns. The P/E and the yield have run together. I haven't used that method for tables, but for the "pre" method I put 3 spaces between columns. I would correct your post if I knew the method.

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 15th, 2018, 3:06 pm

I saw that article and I hold most of these in my HYP as would anyone with a HYP I guess. I do not hold BP as I have always seen it as accident prone. Rio Tinto I do not hold because it is of course cyclical and Lloyds simply because I have never got round to it. I hold all of the others I do not think there is anything new in the article and I was pleased to see that they rated most as a Buy for what that is worth. I think Legal & General could well have been added as well.

Dod

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 15th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Interesting Hypster, but cld someone perhaps repost that with the formatting fixed?
[Many thx to anyone who can]

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » July 15th, 2018, 6:34 pm

A bit scary how few of these have Div. Cover >1.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 15th, 2018, 6:40 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
Could someone perhaps re-post that with the formatting fixed?

Hopefully this helps -

Looking at the data for BATS, I'm not sure about the 2.5% yield figure, so probably best to confirm any of the above before using in anger...

Digital Look are showing BATS with a Forward Yield of 5.2% - https://tinyurl.com/ya9m8mue

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 15th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Here is Hypster's table modified to force some space to appear between columns:

It could probably use a bit more work to reduce the number of rows that have been split, but it's hopefully somewhat more readable.

Gengulphus

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 15th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Looking at the data for BATS, I'm not sure about the 2.5% yield figure, so probably best to confirm any of the above before using in anger...

Digital Look are showing BATS with a Forward Yield of 5.2% - https://tinyurl.com/ya9m8mue

That link also shows latest and forecast Dividend Cover of 1.5 for BATS (as against the 18.2). The PE of 2.2 also looks on the low side in the tables.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 15th, 2018, 8:56 pm

These are big companies and quite capable of maintaining their dividend I would think although the cover is on the low side.

Dod
Moderator Message:
RS: Edited to remove comment on deleted post.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 16th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Hopefully this helps -
[img]
Looking at the data for BATS, I'm not sure about the 2.5% yield figure, so probably best to confirm any of the above before using in anger...
Digital Look are showing BATS with a Forward Yield of 5.2%. Cheers, Itsallaguess

Thanks IAAG, I appreciate the thought! Imgur is banned in several countries including my current one, but we're out of here in 2 weeks, so I'll recheck it when we're back in the UK :lol: Or next time I crank up my proxy IP 8-) [for the record, an Imgur image just appears to me as above, ie. the text '[img]'.

FWIW I always treat data on Digitallook with great caution. They seem to get a lot randomly wrong, plus they exclude any special divs. Hence using them for a primary sift of say an index will miss specials, even where specials are routine*, and hence can miss sectors where they are more prominent such as Insurers. In any case when someone posts a sift-list usually a couple of those listed stands out for me, and I always double-check versus the individual share's companies corporate websites, re-cranking the numbers, before considering putting a trade on.

* For this reason I prefer making a primary sift using https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... et=ftse100 where there is an 'Include specials' button that you can toggle on/off.
If you open the link^ and toggle on 'Include specials', the columns are simply sortable, although that isn't self-evident. Click on say 'Annual yield' and the column will sort, and click again and it sorts in the reverse order. Any yields shown that include specials are marked with an asterisk. Example: 'Direct Line Insurance Group 10.48%*'. Click on the arrow-head to the right of a yield figure and it opens another page. Example, for ADM/Admiral: https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... alDiv=true
This page IMO is just plain classy 8-) Graphs of DivYield%, both including and excluding specials, right back to 'Max' years, which likely is the original IPO date. Plus, detail on divs paid/dates/type etc for past 12 months. PLUS the full workings shown, long-form, for both net and gross of specials calculations.
In that page footer you'll see in blue 'Admiral Group dividend history'. Click that and it links to https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=ADM
That has the constituent parts of year by year divs, by year, since IPO, in ADMs case 2004. PlUS div '+/- Growth' figures on a YOY basis, which makes spotting say progressively eroding growth simple to spot. Now, I'll still x-check their data to a shares website before trading it, but IIRC I have yet to find any errors in the data they present.

The real surprise me to is their website isn't monetised in any way, not even hosting ads. The front page https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ is also handy for getting a quick view on which X/Ds and P/Ds are coming up with declared XDs currently listed out to 25th October. From that data I can simply extract a personal watch-list of 'anything happening to my portfolio this week or two'.

[disclaimer: I have no connection with the site, beyond being a regular grateful and rather surprised user of it!]

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 16th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I do not understand. Why reconstruct the table? The IC in its table of more or less the self same information has BAT on a forward yield of 5.4% which is probably about right. Whilst we are about it it may be that Imperial Brands is also on the low side.

Dod

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”