Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Frying pan to the fire again

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Frying pan to the fire again

Postby Arborbridge » August 15th, 2018, 5:32 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
One of my abiding principles was that reinvestment should always be into a share with a higher yield than that being sold. That way you got the ratcheting effect on income.

TJH

Sometimes you believe that's what you are doing. but the difficulty occurs when the second company does not come up trumps. For example, my case of buying Tesco from "tinkered" capital - just before the dividend was cut - and there have been a number of other examples.

Leading on from that, some further thoughts:-

As regards investigating the tinkering matter in general, looking at capital or income changes for known sales is easy enough. But there's the other category which is much harder to analyse: the companies which you should have sold but didn't. Dod would say, for instance, that I should have sold Tesco at some point. The problem with this more complete approach to studying "whether it is nobler to tinker or not" is that it is difficult to decide what the rules will be for the experiment, so as to satisfy potential critics.
At least with known tinkerings, I have the decisions I actually made, but this second group is not only intangible but - one suspects - quite significant. e.g. Tesco, Carillion, Interserve, Pearson and several others are important cases in which many would have sold at the first of trouble, but I didn't.

Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 16th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Arborbridge wrote:As regards investigating the tinkering matter in general, looking at capital or income changes for known sales is easy enough. But there's the other category which is much harder to analyse: the companies which you should have sold but didn't. Dod would say, for instance, that I should have sold Tesco at some point. The problem with this more complete approach to studying "whether it is nobler to tinker or not" is that it is difficult to decide what the rules will be for the experiment, so as to satisfy potential critics.
At least with known tinkerings, I have the decisions I actually made, but this second group is not only intangible but - one suspects - quite significant. e.g. Tesco, Carillion, Interserve, Pearson and several others are important cases in which many would have sold at the first of trouble, but I didn't.

Basically, I'm pretty certain that there is no even remotely easy way of investigating the tinkering matter in general.

One can compare the results in practice of any two tinkering methods. Each of the methods is basically a set of criteria that cause one to tinker and the tinkering action it triggers one to do, and such a set can be empty, i.e. nothing triggers one to tinker and so the method is non-tinkering. Or it can just contain "Tinker if I, after due consideration, think it a good idea", i.e. it's one's own tinkering method, however informally one has defined it. Or it can contain one or more criteria that are more mechanical, such as "tinker away the entire holding if its yield drops below half the yield of the FTSE 100" or "Sell 25% of, either instead of or in addition to that sort of informal criterion.

In practice, you can compare two tinkering methods if you can get a good historical record of each. You can do that for a method if either you have actually run it in practice and kept records or it is completely mechanical and all the historical data needed is available and it only makes decisions on data available at the time. E.g. it's comparatively easy to obtain records of what actual dividend payments were (at least for companies that haven't vanished through being taken over or going bust and if you're not trying to go back further than about the turn of the century), somewhat harder to obtain records of what share prices were but still possible (with the same proviso), much harder (to the point where I don't know how to do it) to obtain records of what forecast dividends were. So you're much more likely to be able to get a good historical record of a method that hasn't actually been run in practice if it relies on historical yields than if it relies on forecast yields.

And of the two methods I describe above, non-tinkering is completely mechanical and doesn't rely on any historical data, while "Tinker if I, after due consideration, think it a good idea" will generally have been run in practice and it's only a matter of whether one has kept the records. And that makes it pretty easy to compare them... But any comparison of two methods won't notice any difference between them with regard to decisions that happen to be shared by the two methods. So as you say, it doesn't spot the effects of decisions not to tinker, and that's because the non-tinkering method would also have decided not to tinker.

All of that analysis may seem to be making rather a meal of it, and if it only led to that agreement with you, it would be! But what it also indicates is how one might go about studying the cases where one didn't tinker. One needs a tinkering method that made decisions to tinker where one didn't and that one can get a good historical record for. Unless one has already been running that tinkering method for a good number of years and kept records of it (not necessarily with real money - a 'paper portfolio' will do as long as it's been run honestly, not making backdated decisions, and recorded reasonably accurately), one only really has two choices. The first is to start running and recording it and wait until that good number of years has passed, and the second is to make it a completely mechanical method, based only on data that one can obtain and that was available at the time. That second one is trickier than it might sound - a common problem with it is failing to say what is done with the tinkering proceeds.

Another common problem is making it depend on data that wasn't available at the time - any such method is hindsight-based to at least some extent, and there's a "the grass is always greener on the other side of the hindsight fence" effect. And it is indeed greener - but it's illusory! And while it's fairly easy to avoid falling foul of that effect in gross cases of hindsight bias - anyone who seriously presented a study of a tinkering method that involved tinkering those shares for which tinkering turned out to be a good idea subsequently (and only those shares) would be laughed out of court - but it's easy to fall into doing it. In particular, every time one thinks "if only I'd tinkered Carillion, I'd be better off today" is very close to doing it in a minor way - they don't quite do so if all they conclude is "therefore tinkering Carillion would have been a good idea". But if they go further and conclude "therefore tinkering is a good idea" then they've stepped over the hindsight line, the hindsight involved being picking out Carillion as the share to study. And the same goes if they also study Tesco, Interserve and Pearson and find that similar (though not so severe) bad things have happened - they're still exhibiting hindsight in their choice of shares to study. One needs to study all one's holdings to avoid that - which unfortunately does make the study considerably more time/effort-consuming...

One also needs to avoid hindsight in one's choice of tinkering method. One whose only criterion was "sell completely if the company's name is Carillion" would obviously have improved a lot of HYPs' performances, and not spoilt any of them - and is not a plausible rule to have come up with without hindsight. Somewhat more plausibly, one that picks out a particular stringent set of financial conditions that all applied to Carillion, and that seems very unlikely to have all applied to any other company in one's HYP, and said to tinker if a company exhibited all of those conditions, would just be a disguised way of saying the same thing. So beware of tinkering criteria that are complex combinations of conditions or are simple conditions that are so stringent that they only turn out to have applied to a very few holdings in one's portfolio - one is in danger of inadvertent hindsight bias simply caused by looking for criteria that would have helped one avoid one particular share that is known to have gone very wrong.

That bias is very difficult to avoid when looking for lessons to learn after events like Carillion's collapse, and probably impossible to avoid completely. But do treat any such 'lessons' with great caution: they're nothing more than ideas until they've had a good amount of confirmation from other examples. And in that context, beware of the data-mining effect: if you test a lot of hypotheses, some of them will receive a good deal of confirmation by pure chance. As a somewhat silly example of that, my HYP has contained five shares whose company names started with 'C' in the last decade: Carillion, Centrica, Carpetright, Capital Shopping Centres and Capital & Counties (of which Centrica is the only one I still own). Of those, Carillion produced the awful result we all know about, Centrica has done pretty poorly as again I think we all know, and Carpetright produced rather mediocre results for me - its dividends weren't bad for the first five years I owned it (2003-2008), but collapsed in the next three before I tinkered it away completely in 2011 (*) and I lost somewhat over a year's dividends to the 6%ish capital loss I made on it overall. The remaining two are part of a complex combination of an original holding of Liberty International demerging into them and Capital Shopping Centres subsequently renaming itself Intu, and I can't easily access summary figures about them, but I'm pretty certain that the overall picture up to the time I tinkered them away is pretty mediocre.

So basically, a criterion to tinker away (or not buy in the first place) companies whose names start with 'C' would pretty clearly have improved my HYP's performance. But despite having a fair amount of confirmation - five examples of when a particular tinkering rule would apply in 10 years of a HYP's history isn't bad - that conclusion is to be mistrusted, because it's an arbitrary criterion that lacks any likely investment logic behind it and has lots of possible variations. It's almost certainly due to the simple data-mining effect that if the records of all shares in my HYP were checked against starting with each letter of the alphabet, it's very likely that a few letters will show decidedly above-average performance and a few decidedly below-average performance by sheer chance.

Finally, the above means that while comparing one's own tinkering method with non-tinkering is not all that difficult, more generally comparing one's own tinkering method with other tinkering methods is probably at least an order of magnitude more work, and it's trickier to avoid all the traps. That needs at least another order of magnitude and various extra trickiness added for a study of tinkering in general! I.e. as conclusions to aim for, "my tinkering method is better than not tinkering", "my tinkering method is good" and "tinkering in general is good" very rapidly increase in practical difficulty. And personally, I've done a few studies of the first of them and only reached the "my tinkering method is better than not tinkering" conclusion on a qualitative personal-preference basis, not a quantitative financial-outcomes basis. Basically, I can't see any significant difference in the financial outcomes, but I'm personally more comfortable with the portfolio not containing the hugely-above-average-size and more-admin-than-they're-worth holdings that my tinkering method is designed to fix (by top-slicing and tinkering away entirely respectively. That'll do for me as far as running my HYP in practice is concerned, so I'm not about to put a lot more work into studying such questions.

(*) Which I see with hindsight has turned out to be a fairly good tinkering decision, though a year earlier or a year later would have been quite a bit better! And don't take that as a claim to be good at making tinkering decisions - counterbalance it is your mind with the fact that I didn't tinker Carillion away!

Gengulphus

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Basically, I'm pretty certain that there is no even remotely easy way of investigating the tinkering matter in general...

Couldn't agree more. My one and only attempt to analyse a 'tinker' gave me a headache - there were so many 'what ifs' that the analysis spiralled off into infinity.

... don't take that as a claim to be good at making tinkering decisions - counterbalance it is your mind with the fact that I didn't tinker Carillion away!

I did, days before de-listing. I claim that as 'luck' rather than 'judgement'...

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 16th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Breelander wrote:My one and only attempt to analyse a 'tinker' gave me a headache - there were so many 'what ifs' that the analysis spiralled off into infinity.

That might well be true if you don't tinker but try and figure out what your portfolio would look like now if you had. You'd have to make all kinds of assumptions about the decisions you would have made, and when, making sure only to base that on what was known at the time.

But the other way around is fairly simple, i.e. you did tinker. All you need is a snapshot of your portfolio as of (whatever you are choosing as) the start date, and then value it now. You may have to make the odd assumption about how you would have handled corporate actions for positions that you sold before that action, but that is a more manageable process.

And I mention this because it is exactly what I did back in my fund management days. I would maintain a portfolio as of the first day of every year, and continue to run the portfolio accounting software on it. These were actively managed funds (so much tinkering) and I was able to show the managers the effect of their trading decisions at different points during the year, compared with the results had they spent the year on the beach. In some cases that showed the manager had added value. In other cases that all their efforts had actually subtracted value, which they weren't always happy to hear and were adept at rationalising away :D

So it might be fair to say that if you want to determine the net plus or minus of trading decisions, it is easier to do if you tinker than if you don't.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 16th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Lootman wrote:
Breelander wrote:My one and only attempt to analyse a 'tinker' gave me a headache - there were so many 'what ifs' that the analysis spiralled off into infinity.

That might well be true if you don't tinker but try and figure out what your portfolio would look like now if you had... But the other way around is fairly simple, i.e. you did tinker...

Actually, I did tinker - sold First Group as IMHO their dividend policy had fundamentally changed to a 'growth share' model rather than a HYP type. The analysis was to see a) if it was worthwhile, and b) whether I could have timed it better. It was in my 2015 Christmas review....

Breelander (2015) wrote:“Don't look back!" "Why not?" "Because I just did! Run faster!”

...Just for fun (Ha! I must have been mad) I thought I'd pick over the ashes of this particular 'tinker' to see if I could have done it better. I'm afraid it doesn't shed any light on the debate, mostly it confirmed that 'you never can tell'...

...I started by assuming that I could have done this swap (sell FGP and split equally between RDSB and GSK) at any time in the past five years. Of course, I could have bought whatever was cheapest at the time, but there's a limit to the number of 'What If's I can get into a simple spreadsheet (let alone think about without getting a headache)...
https://web.archive.org/web/20161104222 ... 09137.aspx

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 17th, 2018, 10:02 am

Breelander wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:Basically, I'm pretty certain that there is no even remotely easy way of investigating the tinkering matter in general...

Couldn't agree more. My one and only attempt to analyse a 'tinker' gave me a headache - there were so many 'what ifs' that the analysis spiralled off into infinity.

In my case, I have restricted myself to looking at actual tinkering decisions . These are near enough clear cut: there's a date of sale, and that capital is assumed to be allocated to the next share or shares actually purchased. The river flows on with known dividends and a currently known price, so the only decision to make is when to stop the clock - I've chosen five years. There's also some question about what constitutes a "success" or "fail" - TR or dividends accumulated or bit of both?

I haven't yet contemplated the "what if" scenarios for the reasons you give, yet I know full well, that an obvious question from some posters will be: what about the ones you should have sold but hung on to? Dod, for example, always maintained that selling early is the best thing, but for me to look at this, I need some definite rules about what "early" means. And that might be quite time consuming to research even when there is a rule to apply. So far, I haven't had the enthusiasm to even venture into that "what if" region, so we are left only with Dod's "gut feeling".

I can, however, look at what I actually did, and hope to conclude whether my tinkering was on the whole a good thing or a bad one. This might "inform" how I act in future. (But don't count on it!)

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 17th, 2018, 10:10 am

I must admit that when I have tinkered I don’t really give the sold share much of a thought. What’s done is done and I move on. I accept that I’m not an expert and don’t try to make out I am either. I’m happy in my amaturism, and it fits with my keep it simple style that I try to abide by.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 17th, 2018, 2:53 pm

idpickering wrote:I must admit that when I have tinkered I don’t really give the sold share much of a thought. What’s done is done and I move on. I accept that I’m not an expert and don’t try to make out I am either. I’m happy in my amaturism, and it fits with my keep it simple style that I try to abide by.

Ian.

Each to his own. What's done is done is fair enough: but personally I do wonder if what was done should have been done. It's not that I want to torture myself, but to learn. Only by looking at how I've behaved in the past can I reached some understanding of how I should behave in the future.
Now, I grant you, it's not an easy task, and may be ultimately futile, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.

And, BTW, I'm no more expert than you and am quite happy with my amateur approach too. Maybe I just have more desire to measure what's happening - that also shows up in my keeping unit prices etc.

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 17th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Dod, for example, always maintained that selling early is the best thing, but for me to look at this, I need some definite rules about what "early" means. And that might be quite time consuming to research even when there is a rule to apply. So far, I haven't had the enthusiasm to even venture into that "what if" region, so we are left only with Dod's "gut feeling".

I can, however, look at what I actually did, and hope to conclude whether my tinkering was on the whole a good thing or a bad one. This might "inform" how I act in future. (But don't count on it!)

One anecdotal example does not a 'rule' make, but in general (like TJH, I believe) my 'gut feeling' is that waiting for the 'knees to stop jerking' is better than selling immediately. I did analyse the 'what-ifs' for my particular 'tinker' as if Id timed it differently...
...the actual deal I did on 10th June ... let's call that a baseline of 100%.
...Lacking any functional crystal ball, my first realistic time to think about a 'tinker' would have been on the 20 May 2013. Not only did FGP announce in their Finals that the dividend would be cut, but that they were also to have a Rights Issue... The 'swap' on that day would have netted me just 86% of my 'target' shares. Those who did bail out on the cut may have been congratulating themselves on a 'shrewd move' two month on (63%) or cursing their lack of faith a year on (103%)...

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Breelander wrote:
...the actual deal I did on 10th June ... let's call that a baseline of 100%.
...Lacking any functional crystal ball, my first realistic time to think about a 'tinker' would have been on the 20 May 2013. Not only did FGP announce in their Finals that the dividend would be cut, but that they were also to have a Rights Issue... The 'swap' on that day would have netted me just 86% of my 'target' shares. Those who did bail out on the cut may have been congratulating themselves on a 'shrewd move' two month on (63%) or cursing their lack of faith a year on (103%)...

I was one who hestitated and didn't buckle until a year later, May 2014, at 134.xx p a share. As five years have not elapse, I haven't looked at whether this was a tinkering "win" - but it might have been. It looks like the next shares topped up were NG,HSBC and GSK.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 17th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Each to his own. What's done is done is fair enough: but personally I do wonder if what was done should have been done. It's not that I want to torture myself, but to learn. Only by looking at how I've behaved in the past can I reached some understanding of how I should behave in the future.
Now, I grant you, it's not an easy task, and may be ultimately futile, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.

And, BTW, I'm no more expert than you and am quite happy with my amateur approach too. Maybe I just have more desire to measure what's happening - that also shows up in my keeping unit prices etc.

Arb.

Fair enough Arb. As you say, each to their own. I respect you, and your right to manage your HYP the way you see fit, even the point regarding learning from your actions, and measuring what's happening.. I guess that's not a bad thing to be honest.

Ian.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » August 17th, 2018, 6:16 pm

My tinkering is I suspect pretty incapable of analysis, however I have tended to base it not upon falling out of love with individual shares/holdings and more re falling out of love ( re my hunches, right or wrong) with various economies and sectors, in effect I have now, for a few years, mainly steered clear of UK based earnings re where I seek my dividends. I have left the individual company approach and embraced ITs with a smattering of more international FTSE100 shares (Shell, HSBC etc)

I can say that it has certainly adversely impacted total dividends received, the move into ITs cutting the dividends ,and I am only now starting to slowly get back to where I was re total dividends in early 2016, however this is a price I have been prepared to pay for a much wider international spread of risk.

However in this I have really parted company with HYP practical and have followed a path as a heretic.

Moderator Message:
This post is an example of a post that starts off ok for Practical and then moves onto Strategy. If you wish to discuss this approach further please take it over onto strategy. Raptor.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”