Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Admiral Group plc results for the six months ended 30 June 2018

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Admiral Group plc results for the six months ended 30 June 2018

Postby idpickering » August 15th, 2018, 7:16 am

Comment from David Stevens, Group Chief Executive Officer
'Zut alors! Nos opérations européennes sont rentables! Or probably more accurately, given that over half of our European customers are Italian - le nostre compagnie Europee sono in profitto! Moreover, the European insurers delivered overall profitability whilst growing the business by almost a fifth in a year.

But that's not the only important milestone in the first half, which was characterised by substantial growth across almost all our businesses.

Most importantly, the core UK car insurance business continues to grow both in terms of profit and customer numbers. Early in 2018 we passed the four million mark for cars on cover - the car that hit the milestone was a Peugeot 108; our first 25 years ago was an Isuzu Piazza.

All of this is underpinned by our strong culture and hard-working, customer-focused staff, and we are proud to have been named the 3rd Best Company to Work For in the UK, as well as the 10th Best Workplace in Europe and 3rd in Italy.'

Dividend
The Directors have declared an interim dividend of 60.0 pence, representing a normal dividend of 40.8 pence per share and a special dividend of 19.2 pence per share. The dividend will be paid on 5 October 2018. The ex-dividend date is 6 September 2018 and the record date is 7 September 2018.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/admiral-g ... 0023H0764/

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Admiral Group plc results for the six months ended 30 June 2018

Postby monabri » August 15th, 2018, 8:06 am

An increase of 7.1% over last year's interim+special (37.9p + 18.1p =56p).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 15th, 2018, 8:15 am

monabri wrote:An increase of 7.1% over last year's interim+special (37.9p + 18.1p =56p).

Aye, thanks for that monabri. The figures looked very good overall. What's not to like? I have set my scheduled purchase in my ISA held with Halifax to buy more Admiral Group on 22nd of this month.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 15th, 2018, 8:24 am

Every little bit helps ( err, wrong ad). Seriously though, the increase in the dividend helps counter the static divi at HSBC & GSK. The increase is much appreciated. Over time the effects of an increasing dividend are most marked.

midgesgalore
Lemon Slice

Postby midgesgalore » August 15th, 2018, 4:52 pm

idpickering wrote:The figures looked very good overall. What's not to like? I have set my scheduled purchase in my ISA held with Halifax to buy more Admiral Group on 22nd of this month.
Ian.

Sounds like a plan, I am underweight on Admiral for non-life insurance and will similarly top-up using some accumulated dividends.
Hopefully before the, September 6th, Xd date .

midgesgalore

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 15th, 2018, 6:32 pm

midgesgalore wrote:
idpickering wrote:The figures looked very good overall. What's not to like? I have set my scheduled purchase in my ISA held with Halifax to buy more Admiral Group on 22nd of this month.
Ian.

Sounds like a plan, I am underweight on Admiral for non-life insurance and will similarly top-up using some accumulated dividends.
Hopefully before the, September 6th, Xd date .

midgesgalore

Hi midgesgalore, cheers for your post. Sods law that Admiral Group went up 3.2% today though. I'm still buying more either way. ;)

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 15th, 2018, 8:54 pm

One of my better ones with excellent divis and an XIRR over 16%. Not topping up as it is already on the heavy side, having increased so well.

Arb

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 15th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Might be best to wait a while before XD on 6th September - they might have gone off the boil by then.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2018, 6:24 am

monabri wrote:Might be best to wait a while before XD on 6th September - they might have gone off the boil by then.

I hear you monabri. I just posted in the ADM v DLG thread that nothing's set in stone, so as to my purchase, we'll see. In fact I was buying more ADM to get in before the ex div date.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 16th, 2018, 6:56 am

A well rehearsed argument: whether to get in before the XD or afterwards.
There are strong reasons for buying just after XD, but personally, I quite like booking that first dividend immediately after buying, despite knowing "intellectually" that it may not be the smartest thing to do. By extension, we HYPers like to see our dividends flowing in, but others argue it's better (often for tax reasons) to harvest capital increases.

In the long run in the context of top ups in a large HYP.... before or after XD.....it doesn't matter too much.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2018, 7:10 am

Arborbridge wrote:A well rehearsed argument: whether to get in before the XD or afterwards.
There are strong reasons for buying just after XD, but personally, I quite like booking that first dividend immediately after buying, despite knowing "intellectually" that it may not be the smartest thing to do. By extension, we HYPers like to see our dividends flowing in, but others argue it's better (often for tax reasons) to harvest capital increases.

In the long run in the context of top ups in a large HYP.... before or after XD.....it doesn't matter too much.

Arb.

Thanks for your input Arb. Like you I like to
I quite like booking that first dividend immediately after buying, despite knowing "intellectually" that it may not be the smartest thing to do

I get that in the long term it doesn't matter much.

My other thought was a top up of BHP Billiton to get in before their ex div date for the final, but discussing that share here is OT. Knowing me though, the ADM top up will probably happen. Maybe.... :lol:

Ian

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 16th, 2018, 7:51 am

idpickering wrote:My other thought was a top up of BHP Billiton to get in before their ex div date for the final, but discussing that share here is OT. Knowing me though, the ADM top up will probably happen. Maybe.... :lol:

Ian

Ok, we are not supposed to even think about trying to time the market - and in general we don't - but I suspect with all the currency things going on at present, you might find BLT at more of a bargain later on. With Trump causing trouble around the globe with trade tariffs, "holes in the ground" may have a rough time.

In other words, I doubt that holding off from BLT for a while will do you any harm.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2018, 8:16 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Ok, we are not supposed to even think about trying to time the market - and in general we don't - but I suspect with all the currency things going on at present, you might find BLT at more of a bargain later on. With Trump causing trouble around the globe with trade tariffs, "holes in the ground" may have a rough time.

In other words, I doubt that holding off from BLT for a while will do you any harm.

Arb.

Fair point Arb thank you. I think it was just me thinking out loud so to speak. The ADM top up still stands.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 16th, 2018, 8:44 am

idpickering wrote:
Fair point Arb thank you. I think it was just me thinking out loud so to speak.

Ian.

You and I - we are both inclined to do that 8-)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 16th, 2018, 9:14 am

The point about buying just before XD is that you are paying for the dividend when you do. It may be that the price is higher after XD, but that is something that you cannot know. It happened with AZN the other week.

Remember that mantra - The time to buy is now. That is, when you have the money to do it. It may not always work out, but most times it does.

Regarding Admiral, I think that I bought in 2014, at which time my recollection is that Direct Line was a bit of a Johnny-come-lately.

TJH

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 16th, 2018, 9:18 am

Arborbridge wrote:A well rehearsed argument: whether to get in before the XD or afterwards.

Arb.

Is there a tiny tax advantage buying XD so as not to pay the stamp duty on the dividend you're about to receive? Like you and IDP if all else is equal banking that dividend early fells better than waiting perhaps 6 months for the share to add to my income flow. Also protects the portfolio from dividend drag. For the past 2 years I have been monitoring my monthly dividend amounts closely having set a target £amount that makes me financially independent and I have massaged that figure up by topping up some or my higher yielders just before they went XD

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2018, 11:11 am

Thanks for your offering kempiejon. Luckily the tax issue for me is null and void as my holdings are in my ISA.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 16th, 2018, 11:48 am

Ian, I was thinking about the 0.5% stamp duty tax that we all pay when buying shares not dividend or any other taxes but I'm not sure I've convinced myself about the tax saving. I think with a fixed number of shares if one buys a share cum div which then drops by the dividend amount tax was paid on the amount of the dividend but if bought XD less tax is paid on the (theoretically) lower priced shares.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 16th, 2018, 12:57 pm

kempiejon wrote:Ian, I was thinking about the 0.5% stamp duty tax that we all pay when buying shares not dividend or any other taxes but I'm not sure I've convinced myself about the tax saving. I think with a fixed number of shares if one buys a share cum div which then drops by the dividend amount tax was paid on the amount of the dividend but if bought XD less tax is paid on the (theoretically) lower priced shares.

Thanks for that kempiejon. Of course, we all pay the stamp duty charge. I’m all for keeping costs down hence the cheap £2 charge that I pay to Halifax, Rather than the full charge for a purchase outside the monthly dolllop.

Ian

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 16th, 2018, 5:10 pm

kempiejon wrote:Is there a tiny tax advantage buying XD so as not to pay the stamp duty on the dividend you're about to receive? ...

Yes, but it really is tiny. E.g. if you buy £1,000 worth of a share when it's just still cum-dividend and receive a £30 dividend on it, you pay 0.5% of £1,000 = £5.00 stamp duty on it. If you instead wait until just after it has gone ex-dividend, the price of those same shares can be expected (all else being equal) to drop to £970 and you've still got the difference of £30 in the bank to compensate you for not receiving the £30 dividend later, and the stamp duty is only 0.5% of £970 = £4.85. So you make a tax saving of 15p on a £1000 investment, which is a 0.015% tax saving.

It becomes a bit more significant if the holding isn't tax-sheltered and the non-tax-sheltered holdings earn enough dividends to exceed the dividend allowance, so that Income Tax and possibly CGT are involved. For a basic-rate taxpayer, buying cum-dividend means that the £30 dividend attracts 7.5% Income Tax, costing £2.25 on one's tax bill, while the £30 that stays in the bank if one buys ex-dividend doesn't attract Income Tax (*). That might be offset by the CGT effect of having spent £30 less on the same shares than if one had bought cum-dividend, making the gain £30 bigger and the tax bill at the basic-rate CGT rate of 10% up to £3.00 bigger if and when the gain is realised. But especially in a HYP, the gain might well not be realised before one dies (in which case CGT on it is forgotten and the IHT bill just depends on the value of the shares, not on what the unrealised gain on them was) or it might be realised in a tax year when it is covered by one's CGT allowance, and even if it is realised in a tax year when one ends up paying CGT on it, that CGT bill is probably many years in the future - all of which say that one should probably discount that expected £3.00 CGT saving from buying cum-dividend considerably. So the tax advantage of buying ex-dividend = 15p stamp duty + £2.25 Income Tax - something well under £3.00 CGT in this case - which is almost certainly positive but definitely at most £2.40. I.e. at most a 0.24% tax advantage, which is still pretty tiny but nothing like as low as 0.015%.

Move to higher- or additional-rate tax and the Income Tax rate on the dividends changes to 32.5% or 38.1%, while the CGT rate becomes 20%. That shifts the tax savings due to buying ex-dividend in otherwise-the-same-as-above circumstances to being definitely positive and at most £9.90 or £11.58 on the £1,000 investment, i.e. 0.99% or 1.158%. Still pretty small, but also quite an increase on the corresponding figure of 0.24% at basic rate.

So the tax savings from investing ex-dividend can be merely quite small rather than really tiny for a HYPer in the right (or should that be wrong?) tax circumstances. But those tax circumstances are probably quite uncommon - higher-rate taxpayer or above and holding sufficient shares outside tax shelters for their dividends to exceed the dividend allowance. For others, and as far as stamp duty is on its own is concerned for everyone, the 0.015%ish tax advantage due to stamp duty is about as significant as a 0.1p fluctuation in the price of a share worth about 600-700p.

(*) Interest on it might, of course, but that happens more-or-less regardless of whether the £30 in the bank account just stayed there or arrived there as a dividend, except that it arrives a few weeks later in the second case and so earned corresponding less interest. But a few weeks of interest on £30 is a few pence at most, and tax on it even less, so we're talking ultra-tiny here!

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”