Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

August Dividend Payment and Ex Dividend Dates

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

August Dividend Payment and Ex Dividend Dates

Postby Itsallaguess » August 18th, 2018, 11:12 am

Apologies - I'm a little late this month.....

Here's a list of August dividend payments and also below it a list of ex-dividend dates that we can expect for this month.

Dividend payments first -

And these are the ex-dividend companies for the rest of August -

Apologies for any omissions in the above data. I've compared the original list to the EPIC's listed on the HYPTUSS data-sheet, so hopefully there shouldn't be too may issues.

The above data has been compiled from the really useful 'Dividend Data' website (https://tinyurl.com/ybvcatga / https://tinyurl.com/y6wun8yj)

The previous list for July can be found here - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12406

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: August Dividend Payment and Ex Dividend Dates

Postby idpickering » August 18th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Thanks Itsallaguess. My next dollop gets invested on 22 Aug, so Imperial Brands are a massive temptation for me. Sadly, or not, I’ve topped them up twice this year already, and they’re at my max spend on a given stock limit.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 18th, 2018, 6:39 pm

idpickering wrote:Thanks Itsallaguess. My next dollop gets invested on 22 Aug, so Imperial Brands are a massive temptation for me. Sadly, or not, I’ve topped them up twice this year already, and they’re at my max spend on a given stock limit.

Ian.

Same here: at 1.33x median, and over 4% of income, I shall sit on my hands.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 19th, 2018, 8:09 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Same here: at 1.33x median, and over 4% of income, I shall sit on my hands.

Great minds think alike and all that Arb. Although I'd hardly call mine great. ;) It's not HYP thinking, but I don't mind being slightly overweight on IMB. I think all the negativity on tobacco stocks has been overdone, and still regard my IMB and BATS holdings as reliable mainstays in my HYP. Between them they amount to 7.3% in capital value terms of my HYP, with the former weighing in slightly higher than the later. Tobacco holdings are my third largest sector bet.

Ian.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 8:20 am

idpickering wrote:
I think all the negativity on tobacco stocks has been overdone, and still regard my IMB and BATS holdings as reliable mainstays in my HYP.

Between them they amount to 7.3% in capital value terms of my HYP, with the former weighing in slightly higher than the later.

Tobacco holdings are my third largest sector bet.

Just checked my own sector-weighting for Tobacco, and it's 4.07%, with Imperial on 2.68% and BATS on 1.39%.

I try not to have any single-sector holding over a 5% capital-weighting, no matter what my particular thoughts on the sector are. My thoughts have got me in trouble before in this area of portfolio management, so I stick to the 5% 'single-sector' rule fairly religiously now, and can usually manage it quite well just by directing my fresh-capital-and-dividends allocation accordingly, as I'm still working and hence growing my HYP.....

The only two areas where I break the 5%-per-sector rule is in my overall IT holdings at 38% (O/T for this board, but I'm happy that their internal-diversification negates the issue anyway....), and a special-situation regarding a work-related share-scheme at 15%, where I manage that separately as best I can, whilst still taking advantage of the scheme's offer...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 19th, 2018, 8:32 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Just checked my own sector-weighting for Tobacco, and it's 4.07%, with Imperial on 2.68% and BATS on 1.39%.

I try not to have any single-sector holding over a 5% capital-weighting, no matter what my particular thoughts on the sector are. My thoughts have got me in trouble before in this area of portfolio management, so I stick to the 5% 'single-sector' rule fairly religiously now, and can usually manage it quite well just by directing my fresh-capital-and-dividends allocation accordingly, as I'm still working and hence growing my HYP.....

The only two areas where I break the 5%-per-sector rule is in my overall IT holdings at 38% (O/T for this board, but I'm happy that their internal-diversification negates the issue anyway....), and a special-situation regarding a work-related share-scheme at 15%, where I manage that separately as best I can, whilst still taking advantage of the scheme's offer...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Morning Itsallaguess, and thanks for your input. I remember a few years ago that Tobacco was my largest sector holding for a fair while at 10% in capital value terms. About that time I had about 22 holdings on board, so now at 32 holdings I guess it (my tobacco exposure) would've dropped anyway. Nowadays, I try to stick to a 10% maximum sector, and 5% individual share holding ratio. I don't hold any ITs or UTs, just individual stocks.

Regards,

Ian.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 19th, 2018, 9:53 am

I have not been looking too closely at my portfolio's recently (no money to invest syndrome and legacy of Itsallaguess no peak november). But this week did a bit of a tidy up and so this thread made me have a look. In advance will show my IT's in table later as an overall "view", but here is my sector % for the HYP Part.

I have a 10% sector limit but no individual share limit, with only 20 shares in total. Banks I hold HSBC and Lloyds, Telecoms is Vodafone and BT. Utilities is SSE and CNA. Below that is individual share holdings.

On the income side I have set an 8% keep an eye on limit but a 10% you must do something limit (bear in mind I am no longer in the build phase and have limited "new" money but do reinvest divis in my ISA and SIPP (SIPP is a mixture of Shares and IT's but all reinvesment goes into the IT's). The only share from above above 8% income is SSE and that should sort itself out later in the year with the "re-org".

How does this look in my overall portfolio:-

Like TJH I do not put a sector limit on my IT's. At the moment am happy with the set-up and the income is looking good (famous last words). Capital could be better but that is a "nice to have" as long as the income keeps growing at the pace it is (in £ terms that is), am taking roughly 14% of income to help "fund" 4/5 star holidays. Next year get my "state pension", so decision then is do I "retire" totally or keep on part-time. If I stay working then I might start "building again", what fun!!!! :D

As Itsallaguess says, share schemes can "skew" the %'s, I have recently taken Tesco out of my HYP for that reason. I sold all my holdings in my Trading account (at a small profit) but I do get the opportuinty to take my "bonus" in shares, in this case the amount is so small as to be not worrying about, but am 36% up on capital, :oops:
When I was working (blimey that was 16 years ago) in the real world, my "share" options would have been eye watering probably in excess of 40% of portfolio, until sold every year for CGT reasons. I even worked out that in 1985, my IBM shares were 50% of my portfolio, 50% were from a portfolio from the French part of IBM that had profit reinvestment rules for employees. I remember coming back to UK and selling everything and paying 50% cash for a house (a bit of tax avoidance). Sorry for deviation but suddenly realised that I have, in the past made some money from "capital" but I was in my late 20's early 30's and "future income" was not on the horizon then.

Raptor.

BTW.These monthly updates are a great way to keep an eye on what is coming and has helped me as would have missed a couple of specials.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 10:59 am

Raptor wrote:
I have not been looking too closely at my portfolio's recently (no money to invest syndrome and legacy of Itsallaguess no peak november). But this week did a bit of a tidy up and so this thread made me have a look.

Then I've no doubt that you'll be over the moon to hear that I plan on running the 'No Look November' thread again in a couple of months, where those of us honest enough to admit that we struggle with the more 'Dorisian' aspects of portfolio-management can come together for some much-needed moral-support, as we again try to go a full 30-days(*) without looking at the value of our investment portfolios... (** terms and conditions apply...)

I really do think that going through the process last year has helped with my longer-term wish to become much more 'hands-off' with regards to regular 'portfolio-inspection', and many of us were able to go the full month and more last year. For anyone interested, the November 2017 thread is here -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7999

* If a 30-day moratorium on looking at your investment-portfolio seems like a lifetime, then you're just the type of person that the 'No-Look-November' event is aiming to help - and we'll hopefully see you on the thread in November!!

** [size=75]The 'no-look' rules are really to do with the 'normal' day-to-day peeking that we sometimes struggle to stop ourselves doing, which can quickly form into a bad habit where what's supposed to be a 'hands-off' investment-strategy can turn into a regular day-to-day process. It's acknowledged that there may be times, for instance where take-overs are announced or other 'interruption-events' might occur to some holdings, where it's of course accepted that some hands-on portfolio management may be required. Such events would not normally count as 'breaking the intent' of 'No-Look-November'....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

arty

Postby arty » August 19th, 2018, 11:37 am

Raptor: "as would have missed a couple of specials"

I'm curious as to what this means - when reading various other threads in which people mentioned checking whether dividends have arrived I got to wondering - has anyone ever had any experience of them not arriving. I must admit I do often check, but it seems to me as much of a waste of time as checking whether the montly interest has arrived in my bank account - of course it always does.
Or do you mean you'd not have noticed until next time you happened to log in, thus having a small amount of cash (presumably very small in relation to an overall portfolio) sat there on 0% for a short time?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 19th, 2018, 11:41 am

Is there any chance of amending those last few paras, such that they are easier to read please (I'm using a mobile ;-)). Maybe in italics to distinguish from your own words, rather than the size 75 (?) they currently show.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 11:49 am

PinkDalek wrote:
Is there any chance of amending those last few paras, such that they are easier to read please (I'm using a mobile ;-)). Maybe in italics to distinguish from your own words, rather than the size 75 (?) they currently show.

Apologies PD - I didn't consider any potential issues with reading via mobile. Here's the two paragraphs in normal-sized text -

* If a 30-day moratorium on looking at your investment-portfolio seems like a lifetime, then you're just the type of person that the 'No-Look-November' event is aiming to help - and we'll hopefully see you on the thread in November!!

** The 'no-look' rules are really to do with the 'normal' day-to-day peeking that we sometimes struggle to stop ourselves doing, which can quickly form into a bad habit where what's supposed to be a 'hands-off' investment-strategy can turn into a regular day-to-day process. It's acknowledged that there may be times, for instance where take-overs are announced or other 'interruption-events' might occur to some holdings, where it's of course accepted that some hands-on portfolio management may be required. Such events would not normally count as 'breaking the intent' of 'No-Look-November'....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 19th, 2018, 11:53 am

Aha - thanks. I recall that Topic now and will take another look to see how it progressed.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » August 19th, 2018, 11:57 am

arty wrote:Raptor: "as would have missed a couple of specials"

I'm curious as to what this means - when reading various other threads in which people mentioned checking whether dividends have arrived I got to wondering - has anyone ever had any experience of them not arriving. I must admit I do often check, but it seems to me as much of a waste of time as checking whether the montly interest has arrived in my bank account - of course it always does.
Or do you mean you'd not have noticed until next time you happened to log in, thus having a small amount of cash (presumably very small in relation to an overall portfolio) sat there on 0% for a short time?

What happens is that my spreadsheet downloads only the "normal" dividend dates. Thus if I miss an announcement of a "special" I do not take into account what maybe a large dividend income and as I have my ISA and SIPP set up to keep the income, I may miss it. As I reinvest dividends I would prefer to "buy" as soon as I have reached my threshold.

Raptor.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 19th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I shall be foreswearing playing with spreadsheets for the month of September, but I shall be keeping up with events to some extent with a daily look at what is happening, like dividend declaration or corporate actions.

I plan to produce end of week figures after I return, and will receive the daily DigitalLook portfolio updates. I wonder if that counts?

TJH

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2018, 8:41 pm

It's been brought to my attention that some euro-denominated dividend-declarations were not correctly marked as such in my OP, which may lead people to inadvertently think that the figures used are in sterling, when they are not.

Please find below the two companies affected, which were Vodafone and Banco Santander -

I'll be sure to be more careful in future with this type of currency issue, but many thanks to bailey56 for highlighting the above to me, and giving me the opportunity to clear up any confusion in this instance.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 20th, 2018, 6:44 am

arty wrote:Raptor: "as would have missed a couple of specials"

I started recording when my dividends came in, partly to check that I had all that was due to me. However, in over ten years, I don't believe I've ever had to chase a broker for a missing dividend, so from that point of view, it seems a waste of time.

Arb.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 20th, 2018, 8:54 am

Usually, if an expected dividend has not appeared, the reason is usually that I am a month out in what I have recorded. Sometimes it works the other way, with the dividend having been received earlier than I expected.

TJH

arty

Postby arty » August 20th, 2018, 11:35 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Usually, if an expected dividend has not appeared, the reason is usually that I am a month out in what I have recorded. Sometimes it works the other way, with the dividend having been received earlier than I expected.

TJH

Embarrasingly, I once even went as far as calling Iweb to ask where a dividend was before realising that I had noted the ex-divi date as the payment date....

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 8th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Link to the September 2018 dividend thread - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?&t=13586

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”