Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

IDPs HYP as of now.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

IDPs HYP as of now.

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 8:02 am

Morning all. It's been a while since I put my HYP up for all to see, so here it is, for your learned comment if you so desire;

Admiral Group
AstraZeneca
Aviva
BAE Systems
BHP Billiton
BP.
BT Group
British American Tobacco
British Land
Diageo
Direct Line Group
GlaxoSmithKline
HSBC
ITV
Imperial Brands
Legal & General
Lloyds
Marston's
National Grid
Persimmon
Reckitt Benckiser
Rio Tinto
Shell
Royal Mail
SSE
Sainsbury
Standard Life Aberdeen
Taylor Wimpey
Unilever
United Utilities
Vodafone
WPP

As defined by digitallook the sector spread is as follows;

Sector                      %  

Oil & gas 9.1%
Household Goods 7.9%
Tobacco 6.9%
Pharmas 6.9%
Life Insurance 6.7%
Media 6.7%
Non Life Insurance 6.3%
Banks 6.3%
Mining 6.2%
Utilities (gas & water) 6.0%
Mobile Telcos 3.5%
General Finance 3.4%
Food Retail 3.3%
Food Producers 3.2%
Aerospace & Defence 3.0%
Fixed Telcos 3.0%
Electricity 2.8%
Real Estate 2.7%
Travel & Leisure 2.4%
Industrial Transport 2.2%
Beverages 1.6%

It is my intention to top up the lower holdings over the coming months.

Ian.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Re: My HYP as of now.

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » August 24th, 2018, 8:43 am

Moderator Message:
referenced quote deleted on posters request

Thanks for sharing with us Ian.

Best wishes

Mark.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 24th, 2018, 8:46 am

Moderator Message:
referenced quote deleted on posters request.

TUI - isn't there a 26%+ witholding tax on the divi? (Maybe some mitigation possible?)

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » August 24th, 2018, 8:47 am

Moderator Message:

Was going to ask the same thing Ian on the yield. I'll give you the same advice I'm giving myself, keep an eye overall financials exposures, your portfolio is actually more diverse than mine in that regard at only 20 percent, mine has crept to 30 which surprised me, I'm not actually going to actively sell anything just make sure I dontbput new monies into it.

I hold a lot of what you have there, personally I don't have BT or Royal mail and am in no rush to add them, but as with all these portfolios it's really just the personal preference around the edges.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 9:20 am

Moderator Message:
my overall HYP yield is about 5.3%. As for the growth rates, they're not something I've given much thought to. My annual capital values are a bit screwed as I top up my HYP every month. I can tell you that last year, minus new monies invested during 2017, my capital value of the constituents between 01 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 17 was 6.1%. Add that to the divis received makes it about 11% total return for last year. I'm ok with that. The FTSE went up 5.6% for 2o17 I think. BY the way, I had a PM from Raptor and he's changing the title of this thread.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 9:24 am

Moderator Message:
I don't do ITs tbh, but I was looking at topping up British Land perhaps. They've not been that great on capital returns, but it's all about the income, right?

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 10:25 am

Moderator Message:
. I respect your right to invest in whatever, or wherever, and believe in each to their own, and being able to be able to relax is important too. Says he who’s typing on his iPad sat oustside looking at the sea up here in Orkney. :D

My only investments are in my HYP, and have no ITs, UTs or bonds. I am trying to be more hands off nowadays and am happy just HYPing.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 10:35 am

Walrus wrote:
Was going to ask the same thing Ian on the yield. I'll give you the same advice I'm giving myself, keep an eye overall financials exposures, your portfolio is actually more diverse than mine in that regard at only 20 percent, mine has crept to 30 which surprised me, I'm not actually going to actively sell anything just make sure I dontbput new monies into it.

I hold a lot of what you have there, personally I don't have BT or Royal mail and am in no rush to add them, but as with all these portfolios it's really just the personal preference around the edges.

Thanks for your post and words of caution Walrus. Over exposure, apart from being illegal sic, is something I’m very wary and aware of tbh. As I’ve mentioned before, my sector limit is about 10% and 5% per individual holding. I do have concerns regarding Royal Mail and have toyed with dropping them, but then I have a lay down, and remind myself, it’s a HYP, where less interference is better than more imho.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 24th, 2018, 10:47 am

Moderator Message:

If you believe only newcomers refer to "a HYP" rather than "an HYP", think again :) I regard an HYP as both cumbersome and an affectation* so deliberately use a HYP. Yes, I know it's arguable, but I've always said it that way to myself, even though I believe there is a quote on record saying it should be "an aitch-eye-pee".

*an affectation in the sense that "an hotel" is - a left-over from the Anglo-Norman ruling elite.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 11:28 am

Moderator Message:
referenced quote deleted on posters request.
As I mentioned before, I am trying to be a good HYPer by leaving it well alone, mostly. But being human, I do get that itchy 'must do something' feeling, but hold myself back. Not always easy to be fair. I don't profess to being an expert stock picker, and HYPing is my chosen method, and shall continue to be so.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 24th, 2018, 12:07 pm

It may be helpful to point out that many of us have other investments besides an HYP, but we do not discuss them here.

For example, I have a few AIM shares, some OEICs and some ITs but do not discuss them here. They are irrelevant as far as the HYP is concerned, so I don't mention them unless there is some point of comparison to be made.

There are other boards for discussing such investments.

TJH,

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: IDPs HYP as of now.

Postby Raptor » August 24th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Moderator Message:
with Ians approval have edited subjest to "IDPs HYP as of now". There have been quite a few threads with flavours of "MY HYP" and suggestion that we include our name/userid/initials would aid poster/lurkers. Raptor.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: IDPs HYP as of now.

Postby idpickering » August 24th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:
with Ians approval have edited subjest to "IDPs HYP as of now". There have been quite a few threads with flavours of "MY HYP" and suggestion that we include our name/userid/initials would aid poster/lurkers. Raptor.

That is a great idea, thanks Raptor. Here's to seeing yet more HYPs being displayed here. OK, we mostly have similar holdings I guess, but seeing other HYPers wares can throw up some interesting potential new shares to consider. So come on. I've shown you mine.... ;)

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”