Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

SSE PLC - Statement re CMA Provisional Findings

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

SSE PLC - Statement re CMA Provisional Findings

Postby idpickering » August 30th, 2018, 8:15 am

SSE plc (SSE) notes the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)'s publication of the Provisional Findings from its inquiry into the proposed merger of SSE Energy Services, SSE's household energy and services business in GB, and Innogy SE (innogy)'s retail business, npower.

Commenting on the publication, Alistair Phillips-Davies, Chief Executive of SSE plc, said:

"Following a thorough and in-depth investigation, we are pleased the CMA has provisionally concluded that the proposed merger of SSE Energy Services and npower does not raise competition concerns.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/sse-plc-- ... 17152029Z/

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Re: SSE PLC - Statement re CMA Provisional Findings

Postby funduffer » August 30th, 2018, 9:00 am

Thanks Ian.

So what happens next?

I think - my SSE shares get split between 2 companies - the new domestic energy supplier formed by the merging of the SSE and NPower parts that do this, and the remaining rump of SSE?

Another corporate action that disrupts my HYP!

I guess it all depends on the dividend policy of the 2 companies whether any action is required, or maybe I should do a Doris and just ignore it all.

FD

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 30th, 2018, 9:27 am

funduffer wrote:Thanks Ian.

So what happens next?

I think - my SSE shares get split between 2 companies - the new domestic energy supplier formed by the merging of the SSE and NPower parts that do this, and the remaining rump of SSE?

Another corporate action that disrupts my HYP!

I guess it all depends on the dividend policy of the 2 companies whether any action is required, or maybe I should do a Doris and just ignore it all.

FD

Rather puts the mockers on any topping up SSE for a while, is my first thought.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 30th, 2018, 10:27 am

You’re welcome funduffer. I agree with Arb’s sentiments. I would like to top up too, but am waiting until this kerfuffle is over and reassess then.

Ian.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » August 30th, 2018, 11:25 am

Another summary/angle on the news from the Guardian web site this morning...

SSE and Npower merger gets provisional go-ahead
The competition watchdog has given the provisional go-ahead to the merger of Npower and the retail arm of SSE.

The Competition and Markets Authority found that the two firms did not compete closely for customers on the default standard variable tariffs that most people are on. Few people switched between the pair, it added.

A merger between the two would reduce Britain’s “big six” energy providers to five. The newly combined company would have 11 million customers, making it the second biggest UK energy provider after British Gas, which has 12.6 million customers.

The merger is expected to complete in late 2018 or early 2019.

I'm not sure if this link will actually go to the above because it's in a live blog so might be a moving target but I copied the whole think anyway but it's usually considered good form to link to the source of such info so here is the possibly useless link anyway...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... 9a5de6acbd

From the timings mentioned by the Guardian it looks as if we might need to sit on our hands for another 4 or 5 months (late Dec or Jan) for it to have happened.

- Julian

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 30th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Julian wrote:
From the timings mentioned by the Guardian it looks as if we might need to sit on our hands for another 4 or 5 months (late Dec or Jan) for it to have happened.

- Julian

No matter - we are not short of things to top up. Many HYP shares have had a battering or still offer excellent yields.

Arb.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 30th, 2018, 12:11 pm

My approach has been to exclude further top-ups of SSE (and CNA that I also hold) until the split has completed. As I understand 1 share in 'newco' will be received for every 1 SSE share held, there will be no option to receive cash instead. The post-split dividend of SSE is already known, the policy of the newco remains unknown. Which if remains the case at the end of its first day's trading might leave newco in a rather curious state of being both a HYP and non-HYP share at the same time, depending on your pov as a holder, or new buyer.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 30th, 2018, 4:12 pm

funduffer wrote:So what happens next?

Quite easy to find out on the CMA's website, where the article about the SSE/NPower merger is currently the first story. A quote from it:

The CMA now welcomes views and evidence on its provisional decision by 20 September 2018 before coming to a final view. The statutory deadline for the CMA’s final report is 22 October 2018.

Further details are available on the investigation case page.

If one sees an RNS saying that the directors of a company "note" something that another organisation or person has said and wants to know more, trying to find the horse's mouth is always a good idea!

funduffer wrote:I think - my SSE shares get split between 2 companies - the new domestic energy supplier formed by the merging of the SSE and NPower parts that do this, and the remaining rump of SSE?

The CMA's provisional decision doesn't change what is expected to happen, other than to make it look less likely to be blocked by the CMA from actually happening at all.

What's expected to happen is AFAIAA unchanged from what was expected when the shareholder circular was published about 2 months ago, beyond the fact that the company meeting to get shareholder approval for the deal was held in July and the required resolutions were passed. Not that I think there was any real chance of them not being - such resolutions almost always are and any rare exception to that for something being done by a large company is pretty much guaranteed to hit the headlines. I.e. if there had been any trouble about passing the resolutions, we'd have known about it!

funduffer wrote:I guess it all depends on the dividend policy of the 2 companies whether any action is required, or maybe I should do a Doris and just ignore it all.

It's too late to do a proper Doris - she probably wouldn't have known the merger was happening at all, and if she had, she'd have had zero interest in it. So just by posting about it, you've forfeited your Doris credentials! ;-)

But a bit more seriously, the shareholder circular said "MergeCo’s dividend policy is expected to be included in the prospectus relating to the
MergeCo Shares, which is anticipated to be published shortly prior to Admission in the first quarter of 2019.
", so if you want to decide what to do based on the two companies' dividend policies, don't hold your breath - not unless you can hold it for several months...

By the way, "Admission" is defined in the shareholder circular to be "the admission of MergeCo Shares to the premium listing segment of the Official List and to trading on the London Stock Exchange’s main market for listed securities", and the circular's expected timetable has it, the start of trading in the new company's shares, completion of the deal and crediting of the shares to CREST accounts all happening on the same day. That applies both to crediting them to personal CREST accounts and to nominee companies' CREST accounts, which means that holders in nominee accounts should see them only a bit later - just how soon depends on how quickly and efficiently the broker's administration of such events runs. Holders in certificated form may have to wait up to a couple of weeks more for their certificates.

So basically, that advice not to hold one's breath until one knows both companies' dividend policies applies equally well to anything closely associated with the whole deal finally going through. What that basically says to me is that any decision about selling before the deal goes through will also have to be made before I know the new company's dividend policy. Possibly I will get a small window after the prospectus has been published and before the deal actually goes through, but whether I will depends on exactly how "shortly prior" the prospectus publication is: the window might conceivably not include any time the market is open... And even if it does and I can sell during that period, it could well lead to administrative mess (having any sort of share reorganisation happen between a trade being agreed and it settling will require special action by brokers to ensure that everyone gets what they're entitled to...). And in any case, it seems to me that the biggest factor in the future dividend prospects is not the two companies' dividend policies, but the government's policies on gas/electricity companies, and that the dangers of the latter differ markedly for the two companies. So I at least may want to make different decisions about selling the new company and the remainder of SSE - and I cannot sell them independently of each other until after Admission.

So basically, I will simply be waiting and seeing until the whole deal goes through in Q1 next year. Or it doesn't - it's presumably got some more hurdles to clear before then, otherwise it would probably be going through sooner. But it's cleared the hurdle of getting shareholder approval, and today's news makes it look pretty likely to clear the hurdle of getting competition clearance in the next couple of months.

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

SSE - Statement re: CMA Final Report

Postby idpickering » October 10th, 2018, 7:14 am

SSE comments on publication of CMA's Final Report into proposed GB energy retail merger

SSE plc (SSE) welcomes the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)'s publication of its Final Report following the inquiry into the proposed merger of SSE Energy Services, SSE's household energy and services business in GB, and Innogy SE (innogy)'s GB retail business, npower Ltd.

Commenting on the publication, Alistair Phillips-Davies, Chief Executive of SSE plc, said:

"We are very pleased that the Final Report of the CMA's investigation confirms its provisional findings that the proposed merger of SSE Energy Services and npower does not raise any competition concerns

https://www.investegate.co.uk/sse-plc-- ... 04144901D/

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » October 10th, 2018, 11:23 am

Moderator Message:
Have merged these 2. Raptor.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 9th, 2018, 8:46 am

Merger could be delayed as terms of merger being renegotiated due to price cap introduction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46145220

Raptor.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 9th, 2018, 10:33 am

Someone's getting cold feet, I wonder which side. :? :?

This announcement fills me with as much confidence as Dominic Raab's dawning realization that the Dover-Calais crossing is quite important.

(Still holding onto SSE, and not touching for the foreseeable future.)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2018, 11:17 am

moorfield wrote:Someone's getting cold feet, I wonder which side. :? :?

This announcement fills me with as much confidence as Dominic Raab's dawning realization that the Dover-Calais crossing is quite important.

(Still holding onto SSE, and not touching for the foreseeable future.)

Likewise. I'm just leaving them well alone in my HYP. As it should be in HYPdom I guess.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 9th, 2018, 12:34 pm

I would guess that the one getting cold feet is not SSE. Not good news for them I think.

I still hold some and as usual with a partial sale, wish I had sold the lot. I will take a good look at this at the year end when I did a full review of my holdings.

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 9th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Dod101 wrote:I would guess that the one getting cold feet is not SSE. Not good news for them I think.

I still hold some and as usual with a partial sale, wish I had sold the lot. I will take a good look at this at the year end when I did a full review of my holdings.

Dod

=======================

i did have these but sold the LOT last may at 1420.

just too difficult for me to judge.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 9th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I reckon it's more of a setback for Innogy as nPower have been making losses for 3 years and they'd like to shake it off.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 9th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Dod101 wrote:I would guess that the one getting cold feet is not SSE. Not good news for them I think.

Dod

At least you didn't top up at 1390, 1204 and 1260 and not take any profits when they got to almost £14.50; too busy to notice and was trying to be a HYPer. All I can do now is hold and hope. I did toy with the idea this morning of topping up my son's small holding on account of the yield but on reflection I think it is too risky. Everything seems to be going pear shaped at the moment. Oh well, there'll be that much less IHT to pay.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2018, 1:46 pm

With the SSE share price down nearly 4% thus far today, I'm happy enough in my HYP skin to ignore that fact and think longer term.

This from TMF may be of interest;

SSE falls as npower merger is in jeopardy. Would I buy, or avoid, the FTSE 100 dividend stock?

The emergence of the cheap independent energy suppliers and their devastating impact on the traditional ‘Big Six’ suppliers has commanded acres of newsprint since around the turn of the last decade.

It’s a subject that we here at The Motley Fool have covered in no little detail. In an effort to rid itself of these problems, SSE (LSE: SSE) elected to take the bull by the horns and merge its SSE Energy Services division with fellow energy giant npower.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2018/1 ... end-stock/

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 9th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I can reiterate why I sold. The main reason was that I have thought for a long time that their finances are a bit shaky. They have been borrowing rather a lot sometimes, it would seem, to pay the dividend. There is a real political risk from Corbyn and then the price cap. That is too big a list of problems for me to be happy with but my holding was in two separate accounts and I only sold one of them.

I think that SSE were very anxious to rid themselves of this retail problem partly at least because of the price cap. That is why I do not think they will be getting cold feet.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 9th, 2018, 2:03 pm

All there is to say, is well done Dod and Jackdaww :) Your moves were ahead of the curve.

I last topped up in August 2017. First bought in 2012 and I'm 15% underwater at present. Not the best of times - but then this share has never performed for me: XIRR being always near the bottom of the pack, so I'm not sure why people wrote so highly of it at one time.

Back to sleep for me (actually, literally - my after lunch nap beckons!)

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”