Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

GALLIFORD TRY - ANNUAL RESULTS STATEMENT FOR THE YEAR ENDED 30 JUNE 2018

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

GALLIFORD TRY - ANNUAL RESULTS STATEMENT FOR THE YEAR ENDED 30 JUNE 2018

Postby idpickering » September 12th, 2018, 7:06 am

Very strong underlying performance reflecting excellent progress made against strategy to 2021

· 6,193 total new homes built by Linden Homes and Partnerships & Regeneration (2017: 5,490)

· Sales order books in Linden Homes and Partnerships & Regeneration robust at £698m (2017: £638m)

· Successful 1 for 3 rights issue in April 2018 resulting in net proceeds of £150m

· Average net debt at £227m (excluding the rights issue proceeds)

· Full year dividend payment of 77.0p (2017 restated: 86.0p), covered 2.0x by pre-exceptional profits in line with policy announced at the rights issue

· Pre-exceptional return on net assets improved to 29.2% from 27.5%

· On track to achieve Group 2021 strategic targets with adjustments to divisional targets

And later;

DIVIDEND

The Board is committed to a dividend strategy which fairly and prudently allocates profits between returns to shareholders and further investing in the growth potential of the businesses and maintaining a strong balance sheet, which protects against the risks in cyclical markets. We approach this by setting a target level of dividend cover. In our strategy document, published in February 2017, we indicated our intention to increase this cover up to two times during the strategy period. We took the opportunity of the rights issue to accelerate this adjustment, moving immediately to cover of 2.0x, which both provides clarity and enables the dividend to progress in line with profits after the current year.

The directors are recommending a final dividend of 49.0 pence per share which, subject to approval at the AGM, will be paid on 5 December 2018 to shareholders on the register at 9 November 2018. Together with the interim dividend of 28.0 pence per share paid in April, this will result in a total dividend for 2018 of 77.0 pence per share.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/galliford ... 00034687A/

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: GALLIFORD TRY - ANNUAL RESULTS STATEMENT FOR THE YEAR ENDED 30 JUNE 2018

Postby Darka » September 12th, 2018, 8:07 am

Thanks Ian,

I hold and may consider a top-up, the results aren't too bad and I think increasing dividend cover to 2.0 is a good idea, provides us with some protection for the future even though we are seeing a cut this year.

Anyway, could have been worse :D

regards,
Darka

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 12th, 2018, 8:24 am

Cut from 96p last year (32p and 64p)....and after we were tapped for money to cover off additional costs on the Aberdeen peripheral route.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » September 12th, 2018, 8:43 am

monabri wrote:Cut from 96p last year (32p and 64p)....and after we were tapped for money to cover off additional costs on the Aberdeen peripheral route.

Yes a cut on last year, but I took up the rights and my dividend in cash terms is slightly increased on last year (for an approx. 14% extra cash payment). Share price is up 4% as I write so the market likes it.

It means I made a mistake not to move it into my ISA earlier. I'm trying to get as much of my dividend income into my ISA as possible to bring my taxable dividend below £2000. I decided to wait and see what GFRD did with their final dividend as if they chopped it a lot other shares would be a better choice to move, but the increase in price since the beginning of the tax year means I'll be able to move in fewer shares. Best time would have been sometime in July. Still as the yield is still >7% it remains the best share to move.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 12th, 2018, 1:04 pm

daveh wrote:
monabri wrote:Cut from 96p last year (32p and 64p)....and after we were tapped for money to cover off additional costs on the Aberdeen peripheral route.

Yes a cut on last year, but I took up the rights and my dividend in cash terms is slightly increased on last year (for an approx. 14% extra cash payment). ...

Yes - but you can pretty easily boost the dividends that will be paid by any of your holdings by 14% (more than just "slightly", I feel) just by adding cash equal to an extra 14% of their current value! The only real difficulty is getting hold of the cash to make the required purchase...

But similarly, anyone who didn't take up any of their rights will have received a lapsed-rights payment, which is essentially a one-off receipt of cash for losing part of their holding, namely the rights. And it's very easy to take cash out of a holding by selling, with the only penalty being that the holding has less value and produces less in the way of dividends afterwards. The only real difference is that with a rights issue, one doesn't have to actively do anything in order to effectively sell part of the holding...

So neither the -20% reduction suggested by the reduction in the dividend per share from 64p to 49p that monabri mentions nor the slight increase that you've experienced fairly reflects what an investor who kept the same amount of capital in the holding would have experienced. The three main ways of doing that are 'tail swallowing' (selling just enough rights to raise the capital to take up the rest), selling all the rights and reinvesting the proceeds in the shares, and letting all the rights lapse and reinvesting the lapsed-rights payment in the shares. All of those would produce an intermediate outcome on the cash dividends the investor receives, and every one of them involves at least one market trade, so the exact outcome depends on timing. But unless market prices change a great deal during the course of a rights issue, the outcome can be calculated fairly accurately (typically within a percent or two), and companies effectively do such a calculation when they apply rights-issue adjustments to their prior year dividend figures.

So anyone interested in a reasonably accurate fair assessment of what's been done to the dividend in a period when there has been a rights issue should basically look at what the company says in their results announcement. In this case, it's:

"Full year dividend per share5 77.0p 86.0p -10%"

If they go down to the footnotes (quite a way!), they'll find:

"5 2017 restated due to rights issue (note 6)"

and if they head much further down to the notes to the accounts, they'll find:

"6 Dividends

The dividends per ordinary share for 2017 in the tables below have been restated by adjusting those previously reported by an adjusting factor of 0.11147 to reflect the bonus element of the shares issued under the rights issue which completed on 16 April 2018."

In essence, that's saying that the treatment they're using is that of the value of each pre-rights-issue share before the rights were issued, 11.147% (i.e. just over 1/9th) went to the rights, so each post-rights-issue share was only worth 88.853% of what it had been and so only should only be treated as having earned 88.853% of previous dividends. That's basically similar to what happens on share splits and bonus issues, where after e.g. a 2-for-1 share split or a 1-for-1 bonus issue, each share is reckoned to only be worth 50% of a previous share and so only to have earned 50% of previous dividends.

That -10% figure won't perfectly reflect the outcome experienced by every shareholder who went through the rights issue without adding or removing capital to the holding, but it should be pretty close.

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”