Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pleasant week ahead

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pleasant week ahead

Postby Gengulphus » September 24th, 2018, 9:45 am

Lootman wrote:Same here. I look annually to see how they have changed, and to the extent I need to to prepare my tax return, but that's about it. I suppose if someone were literally living month-to-month off only their dividends then the issue might be more critical.

Agreed, but if someone were literally living month-to-month off only their dividends then they would have a lot more issues than just that one! No ability to cope with a dividend cut and no ability to cope with a significant unexpected item of expenditure, for example. And the standard ways of dealing with those issues - i.e. having a safety margin on the dividend income and an 'emergency fund' cash reserve - also deal with the irregular arrival of dividends.

Gengulphus

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 24th, 2018, 9:53 am

onthemove wrote:Has there been a change in rules or regs that's now causing a synchronisation of dividends?

OK, september was always a nice month, but only usually moderately so.

But this year a number of companies that used to pay slightly later in the year have now shifted to payment in september.

It's nice for september, but it now means 6 subsequent months of below average dividends.
Feb and March have always been slow for me, but now october, november and december are looking fairly slow now as well.

I had been trying to spread my dividends out - where there's been a choice of candidates, those paying in 'low' months have always had a couple extra points in their favour.

Is it just a quirk / coincidence, or is something now synchronising them?

Can't say I've noticed any significant change. Here are the (non-special) dividends for my HYP which has been relatively static for the past 10 years or so

--kiloran

NeilW
Lemon Slice

Postby NeilW » September 24th, 2018, 10:44 am

I'm with Bogart on the vital need for an FU fund.

https://sixdegreesoffilm.com/2014/10/27/bogeys-f-u-money/

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”