Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

BATS - CEO "retires"

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: BATS - CEO "retires"

Postby Arborbridge » September 26th, 2018, 7:01 am

Dod101 wrote:To Arb, YeeWo et al, the background I found for my post timed at 5.10 pm made me revise my earlier comments about the dividends being dearly bought, as I hoped I had made clear (that is once I had taken a good look at the share price and dividends over a longish period)

When I use the expression 'dearly bought' I mean if you are buying a good yield at the expense of capital value that is surely 'dearly bought' As anyone who reads my ramblings knows I am not a pure HYPer in that I think that capital does matter.

Dod

I'm still a little confused about what your posts really mean :?
I can see that what you meant might have been: "anyone who bought at £55 would have paid dearly for the dividend because the share price has dropped since". That would be true, except that a HYPer would probably not have bought at that time because BATs yield then, would have been unlikely to have put the company in the buy or topup zone for most of us. Only someone like yourself who buys lower yields might have done that. So your phrase "dearly bought" might apply to a specific time when the yield was low and the price high.

But then you've used the phrase "as I have said many times" and here, perhaps I fell into the trap of making an assumption. That phrase doesn't sound like it referred to a particular period of time, so I thought you meant "as I have said many times" referring to a period of some years. That, BATs, in other words, over a HYPer's perspective has been a poor investment because the capital price hasn't increased enough to compensate for the dividends withdrawn. In response, I suggested that BATs had been a very satisfactory investment - very much odds with your apparent opinion that the dividend has been dearly bought, as you claim to have warned us many times.

I apologise if I misinterpreted, but I plead that what you wrote was not clear and left some ambiguity.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 26th, 2018, 7:13 am

Hi Arb

Well often enough some HYPers will go for a share with a high yield only to discover that the yield is 'dearly bought'. Quite often in recent times a yield has been high because the share has dropped in value, and then continues dropping. That has not happened with BAT unless they bought at well over £40. I guess it would still have been a decent enough yield then, although not in HYP territory for many.

I think this has been done to death now and I will leave it at that. I may say I am content with BAT as a continuing long term HYP share.

Dod

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » September 26th, 2018, 7:33 am

Moderator Message:
Can we stop the in fighting and get back to the OPs post. Any further posts may be deleted or edited. Thanks for your compliance. Raptor

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 26th, 2018, 10:34 am

Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:
Can we stop the in fighting and get back to the OPs post. Any further posts may be deleted or edited. Thanks for your compliance. Raptor

I believe this is to misunderstand the conversation between myself and Dod. We are not infighting but trying to understand what was meant. In order to discuss the way we approach our investments we need to make sure the language is clear, which is occasionally isn't. There is no fight between Dod and myself: we almost always are in agreement, so there is no "in" or "out" :)

Thanks to Dod's contribution and various questions to him, we now understand what he was driving at which was formerly not clear. This is a discussion board, after all :?

Arb.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 26th, 2018, 12:07 pm

On the "dearly bought" thing, which I think is now agreed to mean a circumstance where a high yield at time of purchase has later been seen to be accompanied by a "price paid" in terms of depreciation in the capital value, I do note that in BATS' case my quick calculation just now shows a 195.2p annual dividend on a current share price of 3537p = ~5.52%.

BATS was one of my first purchases when I started my HYP back in September 2001. Looking at a bit of that early data just now I see March 2002 showing trailing annual divis of 32p on a price of 641p (~4.99% yield) and March 2003 35.2p trailing annual divi on a price of 621p (~5.67% yield). I can't be bothered to trawl all the data to check my memory but I'm pretty sure that at times in the early and/or mid 2000s when I was looking at top-ups I even saw BATS yield break above 6%.

Given how, from the perspective of the early 2000s, BATS future panned out from those yield levels it makes me pretty sanguine about BATS current yield and that it is not too high such that it makes me fear that some sort of catastrophe awaits in the future.

- Julian

stacpo

Postby stacpo » September 26th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Due to a good level of dividends received over the past month giving me enough funds for a top up, plus the current yield on offer, I decided to take advantage of the Halifax cheap dealing situation and increase my holding in BATS. No doubt the share price will continue to fall.

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » October 8th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I've added some more BATS this morning also at £34.45. BAT is now my largest holding in a 21 share portfolio, my average holding price is £41.92 representing an XIRR of -19.37%. Being Optimistic - Credit Suisse reiterated their Target Price of £52.50 for BAT on the 5th October, the dividend looks both high and secure while I wait! GLA.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 8th, 2018, 2:28 pm

YeeWo wrote:I've added some more BATS this morning also at £34.45. BAT is now my largest holding in a 21 share portfolio, my average holding price is £41.92 representing an XIRR of -19.37%. Being Optimistic - Credit Suisse reiterated their Target Price of £52.50 for BAT on the 5th October, the dividend looks both high and secure while I wait! GLA.

I think you should be commended for topping up your BATS holdings IMHO. I topped mine up in June this year, buying in at £38.72p per share. I've held BATS since 15 Dec 2006, and my average purchase cost is £21.71p per share. They've performed admirably for me over the years I've held them. My BATs sit alongside my Imperial Brands IMB holdings in my HYP, and between them they account for 6.4% in capital value terms of my 32 share HYP. I guess I could top up further, but am looking elsewhere currently.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”