Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Shell - Advance notice of Q3 2018 results announcement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Shell - Advance notice of Q3 2018 results announcement

Postby idpickering » October 8th, 2018, 2:36 pm

The Hague, October 8th 2018 - On Thursday November 1st at 07.00 GMT (08.00 CET and 03.00 EDT) Royal Dutch Shell plc will release its third quarter results and third quarter interim dividend announcement for 2018.

These announcements will be available on http://www.shell.com/investors.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-dut ... 1438P8E22/

No doubt I'll be the early bird that day, as I continue my notification service. :D

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Shell - Advance notice of Q3 2018 results announcement

Postby moorfield » October 8th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Note that the "Pounds sterling and euro equivalents announcement date" doesn't happen for another month after that, on 6 December. This is a favourite day of mine because it normally marks my de facto "year end" - ie. the day on which my overall income for the year is finalised, and I can pack up the spreadsheets in time for the Christmas break.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 8th, 2018, 5:59 pm

moorfield wrote:Note that the "Pounds sterling and euro equivalents announcement date" doesn't happen for another month after that, on 6 December. This is a favourite day of mine because it normally marks my de facto "year end" - ie. the day on which my overall income for the year is finalised, and I can pack up the spreadsheets in time for the Christmas break.

Interesting, because I have several after that date, the last being on the 31st in 2017 so I don't bother to check until New Year. At this Q3 stage, it seems there's a good chance that my hoped for income of 6.4p per unit could actually happen - but I'm not saying it will. The income up to now is 5.9p.
Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 9th, 2018, 8:21 am

Arborbridge wrote:
moorfield wrote:Note that the "Pounds sterling and euro equivalents announcement date" doesn't happen for another month after that, on 6 December. This is a favourite day of mine because it normally marks my de facto "year end" - ie. the day on which my overall income for the year is finalised, and I can pack up the spreadsheets in time for the Christmas break.

Interesting, because I have several after that date, the last being on the 31st in 2017 so I don't bother to check until New Year. At this Q3 stage, it seems there's a good chance that my hoped for income of 6.4p per unit could actually happen - but I'm not saying it will. The income up to now is 5.9p.

Are you actually talking about the same thing?

I can very well imagine a "Pounds sterling and euro equivalents announcement date" on December 6th being the last announcement in a calendar year that determines the sterling amount of a dividend that is paid in that calendar year, given that there are usually at least several weeks between company results and dividend payment and that the sterling amounts of most dividends are announced in company results (it's only when the company declares its dividends in a non-sterling currency and wants to give shareholders a chance to respond with currency and/or scrip elections before payment that a later sterling amount announcement is needed).

On the other hand, it would be a fairly unusual HYP for which the last dividend paid in a calendar year was paid as early as December 6th, given that BP, Imperial Brands, Royal Dutch Shell and Unilever all normally pay rather later in the month. So I wonder whether you're perhaps talking at cross-purposes, moorfield about when the payment amounts become known (*) and Arborbridge about when the payments are actually made?

(*) Though pedantically speaking, they don't become absolutely 100% known until they're actually paid. That distinction only very rarely matters - the last occasion I know of when it actually made a difference for a HYP share was for BP's 2010 Q1 interim payment, which was cancelled just a few days before it was due to be made.

Gengulphus

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 9th, 2018, 8:32 am

Gengulphus wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
moorfield wrote:So I wonder whether you're perhaps talking at cross-purposes, moorfield about when the payment amounts become known (*) and Arborbridge about when the payments are actually made?

(*) Though pedantically speaking, they don't become absolutely 100% known until they're actually paid. That distinction only very rarely matters - the last occasion I know of when it actually made a difference for a HYP share was for BP's 2010 Q1 interim payment, which was cancelled just a few days before it was due to be made.

Yes, I'm talking about when the payment becomes known, and choosing not to be pedantic about the distinction between known and paid.

Imperial Brands for example, pays its last dividend of the calendar year on 31 December, but that will be known on 6 November when its results are published.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 9th, 2018, 8:50 am

moorfield wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Yes, I'm talking about when the payment becomes known, and choosing not to be pedantic about the distinction between known and paid.

Imperial Brands for example, pays its last dividend of the calendar year on 31 December, but that will be known on 6 November when its results are published.

Well spotted, Gengulphus.
I never count any dividends when they are known, only when they are paid.
I'm interested in money in the bank so the "year end" is total income, not total promises.

I don't think difference between a promise and the execution thereof is pedantic :) They are quite different events, though one hopes one leads to the other.

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”