Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

OLTB's HYP - topped up Vodafone

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: OLTB's HYP - topped up Vodafone

Postby Gengulphus » October 15th, 2018, 1:58 pm

88V8 wrote:
idpickering wrote:
monabri wrote:I see that the yield on BATS ... is currently 5.97% ... Which one is the one most likely to maintain and/or grow the dividend

To be honest monabri, I have no concerns regarding either of them doing just that.

LSE, the source to which I habitually and perhaps erroneously go for thumbnails has a yield of 5.3% this morning http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?SharePrice=bats.

I suspect that's the result of the change of payment frequency and a rather unusual bit of dividend declaration by BATS. In their 2017 final results in February, they said:

"On 26 April 2017, the Group announced its move to quarterly dividends with effect from 1 January 2018. Further to that announcement, the Board has declared an interim dividend of 195.2p per ordinary share of 25p, payable in four equal quarterly instalments of 48.8p per ordinary share in May 2018, August 2018, November 2018 and February 2019. This represents an increase of 15.2% on 2016 (2016: 169.4p per share), and a payout ratio, on 2017 adjusted diluted earnings per share, of 69%."

I.e. they actually declared four interim dividend payments for 2018 for about 3, 6, 9 and 12 months after the announcement, rather than just announcing an intention to pay them. I don't think there's a legal difference - IIRC interim dividends can be changed by the directors at any time prior to them becoming actual liabilities owed to the shareholders on their payment date - but a dividend declaration does create a much stronger expectation that the dividend will be paid than a mere statement of intent.

The dividenddata dividend history page makes it plain that they have accepted 195.2p as the total dividend for 2018, and their yield page's figure of 5.97% is the (correctly rounded to 2 decimal places) result of dividing that by the over-the-weekend closing price of 3272p. According to your link, the LSE's yield figure is based on a dividend of 174.6p, and a bit of experimenting says that that's probably the (similarly rounded) result of dividing that dividend figure by the current price. The 174.6p figure appears to be the 2016 final of 118.1p plus the 2017 interim of 56.5p - I haven't quite worked out why the LSE is using that figure, but my best guess is that it's because the most recent rolling total that isn't distorted by the switch from half-yearly to quarterly payments.

Anyway, it looks as though dividenddata is using a dividend figure that anticipates more future payments than usual and the LSE a total dividend figure that is more out of date than either a historical or a rolling historical figure would normally be. Both appear to have been set off by the half yearly -> quarterly payment frequency change, but they've gone off in opposite directions to do so - hence the fairly substantial difference...

Gengulphus

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 15th, 2018, 4:15 pm

88V8 wrote:Is Vodafone really an HYP share?
Given its hugely uncovered divi, and unestablished business model?

LSE gives a yield of 8.66% http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?sha ... DAFONE_GRP. which is a red flag, although if I were considering a purchase I would want to establish its veracity.

I do hold, but wonder whether I should.

V8

I've been wondering that for some years, and have a couple of times asked people to explain the lousy cover. However, recently, TJH pointed out that there is not much wrong with the cash flow which in my view takes some of the concern away.
And whether it is a "HYP share" depends on how you define that and how many bells and whistles you want to look at. I think VOD fulfills all the oft quoted characteristics of a HYP share, does it not? so I guess it is, until proven otherwise.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 15th, 2018, 4:35 pm

I've been keeping a watchful eye on Vodafone regarding the supposed lack of cover for some time. My concerns are eased by the fact that, IMHO you could find fault with a number of my holdings in my HYP if you looked hard enough. I've watched their cash flow etc with interest with regards them being able to afford to pay their dividend, and am happy to continue holding my VOD shares, and top them up later this month too. Also my concerns are sated for me as they are one of thirty two holdings in my HYP.

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 15th, 2018, 4:45 pm

idpickering wrote:I've been keeping a watchful eye on Vodafone regarding the supposed lack of cover for some time. My concerns are eased by the fact that, IMHO you could find fault with a number of my holdings in my HYP if you looked hard enough. I've watched their cash flow etc with interest with regards them being able to afford to pay their dividend, and am happy to continue holding my VOD shares, and top them up later this month too. Also my concerns are sated for me as they are one of thirty two holdings in my HYP.

Ian.

=====================

dividend cover was not mentioned in the PYAD articles , so it must be down to exercising personal judgement .

most of the usual HYP picks do have some sort of downsides , i dont know of a perfect one .

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 15th, 2018, 4:54 pm

jackdaww wrote:
idpickering wrote:I've been keeping a watchful eye on Vodafone regarding the supposed lack of cover for some time. My concerns are eased by the fact that, IMHO you could find fault with a number of my holdings in my HYP if you looked hard enough. I've watched their cash flow etc with interest with regards them being able to afford to pay their dividend, and am happy to continue holding my VOD shares, and top them up later this month too. Also my concerns are sated for me as they are one of thirty two holdings in my HYP.

Ian.

=====================

dividend cover was not mentioned in the PYAD articles , so it must be down to exercising personal judgement .

most of the usual HYP picks do have some sort of downsides , i dont know of a perfect one .

Well said jackdaw. I used to think BATS was the perfect HYP share. Mind you, with the lower sp/higher yield maybe they're even more so now. ;)

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 15th, 2018, 6:06 pm

I have a feeling that how to judge "sustainability of income" was left as a point open to interpretation. The original guidelines were (IIRC) only a starting point for further investigation.

No doubt a HYP 'istorian could clear this up.

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”