Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Berkeley (BKG) share buybacks

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Davidsb
2 Lemon pips

Berkeley (BKG) share buybacks

Postby Davidsb » October 16th, 2018, 9:28 am

The 'total returns to shareholders' for BKG's interim dividend period started at £139.2m, or just over £1.05 per share

Having spent £103.2m of the total on share buy-backs since 17th August, the interim dividend is now down to just under 28p per share.

At this rate, there won't be an interim dividend at all.....

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Re: Berkeley (BKG) share buybacks

Postby spiderbill » October 16th, 2018, 1:45 pm

...and given the plunge in share price over the buyback period (not just the recent downturn) the theory that buybacks help the share price seems a tad hard to justify.
Wishing I'd sold at 4300p.
Sell now while I'm still (just) in profit or hold for a general market recovery...?

Horsey
Lemon Pip

Postby Horsey » October 17th, 2018, 6:13 am

spiderbill wrote:...and given the plunge in share price over the buyback period (not just the recent downturn) the theory that buybacks help the share price seems a tad hard to justify.
Wishing I'd sold at 4300p.
Sell now while I'm still (just) in profit or hold for a general market recovery...?

Sit tight.
Wait 30 years.
Wonder what all the fuss was about.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » October 17th, 2018, 11:52 am

Horsey wrote:Sit tight.
Wait 30 years.
Wonder what all the fuss was about.

Why? It was bought mainly for the dividend, it's failed to deliver that (last time I did the calculation it was giving about 2.7% instead of around 5.7%) and has instead pursued a buy-back strategy that has given me no benefit whatsoever (unless you think the sp would have dropped even more without it). IMO it's no longer a HYP share and as far as I can see it shows no prospect of becoming one again in the future short of a major reversal in board policy.

Spiderbill

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » October 17th, 2018, 10:56 pm

I swapped BKG for Barratt at close to high watermark. No idea if from a capital perspective that was a good or a bad thing as I do not follow shares I have sold, but for dividends it was definitely the right thing to do.

Terry.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 20th, 2018, 12:24 am

BKG was my biggest holding for years. Then the mega share grants/bonuses the Board started to grant themselves turned me off. Then they started spending 'our' div on under-pinning 'their' huge stock holdings via buy-backs. A year or two back I bailed out and re-invested in something NOT run by a 'father + son' who clearly dominate the entire culture of the company. Feels safer and more 'democratic' and glad I did so; vs how I sense BKG as a 'family fiefdom' in retrospect.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 7th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Other than top-slicing I don't normally sell shares. But two things are irritating me with Berkeley Group. One of them is the uncertainty of dividend because of this policy of share buy-backs, which simply prevents me from foreseeing to any degree of accuracy what dividend I might hope for in the upcoming year; and the other is that I don't understand when their dividends might turn up. They seem to pay an indeterminate amount of interims and then sometimes a final, well that's how it seems to me. So in my list of anticipated payments, unlike any other company, there does not appear to be a set (approximate) date that repeats itself.

What with the uncertainty of the dividend amount and the (to me) strange payment schedule I am considering ditching them in favour of a company with a slightly more predictable dividend.

Chris
PS I bought between May and July of 2015 and the AER of the three tranches is currently 7.6%, 6.1%, and 4.5%.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 7th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Well, PSN went XD today but there's always Taylor Wimp.

The interim was 2.44p - so just over 9% yield.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”