Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

CMA probes impact of Sainsbury-Asda tie-up on grocery prices, suppliers

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

CMA probes impact of Sainsbury-Asda tie-up on grocery prices, suppliers

Postby idpickering » October 16th, 2018, 2:28 pm

The Competition and Markets Authority has outlined which areas it will probe as part of an investigation into J Sainsbury’s £15bn merger with rival supermarket chain Asda.

The CMA referred the proposed deal for investigation last month, and today said groceries (both in-store and online), fuel and general merchandise – with a focus on toys, small electricals and children’s clothing, including school uniforms – would be of specific interest.

Stuart McIntosh, chair of the group that is carrying out the probe, said: “Millions of people shop at Asda and Sainsbury’s every week, so it is essential we carry out a thorough investigation into their proposed merger.

Our job is to find out whether the merger will result in people paying more or being faced with less choice or a poorer-quality shopping experience.

https://uk.webfg.com/news/m-a/cma-probe ... 41620.html

Possibly due to the above, SBRY are currently down 2%?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: CMA probes impact of Sainsbury-Asda tie-up on grocery prices, suppliers

Postby Dod101 » October 16th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Surely that can have come as no surprise to the market so I think the downward movement in Sainsbury is simply market noise.
Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 16th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Dod101 wrote:Surely that can have come as no surprise to the market so I think the downward movement in Sainsbury is simply market noise.
Dod

I hear you Dod, and I do agree with you. Hence my use of the word ‘may’ in my opening post.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 16th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Tesco and Marks are down considerably more, MRW up slightly. Probably market noise, or maybe "the market" thinks CMA approval will happen, which is why the other two big ones are down.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 17th, 2018, 5:59 am

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Surely that can have come as no surprise to the market so I think the downward movement in Sainsbury is simply market noise.
Dod

I hear you Dod, and I do agree with you. Hence my use of the word ‘may’ in my opening post.

Ian.

I'm surprised that the pedantic amongst us didn't pick me up on my slight error yesterday. I used the word 'possibly' not 'may' in my opening post. ;)

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”