Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Unilever 3rd Quarter Trading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Unilever 3rd Quarter Trading Statement

Postby Arborbridge » October 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
If you watch for problems you will see them.

I think there's some truth in that. The more we read the boards and news outlets and over-analyse situtations, the more we dwell on it. When I good away for a month or so, my HYP rolls along without any anxiety, and I expect it would for years if I left it alone.

There are people who are happy doing this. Breelander, and Miner 1000 I believe, rarely make any changes at all.

I've been positively lavish this year: selling Carillion, Interserve and even worse, Marks and Spencer. 2017 there was one complete sell of Go-Ahead Group. Poor GOG never did me any harm, but I read too much in the news a became nervous.

Arb.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 21st, 2018, 9:52 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:
If you watch for problems you will see them.

I think there's some truth in that. The more we read the boards and news outlets and over-analyse situtations, the more we dwell on it. When I good away for a month or so, my HYP rolls along without any anxiety, and I expect it would for years if I left it alone.

There are people who are happy doing this. Breelander, and Miner 1000 I believe, rarely make any changes at all.

I've been positively lavish this year: selling Carillion, Interserve and even worse, Marks and Spencer. 2017 there was one complete sell of Go-Ahead Group. Poor GOG never did me any harm, but I read too much in the news a became nervous.

Arb.

If you want to see an example of enforced and near frantic trading, see my post viewtopic.php?p=175225#p175225 on the Portfolio Management board. 2008 was an exceptional year of course. In normal times I would not expect to dispose of a holding during the course of a year, except because of a takeover.

TJH

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » October 21st, 2018, 1:50 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
I don't agree. Yield is not secondary. The method is to go down the list selecting by high yield, and then choosing those which are "diverse". If the yield criterion isn't satisfied, you do not buy the diversity, but wait until the yield is above the required lower limit.
What you've written above - if I've read it correctly - would appear to misunderstand the HYP method.

Arb.

The method? I wasn't aware that there was one agreed method for building a HYP, or certainly not if you take the stance that HYP is about an above average portfolio yield. My preference is to sacrifice a bit on this average yield for some shares in order to include representation from large and important sectors of the economy.

As long as the guidelines of the HYP Practical board are met then how you build your HYP is really up to your own preference. You may have many more "buying" criteria than the guidelines. You may also set yourself some "sell" criteria.

In the beginning I followed PYAD as close as I could but found it harder as I went on and my portfolio grew, also I learnt what I felt comfortable with and also my mistakes.

Raptor.

miner1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby miner1000 » October 23rd, 2018, 3:51 am

Quite correct Arb, the last time I sold a share in anger was BP after the Deepwater Horizon debacle and I used the proceeds to buy Shell the same day.

This approach is not without its disappointments of course. I lost out on Carillion and I still hold Tesco, but overall my portfolio value is up and the yield more than meets my expectations so I am happy and sleep soundly at night.

I must get around to posting an update of my portfolio but I never seem to have the time.

Regards,

Miner

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » October 23rd, 2018, 7:04 am

Raptor wrote:As long as the guidelines of the HYP Practical board are met then how you build your HYP is really up to your own preference. You may have many more "buying" criteria than the guidelines. You may also set yourself some "sell" criteria.

In the beginning I followed PYAD as close as I could but found it harder as I went on and my portfolio grew, also I learnt what I felt comfortable with and also my mistakes.

Raptor.

My bold.

A little overstating the power of the HYP Practical board rules I suspect. Surely you can build your HYP however you want irrespective of the rules on this board, it is just that if your HYP does not comply with those rules you cannot post about it here. ;)

Terry.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 23rd, 2018, 7:36 am

Wizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:As long as the guidelines of the HYP Practical board are met then how you build your HYP is really up to your own preference. You may have many more "buying" criteria than the guidelines. You may also set yourself some "sell" criteria.

Raptor.

My bold.

A little overstating the power of the HYP Practical board rules I suspect. Surely you can build your HYP however you want irrespective of the rules on this board, it is just that if your HYP does not comply with those rules you cannot post about it here. ;)

Terry.

You can do what you like, but it wouldn't be HYP as we know it, Jim :lol:

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”