Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Some Favourites on Offer

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Some Favourites on Offer

Postby IanTHughes » November 2nd, 2018, 4:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:[My investment in Aviva from 2007 is still under water, and Luni's opinion was always that it would repeat a cycle of dividend building and failure. My experience is not a happy one (XIRR 2.2%, and this includes dividends), whereas VOD hasn't put a foot wrong, though I always suspect it might! Its history since 2006 when I added it, has been far more satisfctory than Aviva.

Luni is not the only one. I am on record as saying much the same of RSA and Aviva because of their baggage. I would not buy either.

Yes, I remember that on TMF.

Aviva PLC (AV) was one of the first four holdings in my HYP. I bought in February 2012, at a price of 363.978p on a yield of just over 7.00%. The almost immediately announced final dividend was a small increase and the following interim was a hold from the previous year. There then followed a profit warning and a large drop in the dividend.

At this point both you and Luniversal advised me to sell as Aviva was "never" going to produce the income an HYP needed. The Compounded Annualised Growth Rate (CAGR) since purchase on this position is currently 8.45%, so I am mighty glad I ignored such knee-jerk nonsense. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with AV as an HYP constituent, as long as it is bought at the right price.

Ian
Last edited by IanTHughes on November 2nd, 2018, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 2nd, 2018, 4:15 pm

Purchase Norwich Union on demutualisation - some purchases since. Showing a capital performance of 2.65%pa from XIRR plus dividends of ~ 50% of the present value of the shares. So for me its been an OK performer some where in the middle performance wise of the shares I hold.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 2nd, 2018, 5:58 pm

IanTHughes wrote:[
At this point both you and Luniversal advised me to sell as Aviva was "never" going to produce the income an HYP needed. The Compounded Annualised Growth Rate (CAGR) since purchase on this position is currently 8.45%, so I am mighty glad I ignored such knee-jerk nonsense. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with AV as an HYP constituent, as long as it is bought at the right price.

If you can remember my saying that, you have a better memory than me. I would ask you to consider your language because we can have our different opinions without resorting to such phrases as 'knee jerk nonsense' as though you are expressing fact. It is your opinion only.

Dod

Quint
2 Lemon pips

Postby Quint » November 2nd, 2018, 8:54 pm

You can buy the right share at the wrong time or the wrong share at the right time. Ideally we would like to buy the right share at the right time but how often do we manage it

I am 40% down on BT in my fund account with yield on purchase at around 5% then I recently put some in my wife's SIPP which is showing a capital gain of 25% and yield on purchase of around 7% (yields are approximate and off the top of my head).

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 3rd, 2018, 7:25 am

IanTHughes wrote:
Aviva PLC (AV) was one of the first four holdings in my HYP. I bought in February 2012, at a price of 363.978p on a yield of just over 7.00%. The almost immediately announced final dividend was a small increase and the following interim was a hold from the previous year. There then followed a profit warning and a large drop in the dividend.

Ian

An example where a little bit of courage and luck worked out well. I bought again in Feb 2013, then further in 2016, but with the benefit of hindsight would have been better buying just after the cut. Of course, HYPers do not normally do such a thing, do they? Or those that do might equally, come a cropper.

Time-ing, again is important - if the gods smile on one.

My "mistake" was starting HYP at the end of 2006, which caused my AV. shares to suffer the brunt of the turndown, a shock from which they have scarcely recovered. Had I started in 2010, no doubt the outturn would have been different.

Fortunes of war.

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”