Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

HYP1 is 18

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: HYP1 is 18

Postby Dod101 » November 18th, 2018, 7:09 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:What I do see is that the certainty of an income sacrifice of 8% is not gaining me very much with regard to decreased risk.

I would not have allowed HYP1 to get to the stage it is now at anyway (nor would many I suspect, possibly including yourself) so what may be termed an insurance premium of 8% is unrealistic but some loss of income would be acceptable to me if it were to produce a better spread source of income. Your 8% sacrifice as you put it is only meaningful if you inherited HYP1 as it currently stands.

Not at all, what you are now suggesting is that the extra income generated by HYP1, and the capital for that matter, would have been sacrificed in small stages along the way.

The overall Portfolio Income and Capital would be lower, but it would be beautifully balanced!

Ian

Not necessarily beautifully balance but altogether much less risky. I look forward to your portfolio disclosure which I am sure will have Persimmon at about 60% , BAT & HSBC at around 20% each and the final 10% spread out amongst a motley crew.

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 18th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:I look forward to your portfolio disclosure which I am sure will have Persimmon at about 60% , BAT & HSBC at around 20% each and the final 10% spread out amongst a motley crew.

Dod

Are you suggesting IanTHughes is innumerate?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 18th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Sorry if it is I who appears innumerate. Quite right, of course. Let's say 15% each and the final 10% to the motley crew. Getting a bit late by my standards!

Dod

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 18th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I'll end with one question of my own Ian, if I may - if you inherited £155,583 tomorrow, would you go happily out and invest it all in HYP1 as it currently stands?

If you wouldn't, could you please explain the reasons why?

I wouldn't no. I appreciate the context of the question was about its balance, but for starters HYP1 contains a few low yielders - Pearson @ 1.9% anyone? - which no longer qualifies them as candidates for new HYPs today.

pyad
Lemon Slice

Postby pyad » November 19th, 2018, 9:18 am

Itsallaguess wrote:...I'll end with one question of my own Ian, if I may - if you inherited £155,583 tomorrow, would you go happily out and invest it all in HYP1 as it currently stands?

If you wouldn't, could you please explain the reasons why?...

A pointless rhetorical question as you know. The primary reason, as requested, why nobody would be advised to do so is that one of the fundamental HYP construction rules is equal investment at cost. Another reason is that some of the shares would no longer qualify as good HYP selections.

But it's a pointless question because HYP1 was set up by me as tinkerfree with the unavoidable effect that it will be unbalanced from day one though the degree of imbalance will fluctuate over time as different shares jockey for position. The idea behind a tinkerfree HYP is that once set up, you let market trading take over the managment so that the only decisions required of the investor are when mandatory corporate action such as a bid, cash return, demerger and so on compels some action on reinvesting cash etc.

Why tinkerfree? Because as I've said repeatedly, I believe MT will beat tinkering for most, simply because investors in general make very poor trading decisions. Necessarily, I'm addressing my comments to the whole HYPing community and as with any generality a few individuals may be able to benefit from tinkering over MT. But the majority in my view won't. They think they can but over rate their own non existent skills.

If I had to identify the principal weakness of the tinkerer, it is probably in dumping shares too soon that go on to be decent and in a few cases, outstanding, income performers and probably as a result capital too, though that should be secondary or irrelevant. Sometimes they may be taken over for cash which is usually highly beneficial. These shares way more than compensate for the duds that the smug tinkerer congratulates himself on having avoided.

This debate arises every year but what is is about tinkerless that youse lot don't get? You aint gonna change HYP1 into a tinkerful portofolio.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 19th, 2018, 9:41 am

pyad wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:...I'll end with one question of my own Ian, if I may - if you inherited £155,583 tomorrow, would you go happily out and invest it all in HYP1 as it currently stands?

If you wouldn't, could you please explain the reasons why?...

A pointless rhetorical question as you know. The primary reason, as requested, why nobody would be advised to do so is that one of the fundamental HYP construction rules is equal investment at cost. Another reason is that some of the shares would no longer qualify as good HYP selections.

But it's a pointless question because HYP1 was set up by me as tinkerfree with the unavoidable effect that it will be unbalanced from day one though the degree of imbalance will fluctuate over time as different shares jockey for position. The idea behind a tinkerfree HYP is that once set up, you let market trading take over the managment so that the only decisions required of the investor are when mandatory corporate action such as a bid, cash return, demerger and so on compels some action on reinvesting cash etc.

Why tinkerfree? Because as I've said repeatedly, I believe MT will beat tinkering for most, simply because investors in general make very poor trading decisions. Necessarily, I'm addressing my comments to the whole HYPing community and as with any generality a few individuals may be able to benefit from tinkering over MT. But the majority in my view won't. They think they can but over rate their own non existent skills.

If I had to identify the principal weakness of the tinkerer, it is probably in dumping shares too soon that go on to be decent and in a few cases, outstanding, income performers and probably as a result capital too, though that should be secondary or irrelevant. Sometimes they may be taken over for cash which is usually highly beneficial. These shares way more than compensate for the duds that the smug tinkerer congratulates himself on having avoided.

This debate arises every year but what is is about tinkerless that youse lot don't get? You aint gonna change HYP1 into a tinkerful portofolio.

Bravo Stephen! Have a rec sir. I've been reading this thread and shaking my head in disbelief at some of the contributions, and keeping out of it. HYP1 is tinkerless, that's it, and it proves that it works.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2018, 10:15 am

I would not give pyad a bravo for his latest contribution but it is a reasonable defence of his HYP1, the experimental tinkerless HYP. As long as we accept that that is what it is that's fine, but I do not think any HYPer would be happy with the outcome and so a non tinkering HYP is in the end unsatisfactory, at least judging by the results of HYP1 over a long period.

However I am not sure how anyone can over rate their non existent skills, but he means that they kid themselves that they have any skills.

So a tinkerer might sell (what he perceives to be a poor share) too soon or sell a share that goes on to be a great income performer, but by the same token, he might replace it with one that does the same so I suspect that more often than not, this aspect of tinkering will prove neutral but if it makes the tinkerer feel better why not? This argument as pyad says takes place every year and I do not think that there is a proveable answer one way or the other.

The other aspect of tinkering is of course to rebalance the portfolio. From the results of HYP1 that is a necessary part of the process and need not mean introducing any new shares, but simply top slicing and putting the proceeds into the poorer performers. In fact that would be a very interesting experiment, to do this once a year at the anniversary and compare the result with a completely non tinkering HYP.

Dod

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » November 19th, 2018, 10:31 am

I genuinely feel like I'm in some kind of twilight zone reading this.

As an experiment fine it's the result of a non tinkering HYP, no argument. It is generating a growing income.

But no tinkering has led to a risk profile that would not be appropriate for the majority of people employing such a strategy.

Also if you agree that the current distribution is not appropriate for a HYP started today, I don't understand how because it was set up 18 years ago that means it doesn't need to be top sliced accordingly. It makes no sense whatsoever to me.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 19th, 2018, 10:56 am

Walrus wrote:But no tinkering has led to a risk profile that would not be appropriate for the majority of people employing such a strategy.

...and if the fortunes of HYP1's holdings evolve such that it will look more "balanced" when pyad reports in 2036, I wonder if we'll still all be whinging about it then ... :?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 19th, 2018, 11:57 am

tjh290633 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:TJH -

I presume you are aware that IHG makes rather a habit of returning capital to shareholders and consolidating holdings, yet has still made sufficient growth to leave it overweight which makes that low dividend somewhat unrepresentative of the real return to shareholders in cash terms. I can see some possible merit in trimming but can't see, as a long term holder myself, why it would be a good idea to get rid of it completely and swap it for either of the two you suggest, especially a bookie. However, I bow to your superior expertise so no doubt you can put me straight.

Coincidentally, I hold all of HYP1 (though I haven't checked when I bought them) apart from Dixons, RSA and Pearson, and many more besides, which for me makes the weighting less of an issue.

Yes, I am aware of that, Lorna, and is one the reasons that prompted me to dispose of my holding. Successive returns of capital looked likely to reduce my holding to a lower value than I considered to be viable. My records are not to hand at the moment, but the low yield made it unsuitable for topping up.

Regarding the replacement, the obvious choice was Compass, but the yield is again too low. I could not see anything suitable in the hospitality sector, which is why I suggested a bookie.

I don't know what was done with the returns of capital from IHG, but I would not be surprised to find they were reinvested in IHG.

TJH

Thanks, Terry. Compass has also done well for me but as you say not a HYP buy now. I never reinvest capital returns accompanied by consolidation into the same company on the basis that they must be returning surplus cash because they don't know what to do with it.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 19th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Thanks, Terry. Compass has also done well for me but as you say not a HYP buy now. I never reinvest capital returns accompanied by consolidation into the same company on the basis that they must be returning surplus cash because they don't know what to do with it.

I've never held Compass, but was tempted to buy some years ago. Compass finals out tomorrow morning incidentally.

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 19th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:
Lootman wrote:He may be, but what's more important is what the original stated goal of this strategy was i.e. to provide an alternative to a safe annuity income stream for a hypothetical Doris. In that context her current portfolio is woefully risky, unbalanced and dangerous.

Pyad appears wed to his "no tinkering" rule and, as a result, is now running a "bet the farm" hedge fund portfolio and lauding what he once dismissed - capital growth.

HYP1's original stated goal is as stated in his two introductory articles

To sum up, I think HYP1 has done what it actually said on the tin. Unfortunately, many people try to judge it by what they misremember the tin as saying, or by the impression they've formed from what others have said about what it said on the tin...

I am sure you are correct, not least because you have evidently read those original documents and I have not! So I omitted requoting everything you wrote between your first and last paragraph for the simple reason that I have nothing to say about it, having never read those cited "original" articles. Like probably many others here, I don't go back to the original sources for my understanding of what a HYP is, but rather have allowed the collective comments of this community (and its forerunner on TMF) to inform what I understand by the term. And as I mentioned earlier, I am not aware of any other community that talks publicly about HYP and so, as far as I am concerned, a HYP is what we here collectively agree is one.

So when I talk about the basic purpose of a HYP it is not literally citing some chapter and verse from 18 or so years ago. ...

You didn't say "basic purpose" - you said "original stated goal".

A HYP's basic purpose is a matter of opinion, and yes, your opinion about that is as valid as anyone else's. (Though in practice, I think you'll find that a HYP here is what the board's guidance says it is and not a matter of "what we here collectively agree" - a good thing too IMHO, because the only conclusion I feel able to draw from the lengthy Biscuit Bar threads about it is that there is no such collective agreement!).

But the original stated goal of this strategy is a matter of fact about what the articles that introduced it actually say. No obligation of you to know what they do actually say, of course, but making factual statements about things you don't know carries the risk that they're incorrect and you're called on them - as has happened in this case.

Gengulphus

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 19th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Dod101 wrote:I would not give pyad a bravo for his latest contribution but it is a reasonable defence of his HYP1, the experimental tinkerless HYP. As long as we accept that that is what it is that's fine, but I do not think any HYPer would be happy with the outcome and so a non tinkering HYP is in the end unsatisfactory, at least judging by the results of HYP1 over a long period.

However I am not sure how anyone can over rate their non existent skills, but he means that they kid themselves that they have any skills.

So a tinkerer might sell (what he perceives to be a poor share) too soon or sell a share that goes on to be a great income performer, but by the same token, he might replace it with one that does the same so I suspect that more often than not, this aspect of tinkering will prove neutral but if it makes the tinkerer feel better why not? This argument as pyad says takes place every year and I do not think that there is a proveable answer one way or the other.

The other aspect of tinkering is of course to rebalance the portfolio. From the results of HYP1 that is a necessary part of the process and need not mean introducing any new shares, but simply top slicing and putting the proceeds into the poorer performers. In fact that would be a very interesting experiment, to do this once a year at the anniversary and compare the result with a completely non tinkering HYP.

Dod

As I see it, the problem with HYP1 related to the method by which money from corporate actions was reinvested. All those proceeds were put into a single share, which has led to extreme imbalance. Had the "equal value" principle been followed, there would probably now be about 20 holdings, and less imbalance.

As I recall, Gallaher tobacco was an original holdings and all the money from its takeover went into BATS. Another was Associated British Ports, but I can't recall where that went offhand.

Tinkering need not have come into it.

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 19th, 2018, 2:26 pm

IanTHughes wrote:To those of you who believe that HYP1 at 18 is dangerously unbalanced and that a proportion of the capital of the largest holdings should be redeployed, can you please explain where you would redeploy that capital?

To help you decide, the forecast yields of the top 4 holdings by value are:

Persimmon PLC (PSN) – 11.04%
British American Tobacco Group (BATS) – 7.21%
Rio Tinto PLC (RIO) – 5.79%
BT Group (BT-A) – 6.04%

I do appreciate that there are some other high yields on offer above 6.00% but such a re-balancing would surely reduce the forecast income of the Portfolio. An odd suggestion for what is first and foremost an Income Strategy.

Of course, many on here would suggest that they would never had allowed a portfolio under their control to get so un-balanced in the first place. In which case I have another couple of questions:

At what point historically would the above 4 holdings have been trimmed back and how much of the subsequent increase in income would have been lost by such tinkering? How sure could you be, when undertaking such trimming, that you would have located a new home for the redeployed capital that would have done as well or better, income-wise.

You're making a false assumption, namely that 'trimming back' would necessarily have been involved in not letting the portfolio get so unbalanced. The BT holding arises from re-investing the large takeover proceeds from Associated British Ports (then about 12% of the portfolio value) in a single holding in 2006, and the BATS holding from similarly reinvesting the large takeover proceeds from Gallaher (then about 10% of the portfolio value) in a single holding in 2007. Both of them could instead have had 1/15th = 6.7% of the portfolio value re-invested in a single replacement holding, with the rest of the takeover proceeds used for some carefully-chosen top-ups of existing holdings, or had the takeover proceeds split 50:50 between two replacement holdings, without deviating from HYP1's 'no tinkering' policy in the slightest.

As regards how good the new homes for the capital concerned would have been, doing either of those two would probably have been better than putting it all into BT for the Associated British Ports takeover, as the BT holding has not done very well on either capital (pretty much unchanged from "about £14,000" being reinvested) or income (historical dividend of 11.9p in 2006 becoming one of 15.4% this year is an acceptable but decidedly lacklustre 2.2% annualised growth rate) - basically, the BT holding's current position is due to the Associated British Ports holding having done very well rather than any sort of superior performance from BT.

For the Gallaher takeover, doing either of them would very likely have been worse than putting it all into BATS, as that has performed very well: on capital, the takeover proceeds of £13,560 have nearly doubled (despite recent falls), and on income, the historical dividend in 2007 of 15.7p+40.2p = 55.9p has become 56.5p+43.6p+48.8p = 148.9p this year, a very good annualised growth rate of 9.3%.

Anything more definite or exact than those "probably better" and "very likely worse" verdicts isn't IMHO possible without far too much risk of hindsight bias. My guess is that the overall effect would probably balance out as somewhat worse, but not by so much as to make it really clear.

Up until this year, the above would have resulted in HYP1's income and capital being considerably less unbalanced - though still unbalanced in a pretty major way. I'm only saying that it would have been possible to avoid HYP1 becoming so unbalanced without tinkering, not that it would have been possible to avoid it becoming quite considerably unbalanced without tinkering. I.e. HYP1's record gives an exaggerated impression of the imbalances caused by 'no tinkering' because its reinvestment policy also contributed in a fairly major way - but only an exaggerated impression, not a false impression.

This year, Persimmon's massive dividend rise and its consequential rise to top income producer means that what is now the biggest income imbalance is not similarly affected by an arguably-much-too-big takeover proceeds reinvestment. The holding does arise from reinvesting takeover proceeds, I think from the fairly closely-spaced takeovers of Resolution and Scottish & Newcastle in the spring of 2008, evenly split between Pearson and Persimmon, and I think the amount invested in the holding was in the rough region of £6k. But unfortunately, it happened during HYP1's 'dark year' from early 2008 to late spring 2009, when pyad wasn't writing either articles or posts for TMF, and so I've no exact details. But if I'm even approximately right, that was rather less than 1/15th of the portfolio value at the time and so no more undiversified than the original 15 purchases were.

However, the big question about Persimmon to my mind is to what extent to think of its dividend as an ordinary dividend that can reasonably be expected to continue into the future. What the company has said about that (at least as far as I'm aware) is essentially all contained in https://www.persimmonhomes.com/corporat ... eturn-plan, but that raises distinct doubts about it continuing by (a) being described as a "Capital Return Plan"; (b) anticipating no increase in 2019 or 2020; (c) anticipating a just-over-50% reduction in 2021; (d) having no stated dividend policy beyond 2021. For the owner of an income portfolio with an interest in it continuing to produce income for many years to come rather than just the next few, that's got to raise questions about whether to treat Persimmon's current dividend as a rather extended genuinely-special dividend, i.e. basically 'bonus' income, rather than as part of their regular income - or at least as being partially bonus income rather than regular (and if so, how big a part?).

And I at least pay considerably more attention to what companies say and don't say about their future dividend intentions than I do to outsiders' speculations about them. Doesn't mean those intentions are definitely what is going to happen (many dividend cuts over the years have made that clear!) and doesn't mean that the company won't change those intentions (as Persimmon have done a number of times over the last few years, though fortunately in a positive direction) but IMHO it's worth paying attention to. But unfortunately in Persimmon's case, their stated intentions seem to me to raise questions without really helping to answer them.

In short, HYP1's income situation seems to me to currently be making a lot of hay while the sun is shining on Persimmon, but whether / how long the company even intends to stay in the sun seems distinctly more questionable than is usually the case for a HYP holding. So it strikes me as considerably more likely that the Persimmon income imbalance will correct itself over the next few years than that the BATS, BT or Rio Tinto imbalances will do so.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 19th, 2018, 2:47 pm

IanTHughes wrote:Well obviously you are fully aware that the answer to that question is of course a resounding no. The reasons for which are, as I am sure you know, I would not invest more than 6.50% in any one holding nor more than 12.00% in any one Business Sector.

FYI, I didn't know that, and I probably won't know it if and when it again becomes relevant in the future, unless it's the very near future. You've now told me (and everyone else here, and probably have before) and might reasonably expect us to know it for the rest of this thread, but I don't think it reasonable to expect us to even keep track of who uses holding size limits and who doesn't on a more permanent basis - let alone just what the percentages are for those who do!

Gengulphus

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 19th, 2018, 3:47 pm

pyad wrote:
HYP1 was set up by me as tinkerfree with the unavoidable effect that it will be unbalanced from day one though the degree of imbalance will fluctuate over time as different shares jockey for position.

The idea behind a tinkerfree HYP is that once set up, you let market trading take over the management so that the only decisions required of the investor are when mandatory corporate action such as a bid, cash return, demerger and so on compels some action on reinvesting cash etc.

Why tinkerfree?

Because as I've said repeatedly, I believe Market Trading will beat tinkering for most, simply because investors in general make very poor trading decisions.

This debate arises every year but what is is about tinkerless that youse lot don't get?

You aint gonna change HYP1 into a tinkerful portfolio.

I don't think anyone is trying to change anything with regards to HYP1 at all - it's a great experiment, and long may it continue.

But that shouldn't stop people discussing it, who may want to shine a light onto it and highlight some of the issues that are likely to inherently exist in a long-term, hands-off approach, and I think the huge change in balance away from the originally stated 15-share aim of spreading risk justifies that approach -

Whatever the money available, even very large sums, no more than about 15 shares are necessary to take strip out the excessive risk of too few shares. Stick to FTSE 100 companies and spread the holdings around sectors.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140219210 ... 01106c.htm

If you'd then gone on to highlight the inevitable profile-drift away from that more balanced 15-share portfolio, and highlighted that it would be likely that over time a non-tinker approach would really quite dramatically change that risk-profile, and turn it into something similar to the one seen today, then there wouldn't be a light to shine on the issue - you'd have already done it yourself...

It's not a show-stopper to the strategy, and I fully understand your point with regards to market-trading, but it's still an issue that needs more prominence that you gave it originally, and seem to continue doing, so I hope you don't mind too much when we might wish to discuss the ongoing changes in that income and capital delivery-profile.

If it was inevitable, and you clearly feel that you can justify it happening, then can you point out where both of those points were clearly sign-posted to your target audience?

The initial risk-reduction of a 15-share HYP was clearly pointed out in the above quote, so to do that and not follow up with clear guidance as to the long-term variance away from that position, towards what HYP1 looks like now, seems to be the missing bit from the manual....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 19th, 2018, 4:00 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I don't know what was done with the returns of capital from IHG, but I would not be surprised to find they were reinvested in IHG.
Moderator Message:
Quote fixed. - Chris

There are lots of special cash returns, and some were reinvested in IHG while others weren't. Information I can give reasonably quickly and easily is:

* When Six Continents demerged Mitchells & Butlers and renamed itself Intercontinental Hotels in April 2003: the returned cash was reinvested 50:50 in IHG and MAB.

* December 2004, June 2005, June 2006, June 2007: I believe all reinvested in IHG, though I only have easily-available evidence of that for June 2005.

* October 2012: reinvested in an RSA top-up.

* July 2014: reinvested in a United Utilities top-up.

* May 2016: I think (but can't be certain without further checking) reinvested in a Lloyds top-up.

* May 2017: reinvested in a Lloyds top-up.

Whether those cash returns were returns of capital or bonus income is open to debate. For tax purposes, I think some of them were done by 'B share schemes' that gave the shareholder a choice between income and capital tax treatment, in the days when such schemes still worked - so there wasn't even an unambiguous answer! For HYP purposes, I think the best criterion is accompanied by a consolidation = return of capital, unaccompanied by a consolidation = bonus income, since if there's a consolidation, a held dividend results in a dividend income drop, and restoring the dividend income requires a top-up purchase (which usually costs about the amount of cash returned). By that criterion, if the information about share consolidations in https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... y?epic=IHG is complete and correct, all but the June 2005 payment were returns of capital.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 19th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Lootman wrote: when I talk about the basic purpose of a HYP it is not literally citing some chapter and verse from 18 or so years ago. ...

You didn't say "basic purpose" - you said "original stated goal".

You assume there that what Pyad wrote in those articles is the "original" basis of the strategy. It was certainly one early contributing element. But there are people here who were running dividend strategies before then, and talking about them on TMF. Bland was one and I was also running one back then, albeit rather different from what is now commonly regarded as HYP. I'm not sure when TJH joined but he often refers to running a HYP before TMF even existed. Maybe Luniversal too. And so on.

So what you are really doing is giving Bland 100% credit for the strategy and, thereby, giving him sole rights to claim what it originally was. You are effectively saying that HYP then was whatever Bland says it was. Now I was on TMF 20 years ago and don't have a super sharp recall of everything that was discussed, but the embryonic ideas behind HYP were discussed back then before it was fully formed, and I definitely was a part of those discussions. I recall that much because I had a good few arguments with Bland about it at the time, as did others. So I'd argue its sources are more diverse than just an article he wrote. Any such article reflected a number of debates and sources that were on TMF at the time, and does not imply agreement or consensus at that time.

Gengulphus wrote:A HYP's basic purpose is a matter of opinion, and yes, your opinion about that is as valid as anyone else's. (Though in practice, I think you'll find that a HYP here is what the board's guidance says it is and not a matter of "what we here collectively agree" - a good thing too IMHO, because the only conclusion I feel able to draw from the lengthy Biscuit Bar threads about it is that there is no such collective agreement!).

Personally I think the commonly accepted definition of HYP is much more important than the guidelines of this board, which were penned by some unknown soul without any discussion here that I recall. It looks like it was written on the back of an envelope, which is probably why there are a fair few fights about it. (Not that I think it should be an essay either).

Much more important, in my view, is what people say that they actually run as a HYP, and that is something we can assess without reading either an article by Bland or the guidelines of this board.

My best guess is that HYP is a family of related strategies that share some of a super-set of rules and guidelines but which, within that, can vary significantly. I could list those rules and guidelines, but do not want to drag out what is a tangent to the real topic here. And that topic is what happens to a HYP (or for that matter any portfolio - it is hardly unique to HYP) if you deliberately make no unforced changes. What pyad shows is that it becomes very skewed. The only thing wrong with his post is that he draws completely the wrong conclusion from it. He sees that skew as a good thing, and claims a vindication of his personal view of how a HYP should work. Whereas the consensus here is that it is not, at least in terms of any reasonable view of what HYP is, whether "original" or not.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 19th, 2018, 4:39 pm

postby Gengulphus » November 19th, 2018, 4:00 pm
"tjh290633 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
I don't know what was done with the returns of capital from IHG, but I would not be surprised to find they were reinvested in IHG."

It was actually TJH who said that fwiw.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 19th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Lootman wrote:You assume there that what Pyad wrote in those articles is the "original" basis of the strategy. It was certainly one early contributing element. But there are people here who were running dividend strategies before then, and talking about them on TMF. Bland was one and I was also running one back then, albeit rather different from what is now commonly regarded as HYP. I'm not sure when TJH joined but he often refers to running a HYP before TMF even existed. Maybe Luniversal too. And so on.

I joined TMF some time in 1999, I think. Then I found the HYP aricles and board and realised that it was very similar to the course that I had been pursuing since PEPs began in 1987.

Gengulphus wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I don't know what was done with the returns of capital from IHG, but I would not be surprised to find they were reinvested in IHG.

There are lots of special cash returns, and some were reinvested in IHG while others weren't. Information I can give reasonably quickly and easily is:

* When Six Continents demerged Mitchells & Butlers and renamed itself Intercontinental Hotels in April 2003: the returned cash was reinvested 50:50 in IHG and MAB.

* December 2004, June 2005, June 2006, June 2007: I believe all reinvested in IHG, though I only have easily-available evidence of that for June 2005.

* October 2012: reinvested in an RSA top-up.

* July 2014: reinvested in a United Utilities top-up.

* May 2016: I think (but can't be certain without further checking) reinvested in a Lloyds top-up.

* May 2017: reinvested in a Lloyds top-up.

Whether those cash returns were returns of capital or bonus income is open to debate. For tax purposes, I think some of them were done by 'B share schemes'

Gengulphus

I have data for the 2004 payment which was described as a "Special Dividend", viz: • Special dividend of £500m, with associated share consolidation, to be paid in December 2004 in an RNS of 9 Sep 2004, https://www.investegate.co.uk/interco-- ... 00237677C/

The 2005 payment is decribed as a "Capital Reorganisation" in https://www.investegate.co.uk/interco-- ... 02375658J/ -- Further £1bn return of funds announced today. Details of a capital restructuring and the proposed method of returning funds will be contained in a circular to be sent to shareholders in due course. I have found that document, via https://www.ihgplc.com/investors/shareh ... ?year=2005, and reference to Page 25/64 indicates that the return is considered to be a partial disposal of shares for CGT purposes.

If anyone wishes to do further research on the company website, further clarification will be no doubt possible.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”