Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

United Utilities - I'm hovering over the sell button

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
OLTB
Lemon Quarter

United Utilities - I'm hovering over the sell button

Postby OLTB » December 10th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Afternoon all.

I have a mild flutter in my chest about United Utilities (UU.) and whether I should maintain it in my HYP. With Brexit going so well and an apparent 'hold' on the meaningful vote to be announced later today, I'm worried about Mr McDonnell getting his mitts on the utilities.

If I sold (at a capital loss) and reinvested in ITV and WPP (my chosen recipients), my overall income would increase slightly (about £90 p.a.). The risk about UU. going down the tubes would be gone.

However...I have no idea if ITV or WPP will continue to pay dividends at the current rate (WPP being perhaps a higher risk) and I would have been foolish. Also, I have no idea of the current Labour Party would be elected - the current Labour high ranks may be ousted for a more centrist shadow cabinet and the risk may be over, which would mean a continuing dividend stream from UU. Also, would I be foolish to think that the grand Pooh-Bahs of UU. hadn't already considered this potential risk (with many of them I assume having high financial stakes in the business) and an emergency action plan is waiting in the wings if needed.

I don't wish to tinker at the moment as financially I don't need to, so I welcome any wise words to ponder over.

Cheers, OLTB.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: United Utilities - I'm hovering over the sell button

Postby kempiejon » December 10th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Well I'm rarely inclined to sell so will hold mine. UU. was my first ute though these day I prefer Pennon. ITV and WPP might both be at risk of declining TV/advertising revenues, WPP have had recent problems at the top too. There's fires and frying pans but if selling your utilities and switching to advertising helps you sleep that has value.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 10th, 2018, 2:34 pm

OLTB wrote:I'm worried about Mr McDonnell getting his mitts on the utilities.

You can approach this decision, and mitigate this risk, in different ways.

1. If it comes to it, don't vote Labour (but do vote).
2. Dilute your holdings by simply not topping up any Utilities and putting new money elsewhere, until McDonnell has gone (*)
3. Do a "what if" analysis on your overall income assuming different levels of a UU. dividend cut, eg. 50% to start with. Are you still on track?
4. Do an XIRR analysis on your UU. holding (purchase, dividends, value today). If you are ahead of inflation ~3% and feeling that nervous, then sell if it will help you sleep.

(*) If it does come to nationalisation of Utilities, I think we will all have much bigger things to worry about anyway than flaneuring around here with our HYPs.

FWIW, I'm holding and not topping up. I can't see any new money going into Utilities until 2020 at least tbh.

(Holds SSE, CNA, UU. which account for 14% capital, 17% income overall currently. :shock: )

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » December 10th, 2018, 2:37 pm

For WPP, it may be worth waiting until tomorrow.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/wpp-plc--wpp-/rns/strategy-update-for-investors-and-analysts/201811140920103222H/

I did hold a small holding UU, but as part of my Brexit/Corbyn preparations, I used the sale monies to purchase a Far East income IT. I still do hold Pennon.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 10th, 2018, 3:48 pm

OLTB wrote:Afternoon all.

I don't wish to tinker at the moment as financially I don't need to, so I welcome any wise words to ponder over.

Cheers, OLTB.

I hold United Utilities, and am fairly relaxed about it. I think you should follow your own advice mentioned above, and not tinker when there's no urgent need to do so.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 10th, 2018, 4:11 pm

By the way OLTB, let us know what you decide please.

Ian.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 10th, 2018, 5:04 pm

I dumped all my utilities, Royal Mail and transport shares about 6 months ago. Just because of worries about Comrade Corbyn getting into Number 10.
I sleep better at night.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 10th, 2018, 5:11 pm

absolutezero wrote:I dumped all my utilities, Royal Mail and transport shares about 6 months ago. Just because of worries about Comrade Corbyn getting into Number 10.
I sleep better at night.

Where'd you redeploy the cash may I ask?

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 10th, 2018, 5:45 pm

i dont like the debt , regulation and the political risks.

8-)

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 10th, 2018, 6:14 pm

idpickering wrote:
absolutezero wrote:I dumped all my utilities, Royal Mail and transport shares about 6 months ago. Just because of worries about Comrade Corbyn getting into Number 10.
I sleep better at night.

Ian.

I seem to remember new holdings in Manx Telecom, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, easyJet, ITV and Taylor Wimpey.
Couple of top ups into Vodafone and Unilever.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 11th, 2018, 6:10 am

absolutezero wrote:
idpickering wrote:
I sleep better at night.

Ian.

I seem to remember new holdings in Manx Telecom, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, easyJet, ITV and Taylor Wimpey.

Thank you for coming back on this. I hold all of the above, save for easyjet and Manx Telecom (who I've never heard of tbh). As for the untilities I hold, NG., SSE, and UU., I'm going to continue to hold, but am unlikely to top up any of them currently, due to the cloud of uncertainty surrounding them, in relation to a potential Labour government.

Ian.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 11th, 2018, 10:47 am

idpickering wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

Thank you for coming back on this. I hold all of the above, save for easyjet and Manx Telecom (who I've never heard of tbh). As for the untilities I hold, NG., SSE, and UU., I'm going to continue to hold, but am unlikely to top up any of them currently, due to the cloud of uncertainty surrounding them, in relation to a potential Labour government.

Ian.

Manx Telecom is an interesting one. It's not a large cap but yields very nicely. 7+% as I write.

It's the equivalent of 1970s BT on the Isle of Man (but without the state inefficiency) in as much as it has the monopoly for landlines, mobile and broadband.
Fairly secure from nationalisation because it's Manx and not properly British because of the legal status of the Isle of Man.
It's not worth the likes of Vodafone etc getting involved on the IoM because of the high set up costs and the very small population so I can't see it's monopoly status changing. Could be wrong.

Interestingly I note Charles Stanley's nominee service (Rock Nominees Ltd) have breached the 5% share ownership barrier.
Maybe HYPers are becoming interested in Manx Telecom.

Worth a look.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 11th, 2018, 10:50 am

absolutezero wrote:
idpickering wrote:
absolutezero wrote:I seem to remember new holdings in Manx Telecom, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, easyJet, ITV and Taylor Wimpey.

Ian.

Manx Telecom is an interesting one. It's not a large cap but yields very nicely. 7+% as I write.

It's the equivalent of 1970s BT on the Isle of Man (but without the state inefficiency) in as much as it has the monopoly for landlines, mobile and broadband.
Fairly secure from nationalisation because it's Manx and not properly British because of the legal status of the Isle of Man.
It's not worth the likes of Vodafone etc getting involved on the IoM because of the high set up costs and the very small population so I can't see it's monopoly status changing. Could be wrong.
Worth a look.

Thank you very much for coming back on this, and sharing your thoughts about Manx Telecom. One for the future maybe?

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 12th, 2018, 8:12 pm

absolutezero wrote:Manx Telecom is an interesting one. It's not a large cap but yields very nicely. 7+% as I write.

Not kidding there, market cap c.£180m :shock:

Terry

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 13th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Wizard wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Manx Telecom is an interesting one. It's not a large cap but yields very nicely. 7+% as I write.

Not kidding there, market cap c.£180m :shock:

Terry

Hence not worth VOD or similar moving in.
They'd take until we leave the EU to recoup their set up costs....

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”