Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

British American Tobacco - Second Half Pre-Close Trading Update 2018

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: British American Tobacco - Second Half Pre-Close Trading Update 2018

Postby idpickering » January 11th, 2019, 4:15 pm

pyad wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:... I can never understand your obsession with income when you are not yet drawing any and yields on all the shares you own now (and the ones you have spurned) will probably be totally different by the time you do. However, maybe that's me looking at things from the wrong perspective.

HYPs are all about income and the same approach to selecting shares applies whether the investor has yet to draw that income and is reinvesting dividends or is at the stage of enjoying the income.

What's not to understand?

You seem not to agree with that, which is fine, each to their own, but if so you are on the wrong board I'd say.

Thank you very much for your input Stephen, and for switching me onto HYPing all those years ago. As I have mentioned to you before, it (HYP) has done very well for my family and I. I'm sat in a wonderful house in Orkney because of it!

Back to the subject of this thread, BATS, as I mentioned earlier it is likely I'll buy some more of them pretty soon.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 11th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I apologise. I should not have made that comment. And yes, I should stop looking at this board as, not being very bright, I don't really understand that philosophy during the building period. As you say, each to their own.

You've no need to be quite so self-effacing there. At the heart of your comment was why is someone who isn't drawing dividends interested in deciding when to buy a share on the basis of when a dividend is due. It seems a fair enough question to me if you consider the context, and it certainly does not mean the board should not address the point.

There have been quite a few contributions over the years about timing in this respect. I used to be quite adamant that I would buy before the XD - indeed I still prefer to if I can - but many people point out that those who are using HYP to build there pots might actually perform better by buying immediately after XD because that can have the effect to building additional income in the future and in some circumstances save tax.

I'm not arguing whether that's correct or incorrect (personally, I think it's too close to call and it doesn;t bother me) but I think it is a legitimate subject for the board. Neither do I believe it would be right if you, Bouleversee, were chased away due to raising this (since many have done so before you) - even though you might now have found a different way of phrasing it ;)

Arb.

But surely the post Pyad replied to was not about timing in relation to XD dates, it seemed to be a more general comment about seeking income based on current yields. The reference to 21st January was about the date Ian plans to buy the IMB shares. I am getting very confused :?

Terry.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 11th, 2019, 9:35 pm

idpickering wrote:
pyad wrote:
HYPs are all about income and the same approach to selecting shares applies whether the investor has yet to draw that income and is reinvesting dividends or is at the stage of enjoying the income.

Thank you very much for your input Stephen, and for switching me onto HYPing all those years ago. As I have mentioned to you before, it (HYP) has done very well for my family and I. I'm sat in a wonderful house in Orkney because of it!

Ian.

============================

your own success with HYP may be just luck - others may have not have been so lucky .

HYP was intended to be better than an insurance product , which it most of the time would be , but so also would be almost any basket of shares or IT's , other things being equal.

HYP has no guarantee of a wonderful outcome.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 11th, 2019, 10:58 pm

pyad wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:... I can never understand your obsession with income when you are not yet drawing any and yields on all the shares you own now (and the ones you have spurned) will probably be totally different by the time you do. However, maybe that's me looking at things from the wrong perspective.

What's not to understand?

Did you mean to be so rude?

Bouleverse said she didn't understand, you explained, there's no need to add a sarky comment

Mel

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2019, 5:56 am

jackdaww wrote:
idpickering wrote:
pyad wrote:

Ian.

============================

your own success with HYP may be just luck - others may have not have been so lucky .

HYP was intended to be better than an insurance product , which it most of the time would be , but so also would be almost any basket of shares or IT's , other things being equal.

Maybe so. I’ve had my mishaps and successes along the way, but I think you’re being unnecessarily down about HYP. If that’s how you feel,why come here at all?

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 12th, 2019, 7:35 am

jackdaww wrote:============================

This isn't the place to discuss whether HYP is a good idea or not. It is for those who, having decided that they would like to try HYP, need to discuss the practical aspects of running one.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 12th, 2019, 7:43 am

Wizard wrote:But surely the post Pyad replied to was not about timing in relation to XD dates, it seemed to be a more general comment about seeking income based on current yields. The reference to 21st January was about the date Ian plans to buy the IMB shares. I am getting very confused :?

Terry.

Pyad was quoting Bouleversee's post which was concerning Ian's timing issue (i.e. why would he buy xd when he didn't want to "d") - that was my view, but if your interpretation was different then we just beg to differ. The post I replied to others also considered unecessarily rude and if your interpretation was correct, picked up Bouleversee on a point her post wasn't even making.

However, now we are in the realm of a meta-discussion which is probably not allowed (or at least, wasn't on TMF) so I do not intend to engage further.

Arb.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 12th, 2019, 7:49 am

Moderator Message:
This is has now morphed away from topic. I am locking this thread. Raptor

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”