Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Christmas Review

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
minerjoe
2 Lemon pips

Christmas Review

Postby minerjoe » December 13th, 2016, 10:45 am

Hi All,

As we are not at Christmas I would like to put out quick post of my holdings and get some views on what I might be missing. Over the last few years I've built my ISA HYP to a value now of around 70k (which is on track with my plans YoY for growth). I've picked up quite a few of the higher yielders already, Shell etc and I've had a few dogs - AMEC, COB - I'm looking at you! I've also had a few buy and sells or buy outs which have pocked me a quick and decent return - Amlin and Royal Mail come to mind.

I was thinking of picking up in the next 12 months a few lower yielding, but growth shares; maybe Mircofocus and also some utilities maybe NG.

Thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: Christmas Review

Postby idpickering » December 13th, 2016, 1:10 pm

minerjoe wrote:Hi All,

As we are not at Christmas I would like to put out quick post of my holdings and get some views on what I might be missing. Over the last few years I've built my ISA HYP to a value now of around 70k (which is on track with my plans YoY for growth). I've picked up quite a few of the higher yielders already, Shell etc and I've had a few dogs - AMEC, COB - I'm looking at you! I've also had a few buy and sells or buy outs which have pocked me a quick and decent return - Amlin and Royal Mail come to mind.

I was thinking of picking up in the next 12 months a few lower yielding, but growth shares; maybe Mircofocus and also some utilities maybe NG.

Thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

Very nice looking HYP minerjoe,

There are some missing that I hold that you might consider. BAE Systems, BT Group, British American Tobacco, British Land, Carillion, Centrica, Diageo, GlaxoSmithKline, Provident Finance, Rio Tinto, Taylor Wimpey, and Unilever. What's your average yield btw?

HTH,

Ian.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » December 13th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Hi Ian,

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Diageo as a HYP share? Isn't the dividend yield a bit low?

PR

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 13th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Phileasrob wrote:Hi Ian,

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Diageo as a HYP share? Isn't the dividend yield a bit low?

PR

Hi Pjileasrob, I agree that it is on the low side, but I'm in favour of buying shares that provide diversification for my HYP. Furthermore, it's the HYP overall yield coupled with the usual safety features that I'm after.

Regards,

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 13th, 2016, 1:41 pm

idpickering wrote:
Phileasrob wrote:Hi Ian,

PR

Hi Pjileasrob, I agree that it is on the low side, but I'm in favour of buying shares that provide diversification for my HYP. Furthermore, it's the HYP overall yield coupled with the usual safety features that I'm after.

Regards,

Ian.

Sorry, further this DGE are my smallest bet currently, at 2.2% 0f the overall HYP. I get that others look at MARS and GNK in similar sectors, but I prefer the big fish. I might get to GNK one day maybe though.

Ian.

Phileasrob
Lemon Pip

Postby Phileasrob » December 13th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Thanks Ian,

I purchased GNK over DGE last month so only time will tell. DGE are a good company but it's a shame about the yield!

PR

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 13th, 2016, 2:21 pm

minerjoe wrote:.

Thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

I am assuming you do not mean the above as this is the HYP practical board, the aim of which is high yielding income shares? IMO MCRO at 2.7% is not even close to a HYP share, but to be honest do not see anything in that sector that comes close.

National Grid seems a fair choice to me but I do not hold any of these. PNN seems to be popular on the boards though.

Raptor.

minerjoe
2 Lemon pips

Postby minerjoe » December 14th, 2016, 10:47 am

my thinking on Microfocus is that it has a lower base (I already have a lot of higher base shares), but its cover and dividend growth rate are much like WG - it never hurts to have a few lower high growth yields and a few high yields with lower growth to balance things out.

I am aiming to get a blended average of around 4.5% to 5%

Cheers,

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”