Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Provident Finance Group Trading Update

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Provident Finance Group Trading Update

Postby idpickering » January 15th, 2019, 11:33 am

I guess I could've put this up earlier for any diehard LTBH HYPers who might've still had PFG on board. I sold out of these years ago;

The group has made further good progress during the final quarter against its operational objectives for 2018:

· The Consumer Credit Division (CCD) achieved full authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) on 9 November 2018. Management continue to progress discussions with the FCA regarding the implementation of enhanced performance management of our Customer Experience Managers (CEMs), including some element of variable related pay, which is important in returning the business to run-rate profitability in due course;

· Vanquis Bank has made significant progress in delivering the Repayment Option Plan (ROP) refund programme, with over 1 million customers now refunded, and adapting to the measures in the Credit Card Market Study (CCMS). The refund programme is on-track to be substantially completed in early 2019;

· Moneybarn continues to assist the FCA in its investigation into affordability, forbearance and termination options and is working towards concluding the matter in the first half of 2019;

· Further strengthening of the Board and governance framework; and

· The group's funding and capital positions remain strong.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/provident ... 00040701N/

Not been received well it seems, with the stock down 18% as I type.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Provident Finance Group Trading Update

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2019, 11:48 am

Profits expected to be at the lower end of market expectations. Expect to pay a nominal dividend. No wonder the shares are down. Its best days seem to be behind it.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 15th, 2019, 11:58 am

Dod101 wrote:Profits expected to be at the lower end of market expectations. Expect to pay a nominal dividend. No wonder the shares are down. Its best days seem to be behind it.

Dod

For clarification, on checking, I see I sold my PFG holdings on 27 Jul 2017, so not quite as many "years ago" as I thought. To be honest, I don't remember exactly why I sold out, but recall losing faith in them. As Dod says above, their best days are behind them maybe? I held them for a few years and always enjoyed the high yield, and diversification they offered.

Ian.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 15th, 2019, 12:20 pm

idpickering wrote:For clarification, on checking, I see I sold my PFG holdings on 27 Jul 2017, so not quite as many "years ago" as I thought. To be honest, I don't remember exactly why I sold out, but recall losing faith in them. ...

Search is quite fun and easy to use on TLF. Here's where you reported the PFG disposal viewtopic.php?p=69509#p69509
when you wanted to bring ULVR back on board.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 15th, 2019, 12:26 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
idpickering wrote:For clarification, on checking, I see I sold my PFG holdings on 27 Jul 2017, so not quite as many "years ago" as I thought. To be honest, I don't remember exactly why I sold out, but recall losing faith in them. ...

Search is quite fun and easy to use on TLF. Here's where you reported the PFG disposal viewtopic.php?p=69509#p69509

Impeccable timing - 27 July 2017 (2090p)...Aug 22 2017 (599p).....and the interim dividend was also cancelled ( after being announced).

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » January 15th, 2019, 1:02 pm

I still hold having first purchased in 2006 and subsequently repurchasing in ISAs.
XIRR is down to 9.7% with today's fall in price and peaked at around 18% before the troubles started.

Holding value is now under £5k at today's price but it has provided over £5k of dividends over the years.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 15th, 2019, 4:29 pm

This from TMF;

Is it game over for Neil Woodford flop Provident Financial after today’s 20% drop?

Ace stock-picker Neil Woodford seems to have lost his magic touch, making a string of bad calls over the last couple of years. Bad credit lender Provident Financial (LSE: PFG) is perhaps the most notorious of all.

Improvident

Provident has lost 80% of its value over the past three years and is down 20% today after issuing a profit warning. It said full-year figures would be at the lower end of market expectations, as customers struggle to service their debt obligations.

Group adjusted profits before tax for 2018 are set to be “towards the lower end of the range of market expectations of £151m to £166m,” with impairments “modestly higher than expected.” This reflects a continued increase in the use of payment arrangements at its Vanquis Bank credit cards arm. Today’s drop wiped out the share price progress seen in the last three months.

Subprime stock

CEO Malcolm Le May did his best to reassure by reporting progress on operational objectives, as well as tightening underwriting standards “in anticipation of the current uncertain UK economic environment we are facing.”

He said Provident has “strong funding and capital positions” and management actions over the last 18 months have established a solid foundation for continuing to deliver on its strategic aim of being the leading provider of credit products to 10m-12m consumers “who are not well served by mainstream lenders.”

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... s-20-drop/

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 15th, 2019, 10:26 pm

PinkDalek wrote:

How many times have you been in and out of Unilever in the last three years Ian? ;) If I recall correctly you sold out last year on the potential move out of the UK, but then rebought when that plan was shelved.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 16th, 2019, 4:59 am

Wizard wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

How many times have you been in and out of Unilever in the last three years Ian? ;) If I recall correctly you sold out last year on the potential move out of the UK, but then rebought when that plan was shelved.

Just the once Terry, and quickly regretted bailing out. Hence my hasty return.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 16th, 2019, 8:12 am

idpickering wrote:
Wizard wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Ian.

Really?!? A quick search shows:

12th July 2017 - sell
idpickering wrote:...I have just taken the decision to swap out of my Unilever holdings and bought Direct Line Group with the cash released...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5724&p=66724&hilit=Unilever#p66724

25th July 2017 - buy
idpickering wrote:...I sold out of PFG and bought back into Unilever again...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5867&p=69509&hilit=Unilever#p69509

21st September 2018 - sell
idpickering wrote:...I mentioned further up this thread that I was toying with swapping Unilever with Tate & Lyle, well this I did two hours ago...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13636&hilit=Unilever&start=100

30th October 2018 - buy
pickering wrote:Although I must admit that I brought Unilever back into my HYP the other day! Again!!...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14476&p=177112&hilit=Unilever#p177112

So twice in the last 18 months, and TLF does not go back much further. My interest was sparked by the fact that in July 2017 you said you were buying back in "again", which suggested it had happened before. Hence my question as I wondered when it had happened before the 2017 event.

Terry.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 16th, 2019, 8:24 am

Ok. I’m not going to argue about this. My mistake.

Ian

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 16th, 2019, 8:25 am

Wizard wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Wizard wrote:How many times have you been in and out of Unilever in the last three years Ian? ;) If I recall correctly you sold out last year on the potential move out of the UK, but then rebought when that plan was shelved.

Ian.

Really?!? A quick search shows:

12th July 2017 - sell
idpickering wrote:...I have just taken the decision to swap out of my Unilever holdings and bought Direct Line Group with the cash released...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5724&p=66724&hilit=Unilever#p66724

25th July 2017 - buy
idpickering wrote:...I sold out of PFG and bought back into Unilever again...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5867&p=69509&hilit=Unilever#p69509

21st September 2018 - sell
idpickering wrote:...I mentioned further up this thread that I was toying with swapping Unilever with Tate & Lyle, well this I did two hours ago...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13636&hilit=Unilever&start=100

30th October 2018 - buy
pickering wrote:Although I must admit that I brought Unilever back into my HYP the other day! Again!!...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14476&p=177112&hilit=Unilever#p177112

So twice in the last 18 months, and TLF does not go back much further. My interest was sparked by the fact that in July 2017 you said you were buying back in "again", which suggested it had happened before. Hence my question as I wondered when it had happened before the 2017 event.

Terry.

Terry,

You have to remember than Ian has already said that he does not "follow" all the HYP principles, from the Unilever thread on Strategy.

viewtopic.php?p=153455#p153455

Raptor.

IanSmithISA
Lemon Pip

Postby IanSmithISA » January 16th, 2019, 8:31 am

Good morning,

Dod101 wrote:Profits expected to be at the lower end of market expectations. Expect to pay a nominal dividend. No wonder the shares are down. Its best days seem to be behind it.

Dod

I don't agree, so much so that I have just bought £12k worth, I am not a long term holder but if I were I would have it in such a portfolio.

Here's the reason and it is a long post :D

The reason is that a few years the company recognised that its business model would not survive into a more heavily regulated future and took steps to ensure its long term prospects but made two massive mistakes one of which almost destroyed the company and required a massive rights issue.

For those who haven't been following PFG too much;

It used to be just a doorstep lender and had been around for 100 years or so, what this means is that they had a few thousand self employed agents who would go to people's houses and make smallish cash loans and then go back week after week to collect the repayments.

The problem with model is that there were real and perceived issues with the agents offering bigger and bigger loans trapping the client into debt forever.

To address this PFG both broadened it services, they now also offer a credit card (Vanquish), longer term loans online (Satsuma) and car specific loans (Moneybarn)

Starting with the smallest issues.

By and large Moneybarn and Satsuma have been okayish, when dealing with people who can't afford to repay their loans there is always some element of blame attached to the lender and Moneybarn has had such problems but they are not business threatening.

PFG had a good idea for the Vanquish credit card,the Repayment Option Plan, for a smallish percentage of the outstanding balance every month the cardholder would be allowed to skip a payment or two and if they were late in making a payment this would not be reported to the credit reference agencies.

This was supposed to be sold to people looking to rebuild their credit ratings, but apparently it was massively oversold, just like PPI. Unlike PPI everyone who had it could use it and everybody knew about it as it appeared every month on the statement.

This went badly wrong and large repayments to customers had to be made as many customer say that they didn't want it but believed that if they didn't take it they wouldn't get the card. As the cost was added to the card it would incur interest if the balance was not repaid in full and next month there would be interest on the interest and cost of the service would rise to cover increased balance.

It is slightly worrying that nobody at PFG saw this and thought, this is going to come back and bite us.

What did not happen was any massive fines being issued, it was agreed that repayments would be made and the sales process improved but it was accepted that everybody who had it, knew that they had it and hadn't complained.

The big mistake that almost killed the company is that to be seen to be operating with Best Practice PFG decided to replace the self employed agents with employees with managers arranging their day's activities. From a Best Practice perspective this was the right thing to do and has set the company up for the future.

What happened is that the self employed agents didn't want to become non commissioned employees, new loans dropped and payment collection weren't getting done. As PFG are not the only provider in the market some agents went to the competitors taking the clients with them, those clients that stayed may not have been visited by an employed person to collect the repayments because there weren't enough collectors.

Sure the debts were still due just not being collected.

Indeed getting collectors is still a problem and a more ethical commission policy is being developed, and this may attract some ex agents back.

There are however some differences between a self employed agent and an employed one.

The self employed agent would make payment collections at whatever time was required if he had a book that meant collecting at 6am from people finishing a shift and the rest at 4pm before the start of another shift, they he would do that and goof off in between. The employed collector went when he was told to.

The self employed agent might have made loans that the employed collector would not as they were "bad" loans as the customer didn't absolutely need them or they were too large. This is the big issue with Best Practice how do you avoid ripping off people who have limited credit options?

Because of the nature of the self employed agents job, the self employed agent would be a "people person" and the borrower would often perceive the agent as a friend doing them a favour, whereas the employed collector would be "working for a bank"

What is important to me is that tost of PFGs competitor have not moved to employed collectors and Best Practice and may have this problem to come as regulation gets tighter.

Surprising we have seen from Wonga just how difficult it is making money from the sub prime market and PFG have a massive customer base of people whose payment histories they know.

Given the nature of this customer base the big credit reference agencies are of limited benefit, they may tell you that the individual is a significant risk, but you knew that anyway as they are coming to you!

So I believe that with PFG you can identify the reason for the big issue and it was mostly a one off.

Bye

Ian

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » January 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Thank you Ian for that insight into the company.

The issue as always for me is how to long to wait for signs of a recovery. If I traded out of every company that takes a nosedive I'd quickly deplete my capital and who knows what I'd buy into, yet I'm 71 next birthday so don't have all the time in the world.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 17th, 2019, 11:04 am

pendas wrote:The issue as always for me is how to long to wait for signs of a recovery. If I traded out of every company that takes a nosedive I'd quickly deplete my capital and who knows what I'd buy into, yet I'm 71 next birthday so don't have all the time in the world.

IanSmithISA has replied over at "Share Ideas":

Continuation - Provident Finance Group Trading Update
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15740

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”