Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Dividend Letter discontinued

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Dividend Letter discontinued

Postby IanTHughes » February 5th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Lootman wrote: there would be further improvements based on its adoption by experienced and knowledgeable investors here?

I must have missed that particular post

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 5th, 2019, 8:03 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:Good grief, talk about a stuck record! So PYAD made some dosh by formalising and marketing a simple method of dividend investing. Maybe it wasn't a particularly groundbreaking new idea. So what? He saw an opportunity and took it - good luck to him. In the process, he has introduced the idea to many people who have either followed his method or adapted it however they see fit - and all of us here are quite capable of deciding how much credit to give him (or not) with regard to our own investments. I can see how some people may feel a little resentful, but this relentless and repetitive criticism has become more than a little tiresome...

I never said he didn't deserve credit. In fact I specifically said that he did, along with some others here. No resentment at all.

My point was more about how the method evolves and to warn against thinking that this or any other investment methodology is somehow fixed. And as you suggest, it can be adapted which again implies there is not one single right way to perform it.

I really think you are being over-sensitive here, but then that isn't unheard of on this board so maybe I should not pick on you..

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » February 5th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Just posting to say as an ex-HYPer and ex- TDL subscriber, I think the topic may have lost some focus once Luniversal’s vast volume of research and reporting ceased.

Luniversal
2 Lemon pips

Postby Luniversal » February 6th, 2019, 12:06 am

mickeypops wrote:Just posting to say as an ex-HYPer and ex- TDL subscriber, I think the topic may have lost some focus once Luniversal’s vast volume of research and reporting ceased.

See a ramble about 'HYP as I have known it' on the General board.

In response to comments a propos Vodafone about yield zones a few days ago, a leetle more follow-up on that theory may follow-- unless coma supervenes or Doris frowns.

A very belated Happy New Year and good hunting to all citrus citizens.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 6th, 2019, 1:05 am

Lootman wrote:
pyad wrote:What I'm saying is that the sort of HYP that a newcomer might see described here is the image projected by a small minority because they are the vociferous ones.

The flaw at the heart of that statement is evident. Since HYP has no material public life outside of TLF (and before that, TMF) it is highly unlikely that there would be any "newcomer" to HYP who discovered it via any other route. So like it or not, this is is main public forum for discussing and growing the strategy. So what we say here defines it more than any other consensual body or forum, and certainly more than any one individual.

This is not the first time that you have suggested that there is a vast universe "out there" of silent HYP adherents. Obviously they cannot be known if they do not speak, and this is the place for them to speak. So you are safe in claiming that this vast constituency exists and are all loyal to some other version of HYP, because by definition that cannot ever be either verified nor disproved.

You may not like it very much, but this location is now the mantle and vanguard of HYP thinking, taking it forward, improving and progressing it. You had a useful and possibly pivotal role at one point, but now you seem to take it personally every time someone else has a good idea about it. I don't think that ego should get in the way of discovery, nor should rigidity transplant the flexibility to learn and improve.

HYP is not a fixed proprietary product. It is an approach that continually evolves, else it dies.
Harsh. pyad has his core philosophy, which he is free to advocate. He is also free to point out that this forum is misleading in the sense that all the irrelevant drivel that is often posted is somewhat in conflict with his original keep-it-simple ideas.

Where I agree with you is that this board is being allowed to evolve. Personally I find this irritating and will cease "using" the board for my minimal HYP maintenance and just help moderate it in a more disinterested way.

Regards,
Chris

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 6th, 2019, 5:43 am

csearle wrote:

Where I agree with you is that this board is being allowed to evolve. Personally I find this irritating and will cease "using" the board for my minimal HYP maintenance and just help moderate it in a more disinterested way.

Regards,
Chris

I do hope you continue using this board, and contribute to it. Your offerings are insightful, and invaluable.

Ian.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 6th, 2019, 6:32 am

As the OP and a new HYP investor, I am quite surprised (understatement) at the amount of discord apparent in many responses. It is sometimes like watching two bald men fight over possesion of a comb.

I heard of HYP on this forum, and feel that whilst HYP, as any other "system" should evolve to suit the owners needs and psychology, ie the inclusion of IT's or smaller cap stocks, due recognition is owed to pyad for his philosophy and clear, concise methodology. There is room for both "churches" in this investment universe and niether one nor the others should be critisised IMHO.

And again, genuine thanks to all respondents for opinions as we learn most when we compare differing aspects of the situation.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 6th, 2019, 6:55 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:As the OP and a new HYP investor, I am quite surprised (understatement) at the amount of discord apparent in many responses. It is sometimes like watching two bald men fight over possesion of a comb.

I heard of HYP on this forum, and feel that whilst HYP, as any other "system" should evolve to suit the owners needs and psychology, ie the inclusion of IT's or smaller cap stocks, due recognition is owed to pyad for his philosophy and clear, concise methodology. There is room for both "churches" in this investment universe and niether one nor the others should be critisised IMHO.

And again, genuine thanks to all respondents for opinions as we learn most when we compare differing aspects of the situation.

Well said. It’s sad that all to often posters attack each other. Back on topic though, thanks for initiating this interesting thread.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 6th, 2019, 8:29 am

PYAD is in a better place than most to know if there is a large majority of HYPers that don't not post here but happily "do dick" with their HYP, one data point he has that we do not is what the subscription number are and have been for The Dividend Letter. As I said above, my guess is that the regualrly active participants on this board number no more than 25. At the point the decision was made to discontinue The Dividend Letter, how many subscribers did it have? What was the peak level of subscripton to The Dividend Letter?

If PYAD were willing to share these figures it would give further insight in to the basis for his comments about the silent majority.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 6th, 2019, 9:15 am

csearle wrote:Where I agree with you is that this board is being allowed to evolve. Personally I find this irritating and will cease "using" the board for my minimal HYP maintenance and just help moderate it in a more disinterested way.

Regards,
Chris

Personally I find this irritating

Well said, so do I. Some seem constantly to push an attempt to blur the lines between what is HYP and what isn't. This isn't something to applaud; quite the opposite.

Arb.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 6th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
csearle wrote:Where I agree with you is that this board is being allowed to evolve. Personally I find this irritating and will cease "using" the board for my minimal HYP maintenance and just help moderate it in a more disinterested way.

Regards,
Chris

Personally I find this irritating

Well said, so do I. Some seem constantly to push an attempt to blur the lines between what is HYP and what isn't. This isn't something to applaud; quite the opposite.

Arb.

I suspect that this isn't the only source of irritation. The abundant wealth of minutiae is another departure from HYP-Practical on TMF that I regret.

It is difficult (in fact impossible) to raise this without running the risk of singling out a small subset of readers, but do we need quite so many posts pointing out the results of a specific drug test, contract win, or re-publishing a news item that is in the public domain?

Put another way, would Doris care? Or even notice? And surely this was what Pyad was alluding to a few days back, as well. Does it really matter? And if not, why are we wasting our collective time posting and reading it?

MDW1954

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 6th, 2019, 11:25 pm

MDW1954 wrote:I suspect that this isn't the only source of irritation. The abundant wealth of minutiae is another departure from HYP-Practical on TMF that I regret.

It is difficult (in fact impossible) to raise this without running the risk of singling out a small subset of readers, but do we need quite so many posts pointing out the results of a specific drug test, contract win, or re-publishing a news item that is in the public domain?

Put another way, would Doris care? Or even notice? And surely this was what Pyad was alluding to a few days back, as well. Does it really matter? And if not, why are we wasting our collective time posting and reading it?

MDW1954

In my case I have already read most of the relevant RNS posts, or ignored them as being of no interest, from the horse's mouth. Dividend declarations are a different matter, as are corporate actions.

TJH

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 7th, 2019, 6:51 am

tjh290633 wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:I suspect that this isn't the only source of irritation. The abundant wealth of minutiae is another departure from HYP-Practical on TMF that I regret.

MDW1954

In my case I have already read most of the relevant RNS posts, or ignored them as being of no interest, from the horse's mouth. Dividend declarations are a different matter, as are corporate actions.

TJH

I gather MDW1954 was referring to me posting details regarding drug tests from what I guess are shares that are widely held here (AZN & GSK). I think they are of interest, if you think not you can do as Terry does, and just ignore them. Or am I wasting my time trying to generate chat on this board, I'm seriously beginning to wonder?

Ian.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 7th, 2019, 7:18 am

idpickering wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

MDW1954

TJH

I gather MDW1954 was referring to me posting details regarding drug tests from what I guess are shares that are widely held here (AZN & GSK). I think they are of interest, if you think not you can do as Terry does, and just ignore them. Or am I wasting my time trying to generate chat on this board, I'm seriously beginning to wonder?

Ian.

A lot of them I've already read in the RNS, or ignored as of no interest, but regularly there are company news items I would have missed if they hadn't been posted here. So they are useful to me, and knowing which are useful to who and which not is not possible so keep posting. As long as the subject heading is good it's easy to skip the ones I'm not interested in.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 7th, 2019, 8:14 am

idpickering wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:

MDW1954

TJH

Ian.

But few, if any, of the posters here have the technical knowledge to have any sort of worthwhile discussion about drug tests. If the desire is to provoke debate, IMHO much better to spend a bit of time writing up your current views on a share, ideally with an explanation of what may have changed since the last time the share was discussed. If nothing has changed, then is there a need to debate the share again?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 7th, 2019, 10:18 am

idpickering wrote:I gather MDW1954 was referring to me posting details regarding drug tests from what I guess are shares that are widely held here (AZN & GSK). I think they are of interest, if you think not you can do as Terry does, and just ignore them. Or am I wasting my time trying to generate chat on this board, I'm seriously beginning to wonder?

No, you're kindly gathering together HYPish stuff which may be of interest.
One does not have to read it.

Of course, perhaps it's the wrong sort of drugs hehheh.

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 7th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Wizard wrote:PYAD is in a better place than most to know if there is a large majority of HYPers that don't not post here but happily "do dick" with their HYP, one data point he has that we do not is what the subscription number are and have been for The Dividend Letter. As I said above, my guess is that the regualrly active participants on this board number no more than 25. At the point the decision was made to discontinue The Dividend Letter, how many subscribers did it have? What was the peak level of subscripton to The Dividend Letter?

If PYAD were willing to share these figures it would give further insight in to the basis for his comments about the silent majority.

Agreed, although I doubt that Pyad would want us to know either how much money he made from his tipsheet, or how little.

And even Pyad's supporters would probably admit that he has a habit of bigging himself up so personally I'd prefer to see data that can be independently corroborated. For instance if his tipsheet carried ads, then he probably had to provide circulation numbers as part of selling that.

But even if we knew those numbers they still won't neccesarily bolster his claim that there is a silent majority of HYP'ers who don't use this board and who follow his rules much more closely than our version because:

1) Not everyone who signed up for the tipsheet will actually adopt HYP.
2) Even if some or most of them do adopt HYP, pyad would still have no idea what they actually do with it and how closely they follow its advice.
3) And whilst some of them may give feedback to pyad some other way, there is likely to be some confirmation bias there. It's easier to tell someone they have been helpful than to tell them they have been useless. It may be that he only sees positive feedback and so has a skewed picture.

The real solution is for people not to make very broad claims here without furnishing any ability to determine their veracity, especially if those claims are self-serving.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 7th, 2019, 8:14 pm

88V8 wrote:No, you're kindly gathering together HYPish stuff which may be of interest.
One does not have to read it.
Almost all of it is not HYPish though. It is almost entirely irrelevant to HYP. It is the haystack hiding the needle. You almost do have to read it in order to rule it out. It would be better to post it elsewhere so those trying to use the board for its intended purpose don't have to wade through reams of guff about company trivia in order to find the vaguely HYP-relevant information.

If people don't want to run the mainly hands-off HYP advocated here, but rather discuss a company's every move, then IMO they should do it on one of the many boards on TLF not dedicated to HYP.

Chris

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » February 7th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Gee, this thread is a barrel of laughs.

So you guys are now advocating removing actual news that relate to HYP shares off the board. One of the few worthwhile activities that actually happen on here. Mind boggling.

No doubt we can continue with this type of ridiculous point scoring thread that "Doris" seems to love. Rolls eyes

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 7th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Walrus wrote:So you guys are now advocating removing actual news that relate to HYP shares off the board.

I don't think that's the point being made at all.

It is the posting of RNSs from, say, this source https://www.investegate.co.uk/CompData. ... ouncements which is more pertinent. Take your pick but which of those do you feel is relevant to this board?

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”