Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Dividend Letter discontinued

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Walrus
Lemon Slice

Re: The Dividend Letter discontinued

Postby Walrus » February 7th, 2019, 9:03 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Walrus wrote:So you guys are now advocating removing actual news that relate to HYP shares off the board.

I don't think that's the point being made at all.

It is the posting of RNSs from, say, this source https://www.investegate.co.uk/CompData. ... ouncements which is more pertinent. Take your pick but which of those do you feel is relevant to this board?

I don't hold Astra so personally it's irrelevant. If I did I imagine I would be interested in the drug pipeline.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » February 7th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Walrus wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
Walrus wrote:So you guys are now advocating removing actual news that relate to HYP shares off the board.

I don't think that's the point being made at all.

It is the posting of RNSs from, say, this source https://www.investegate.co.uk/CompData. ... ouncements which is more pertinent. Take your pick but which of those do you feel is relevant to this board?

I don't hold Astra so personally it's irrelevant. If I did I imagine I would be interested in the drug pipeline.

But again it's by the by. I have foolishly got involved and now will be embroiled in pedantic arguing for arguing sake. Best to just ignore. Just delete my post.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » February 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Walrus wrote:So you guys are now advocating removing actual news that relate to HYP shares off the board. One of the few worthwhile activities that actually happen on here. Mind boggling.

The news that I have always found useful and relevant here are the dividend announcements, ex-dividend and payment dates, for which we can largely thank Ian (idpickering) who is usually en pointe with such matters.

Everything else IMO is irrelevant, un-HYPish and arguably belongs on the Company Analysis or Share Ideas boards as csearle suggests. Anyone who wants those could subscribe to RNS themselves. Although for sheer entertainment value I do enjoy the regular and nebulous directorspeak updates from Astrazeneca particularly.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 7th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Walrus wrote:Gee, this thread is a barrel of laughs.

So you guys are now advocating removing actual news that relate to HYP shares off the board. One of the few worthwhile activities that actually happen on here. Mind boggling.

No doubt we can continue with this type of ridiculous point scoring thread that "Doris" seems to love. Rolls eyes

I have already said, on the Tate thread, that no one is advocating not posting trading updates and annual results etc. Nor has anyone ever advocated that.

But the HYP Practical board isn't the place to keep up to date on the minutiae of Glaxo's drugs pipeline.

That isn't news that is going to affect a HYP share's dividends for -- at the very least -- several years.

Why would HYPers want to know about it now?

MDW1954

ElectronicFur
2 Lemon pips

Postby ElectronicFur » February 7th, 2019, 9:33 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:As the OP and a new HYP investor, I am quite surprised (understatement) at the amount of discord apparent in many responses. It is sometimes like watching two bald men fight over possesion of a comb.

There is room for both "churches" in this investment universe and niether one nor the others should be critisised IMHO.

This discord has been the situation ever since HYP boards existed on the Motley Fool...

Which shows there isn't really room for both "churches" on a forum...

As a consequence I don't bother to frequent the HYP boards much anymore. My HYP keeps doing the business though and paying the bills. For me HYP has been a game-changer, and the income stream gave me the confidence to retire early. So I'm very grateful to Pyad for his original articles which introduced and explained the whole concept so clearly. I suspect if I had to figure it out from only reading HYP forum posts it would have been a lot less clear due to all the conflicting views.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 7th, 2019, 9:40 pm

ElectronicFur wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:As the OP and a new HYP investor, I am quite surprised (understatement) at the amount of discord apparent in many responses. It is sometimes like watching two bald men fight over possesion of a comb.
'There is room for both "churches" in this investment universe and niether one nor the others should be critisised IMHO.

This discord has been the situation ever since HYP boards existed on the Motley Fool...

Actually the discord predates the TMF HYP boards. That is because there used to be only one HYP board and these fights existed then. Someone came up with the bright idea of splitting HYP discussions into two boards and of course the community was split on that as well. In the end two boards were created. Guess what? The fights continued. The "Great Schism" achieved nothing and, at one point, the Fool who suggested two boards opined that the solution might be to have three boards. Enough already!

ElectronicFur wrote:So I'm very grateful to Pyad for his original articles which introduced and explained the whole concept so clearly. I suspect if I had to figure it out from only reading HYP forum posts it would have been a lot less clear due to all the conflicting views.

Tempting on grounds of simplicity, certainly. But once you take on board the idea that one person is right and nobody else can add to that or improve it, it leaves you very vulnerable if it later turns out that the Emperor had no clothes on after all.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 7th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Moderator Message:
I think that we have done this subject to death now, and it has drifted off-topic. I'm locking the thread. There is a further thread on the subject on the other HIgh Yield Board, viewtopic.php?p=199696#p199696

Please discuss strategies on the Strategies Board.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”