Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Royal Mail Group Trading Update

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Royal Mail Group Trading Update

Postby idpickering » January 29th, 2019, 7:08 am

Key points

· Recent trading performance broadly in line with our expectations

· Now expect to deliver adjusted Group operating profit before transformation costs of £500-£530m for 2018-19 (52 week basis)

· Group revenue up 2%

· UKPIL parcel volumes and revenue both up 6%

· Addressed letter volumes (excluding election mailings) down 8% and total letter revenue down 6%

· GLS revenue up 13% including acquisitions and up 8% on an underlying basis.

· Focus on margin protection expected to result in slowing in rate of GLS volume growth next year

· Addressed letter volume declines (excluding election mailings) expected to be 7-8% in 2018-19

· Addressed letter volume declines (excluding election mailings) likely to be outside forecast medium-term range next year

· Cost avoidance programme on target to deliver £100m costs avoided in 2018-19

· Otherwise, reconfirming outlook and other guidance for 2018-19 provided in half year results

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-mai ... 00073376O/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: Royal Mail Group Trading Update

Postby idpickering » January 29th, 2019, 10:44 am

RMG down over 10% currently, in a rising market. I'm not remotely thinking of buying RMG. Anyone else here?

Ian.

teecee90
2 Lemon pips

Postby teecee90 » January 29th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Topped up both Royal Mail (RMG) and British American Tobacco(BATS) today.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 29th, 2019, 1:50 pm

teecee90 wrote:Topped up both Royal Mail (RMG) and British American Tobacco(BATS) today.

I mentioned elsewhere that I was intending to top up my BATS holdings next month. Good luck with your purchases.

Ian.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 29th, 2019, 5:14 pm

idpickering wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that I was intending to top up my BATS holdings next month.
I topped up my IMB holding just now as it was at the top of my tjh-like ranking. I realise that next month is not far off Ian but, my usual question, how do you know already that BATS will be the best top-up candidate? C.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2019, 5:15 am

csearle wrote:
idpickering wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that I was intending to top up my BATS holdings next month.
I topped up my IMB holding just now as it was at the top of my tjh-like ranking. I realise that next month is not far off Ian but, my usual question, how do you know already that BATS will be the best top-up candidate? C.

A fair question. In my HYP Imperial Brands is currently twice the capital value of my BATS holdings, and I want to bring them closer in line. Nowadays I like to plan reasonably ahead of the game rather than do the last minute dithering and Pickering for which I think I’m more well known for doing. Also I’m buying before their next ex divi date.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 30th, 2019, 7:22 am

idpickering wrote:RMG down over 10% currently, in a rising market. I'm not remotely thinking of buying RMG. Anyone else here?

Ian.

Not favourably reviewed on radio 4 busibess news today. Broadly not able to control revenues or costs due to legacy obligations and competition - it was summed up as being "between a rock and a hard place".

I've never been attracted to this share - it's troubled history and birth seemed a compromise and muddle which rather put me off at launch.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2019, 7:26 am

Arborbridge wrote:
idpickering wrote:RMG down over 10% currently, in a rising market. I'm not remotely thinking of buying RMG. Anyone else here?

Ian.

Not favourably reviewed on radio 4 busibess news today. Broadly not able to control revenues or costs due to legacy obligations and competition - it was summed up as being "between a rock and a hard place".

I've never been attracted to this share - it's troubled history and birth seemed a compromise and muddle which rather put me off at launch.

Arb.

I have held in the past, but lost faith in them. My wife works for them part time, and has commented that there’s not much in the way of letters, and is mainly parcels.

Ian.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 30th, 2019, 7:46 am

most financial metrics are actually quite favourable.

against is politics , regulation , unions and competition .

possibly the fall is overdone ??

:)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 30th, 2019, 8:45 am

jackdaww wrote:most financial metrics are actually quite favourable.

possibly the fall is overdone ??

:)

That just about sums up most of our shares ;)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 30th, 2019, 11:16 am

I see that the CEO ( Rico Back*) just bought 150,000 shares at 260.8p per share (£391k).

http://www.lse.co.uk/share-regulatory-n ... areholding

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 31st, 2019, 4:45 pm

idpickering wrote:
Nowadays I like to plan [to buy] reasonably ahead of the game rather than do the last minute dithering and Pickering for which I think I’m more well known for doing.

Surely trying to make these sorts of purchase-decisions too early leaves you more time between that point and the actual purchase-date to dither about with that decision?

Surely leaving any HYP purchase-decision to nearer the purchase-date would benefit two aspects of that process -

1. You'd be working with the most up-to-date data, with regards to prices and yields, and any relevant company-related news..

2. There would be less opportunity to dither between the decision and the act....

I make my HYP purchase decisions within a day or two of the purchase itself.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 31st, 2019, 5:15 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Nowadays I like to plan [to buy] reasonably ahead of the game rather than do the last minute dithering and Pickering for which I think I’m more well known for doing.

Surely trying to make these sorts of purchase-decisions too early leaves you more time between that point and the actual purchase-date to dither about with that decision?

Surely leaving any HYP purchase-decision to nearer the purchase-date would benefit two aspects of that process -

1. You'd be working with the most up-to-date data, with regards to prices and yields, and any relevant company-related news..

2. There would be less opportunity to dither between the decision and the act....

I make my HYP purchase decisions within a day or two of the purchase itself.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I do get where you're coming from, but that's how I tend to do it nowadays. If a drama happened nearer to my buying day regarding any of my holdings, that might change my choice, but such micro-management is what I'm trying to stop doing. Each to their own and all that.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”