Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Alternative to RioTinto

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
floyd3592
Lemon Pip

Alternative to RioTinto

Postby floyd3592 » February 13th, 2019, 9:55 am

Was going to buy RIO to add to my HYP last month but didn't do it. I see that the share price has risen somewhat since then so it's putting me off a bit. Whilst this might sound like me trying to time the market are there any shares similar to RIO in the same sector I could be looking at as an alternative?
Last edited by tjh290633 on February 13th, 2019, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title corrected - TJH

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Alternative to Rio Tinto

Postby moorfield » February 13th, 2019, 10:02 am

I bought some RIO as a new addition to my portfolio last week at a yield of 5.3% - that's above benchmark (CTY, 4.5%) good enough for me.

Candidates from the Basic Materials industry are thin on the ground, and RIO is already the biggest kid in that playground.
Last edited by moorfield on February 13th, 2019, 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Alternative to Rio Tinto

Postby tjh290633 » February 13th, 2019, 10:04 am

It all depends what takes your fancy. I hold BHP, RIO and S32. I did hold AAL but switched from them into BLT (as it then was) when AAL stopped their dividends. You pays your money.....

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Alternative to RioTinto

Postby Arborbridge » February 13th, 2019, 10:29 am

As a general comment, I wouldn't be put off by an increase in price provided the yield still fits. One could argue that this is comfirmation that you've made a good choice - and to buy in to a rising price rather than a falling one, is a happier position in which to be.

Looking at the chart for RIO just now, I might even buy some now and some later - the second tranche to take a gamble on whether the price falls back a little or not. Let's face it, it won't make much difference either way and in two years' time you probably won't even remember!

NB - I also notice the forecast for RIO's eps and div are falling for next year. This is probably an occupational hazard with holes in the ground - the volatility. Worth thinking about, since if you are already worried about the yield (which seems respectable to me) there's a chance the payout will be worse next year.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: Alternative to RioTinto

Postby idpickering » February 13th, 2019, 10:50 am

Arborbridge wrote:As a general comment, I wouldn't be put off by an increase in price provided the yield still fits. One could argue that this is comfirmation that you've made a good choice - and to buy in to a rising price rather than a falling one, is a happier position in which to be.

Arb.

I very much agree with Arb on that. Back to the OP though, I hold both Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton, to spread my risk between them, both equally weighted in capital value terms. I'm not adding to either currently as I have enough already.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”