Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

RNS announcements posted on this board.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

RNS announcements posted on this board.

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2019, 6:37 am

Having read umpteen negative comments in recent threads regarding me putting up RNS posts that are not those involving company results or dividend matters, I want to openly tell the board that I shall stop posting these other items, and will stick with the results and dividend matters going forward. It saves me time, and aggro, and keeps this board on track.

Ian.

maximan
2 Lemon pips

Re: RNS announcements posted on this board.

Postby maximan » February 8th, 2019, 8:48 am

Thanks for all the work you have put in Ian.
For what it's worth I think that outside of very minor technical information if a company issues a RNS I like to hear about it and will miss your posts.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » February 8th, 2019, 8:54 am

I think that's a shame, but can understand as those complaining simply seem unable to just ignore the posts they don't care about :roll:

This used to be one of my favourite boards, but I intend to stop visiting it now as I can't be bothered with all the arguing that seems to go on anymore.

I'll stick to the Strategies board instead.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 8th, 2019, 9:11 am

I value your posts, definitely including the RNS. If you stop posting the minor ones but keep to the major announcements of dividends, results etc, that sounds like a reasonable compromise, but why people can't just skip the ones they are not interested in, beats me.

Remember: Those that can do, those that can't, criticise... and "Nil desperadum: Illegitimi non carborundum" ! A suitable motto for all HYPers.

Arb.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » February 8th, 2019, 9:13 am

Thanks Ian

I fear this will turn into another argument thread, but appreciate what you are doing with the updates.

Cheers

Walrus

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » February 8th, 2019, 9:15 am

Arborbridge wrote:I value your posts, definitely including the RNS. If you stop posting the minor ones but keep to the major announcements of dividends, results etc, that sounds like a reasonable compromise, but why people can't just skip the ones they are not interested in, beats me.

Remember: Those that can do, those that can't, criticise... and "Nil desperadum: Illegitimi non carborundum" ! A suitable motto for all HYPers.

Arb.

My thoughts exactly.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2019, 9:17 am

Thank you for your support guys. Darka, should you disappear you will be missed, so I'd rather you popped in sometimes. I get where you're coming from though. There is to much childish bickering on this board.

Ian.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » February 8th, 2019, 9:19 am

idpickering wrote: There is to much childish bickering on this board.

Ian.

No there isn't

:D :D :D

Cheers, OLTB.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2019, 9:20 am

Arborbridge wrote:I value your posts, definitely including the RNS. If you stop posting the minor ones but keep to the major announcements of dividends, results etc, that sounds like a reasonable compromise, but why people can't just skip the ones they are not interested in, beats me.

Arb.

Spot on Arb, thank you. That's how it'll be from me going forward. Anything else isn't worth the angst. As for this thread, let's keep on topic, and no bickering please.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 8th, 2019, 9:25 am

idpickering wrote:Having read umpteen negative comments in recent threads regarding me putting up RNS posts that are not those involving company results or dividend matters, I want to openly tell the board that I shall stop posting these other items, and will stick with the results and dividend matters going forward. It saves me time, and aggro, and keeps this board on track.

Ian.

Ian, I think that is very sensible. Those are, after all, the reason behind HYP investing. Things like director's transactions and other events which do not impact on company performance can simply be left to the individual to discover

One feature of the ADVFN boards is the inclusion of a list of RNS posts in the header of most company-specific boards. That helps one to spot things missed in the early morning trawl of Investigate.

I regret the loss of the company-specific boards which were a feature of TMF. There a lot of the minutiae could be posted without controversy, although they tended to be underused. Here the only such facility is the "Share Ideas" forum, which does not lend itself to this way of posting. But I digress.

TJH

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2019, 9:45 am

Thank you for your input Terry, and your support for my stance. Like you, I miss the company boards that we had on TMF.

Ian.

pyad
Lemon Slice

Postby pyad » February 8th, 2019, 11:11 am

I welcomed your company news posts Ian, can't see why anyone would object. There is a lot of guff on this board that really deserves objection, but I fail to see why anyone is bothered at all by your news posts.
Last edited by pyad on February 8th, 2019, 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » February 8th, 2019, 11:11 am

I also think it is a shame that the small "snippets of news" RNS's will no longer be posted. I find all the RNS items that you post useful and interesting for the HYP shares I hold and although the results RNS's are the most important ones I have always enjoyed reading the others.

I would like to thank you Ian for your work in posting all the RNS's.

How small snippets of news relating to HYP shares can be off topic for this board given the general volume of off-topic and non-HYP posting that goes on I don't understand.

I rarely post and I've been running a largely no-tinker HYP since 2003 but I regularly frequent this board and a big reason for this is the RNS's you post.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » February 8th, 2019, 11:46 am

I want to be careful not to dismiss Ian's efforts (thanks Ian), but I worry the majority of news posts here foster an unnecessary level of knee-jerking, dumpology and dither-tinkering (frequently read about here and pyad rightly rails against) - that feeling of "don't just stand there, do something" in action perhaps.

Consider an (anonymous) example posted here recently.

I sold this morning at XXXp after seeing the news.

I don't know if that decision was a direct result of the OPs thread (probably not), experienced contributors almost certainly find the news threads easy to spot and filter, but visiting initiates of HYP might find how it should be practised confusing - after all, aren't we supposed to be ignoring the news?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2019, 11:54 am

pyad wrote:I welcomed your company news posts Ian, can't see why anyone would object. There is a lot of guff on this board that really deserves objection, but I fail to see why anyone is bothered at all by your news posts.

Cheers for sharing your views on this Stephen, I do agree with you in principle. It does sadden me as I thought I was doing people here a favour. For me, it is the diversions that this argument causes in threads that all to often wander off topic, which lead me to call a halt to that kind of RNS posts. At least discussing this matter in this thread will allow posters to air their views and get it off their chest.

My thanks also to fisher for his kindly worded post.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 8th, 2019, 12:42 pm

moorfield wrote:I want to be careful not to dismiss Ian's efforts (thanks Ian), but I worry the majority of news posts here foster an unnecessary level of knee-jerking, dumpology and dither-tinkering (frequently read about here and pyad rightly rails against) - that feeling of "don't just stand there, do something" in action perhaps.

That's a good point. We can always ignore posts, but the general tendency to look at smaller details is one the HYPer should try to avoid. Lift one's eyes to the long term picture and let the management manage.

Arb.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » February 8th, 2019, 1:39 pm

For me it's a good move. It was already the busiest board here, and a few less posts each day will help.

Cheers,
StepOne

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 8th, 2019, 4:23 pm

The point I tried to make on another thread was a response to Ian saying that the reason he posted links to an RNS was to stimulate discussion. I specifically highlighted those that relate to the technical aspects of pharma and I stand by my observation that few, if any, on here are in a position to have an insightful discussion on what these announcements mean for a particular share. A very recent example was a post on an RNS from Astra Zeneca:

idpickering wrote:
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Orphan Drug Designation (ODD) to Fasenra (benralizumab) for the treatment of hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES).

HES is a group of rare, potentially fatal disorders characterised by high numbers of eosinophils in blood and tissues, which can cause progressive damage to any organ in the body.1,2 The FDA grants ODD status to medicines intended for the treatment, diagnosis or prevention of rare diseases or disorders that affect fewer than 200,000 people in the US.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/astrazene ... 00021778P/

Now, I do not have the foggiest idea what any of that actually means and what, if any, importance it has to Astra Zeneca. To be honest my guess is neither did Ian when he posted it, hence the lack of any comment about it - if that is not the case I am happy to be corrected and will duly tip my hat to any insight in to this drug. The fact that the post generate no replies means that if, as Ian said, the objective is to generate discussion then the post failed to achieve this objective.

If one compares this to the posting of the SSE trading update the contrast is marked ad there have been a number of replies with comments around dividend sustainability.

Now I am not saying the only links worth posting are those around trading updates and results, there may well be others that have significance, but I think a degree of scrutiny would need to be applied to those non trading / results RNS before posting them. Now Ian very kindly gets up with the larks and kindly gives his time to post the links so I would never suggest he needs to increase his workload by vetting RNS before he posts them. So I appreciate his decision to only post trading updates and results related RNS going forward.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 8th, 2019, 4:51 pm

I must have missed the complaints about your RNS posts so I don't know what the alleged problem was. But I do notice that you are the 4th most thanked Lemon across all boards. I would assume that a good number of those are expressing appreciation for the work you do in sifting and reporting such announcements. Perhaps that statistical evidence should carry more weight in support of your efforts than the odd criticism here and there.

And you're always a gentleman.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 8th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Lootman wrote:I must have missed the complaints about your RNS posts so I don't know what the alleged problem was. But I do notice that you are the 4th most thanked Lemon across all boards. I would assume that a good number of those are expressing appreciation for the work you do in sifting and reporting such announcements. Perhaps that statistical evidence should carry more weight in support of your efforts than the odd criticism here and there.

And you're always a gentleman.

Thank you very much Lootman. I appreciate the way you phrased that, rather than [as a] personal attack [which is how others' words can seem].

Ian.

Moderator Message:
ALL,

1. I've just rephrased that comment slightly as I am sure idp would not have intended, however inadvertently, to be anything other than a perfect gentleperson. Please could we all stick to high standards of courtesy, most especially on the investment boards.

2. I've just deleted some commentary / posts about Brexit that would have been better said down in Polite Debates, where all are welcome to (politely & within limits) do that thing. We are all very aware this is a techy & testing time, but please keep the tetchiness down in Polite Debates. Maybe there was a better way for the comment to have been phrased to fit in OK up here, but the poster's wordsmithing didn't quite do it, and my wordsmithing didn't beat my fingers to the delete button.

3. Different strokes for different folks. Please everybody cut each other some slack and take however many chill pills are required.

regards all,
dspp

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”