Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

SLA share purchases

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: SLA share purchases

Postby Raptor » February 25th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Moderator Message:
This thread has gone way off topic for this forum. Can I point out that the "guidance" given at the top of the forum is what we, as moderators, are guided by. These and the general rules of TLF are what is important. Whether you follow blindly PYADs original method or a method of your own devices is immaterial as long as you abide by the guidance and rules. Please abide by this, a good discussion on HYP is always welcome but try to keep personal feelings out of it. Thanks for your understanding. Raptor.

There's nothing personal in it: it's just factual. HYP is well defined, so there's nothing to discuss in that sense. If people want to do something different, that is also fine, but don't call it "HYP Practical" if it doesn't follow the HYP guidelines. If the board guidelines and HYP guidelines are the near enough the same, I have no problem. If not, I can only conlude a mistake was made and the guideline are incorrect.

Arb.

Moderator Message:
The guidelines are correct for this board. This is off topic now any further discussions should be on Biscuit Bar. Raptor

PrefInvestor
Lemon Slice

Postby PrefInvestor » February 25th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Hi daveh, I want to follow up on this discussion, but it would seem that doing so is considered Off Topic ?, even though I thought I was discussing SLA (in the context of HYP) and then HYP investing in general. So I dont really understand why this is Off Topic. But I will do my best to respect the rules. I will reply on the Biscuit Bar with a new topic called "SLA Share Purchase Discussion (Continued)" but maybe not today now.

ATB

Pref

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » February 25th, 2019, 8:12 pm

PrefInvestor wrote:Hi daveh, I want to follow up on this discussion, but it would seem that doing so is considered Off Topic ?, even though I thought I was discussing SLA (in the context of HYP) and then HYP investing in general. So I dont really understand why this is Off Topic. But I will do my best to respect the rules. I will reply on the Biscuit Bar with a new topic called "SLA Share Purchase Discussion (Continued)" but maybe not today now.

Before you do that, think about what exactly you want to discuss.

If it's SLA's share buybacks, it's on the topic of this thread - so please continue here! The same goes if it's how one might think about those buybacks, and about HYPers should think about buybacks in general as obviously relevant context.

If it's other stuff about SLA, but still within the context of holding it within a HYP, this board is still a sensible place to discuss it. But starting a new thread on the board might be a good idea - you've a better chance of getting the attention of those who have decided they've read all they want to about buybacks!

If it's about what HYP strategies are, and especially if it's about whether running a HYP strategy is a good idea, it would probably be better discussed on the High Yield Shares & Strategies - general board, because it's rather hard to discuss a particular type of investment strategy while not mentioning other types, and very hard indeed to discuss their pros and cons without doing so.

If it's about the scope of this board, i.e. what is permissible discussion on it, which was where the exchange between Dod101 and Arborbridge had got to, there is a specific ruling about that in a fairly recent post by stooz and Clariman, the site owners that (I think) explains why Raptor said the Biscuit Bar was appropriate. See the section entitled "Discussion on the scope of an individual board".

There are doubtless other possibilities for what you want to discuss - those are just the main ones I've thought of. If you're uncertain where to discuss something, posting on the Biscuit Bar to ask for help about it is always a possibility!

Gengulphus

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 26th, 2019, 8:43 am

PrefInvestor wrote:Hi daveh, I want to follow up on this discussion, but it would seem that doing so is considered Off Topic ?, even though I thought I was discussing SLA (in the context of HYP) and then HYP investing in general. So I dont really understand why this is Off Topic. But I will do my best to respect the rules. I will reply on the Biscuit Bar with a new topic called "SLA Share Purchase Discussion (Continued)" but maybe not today now.

ATB

Pref

I've started a thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16454 over on High yield strategies to discuss this further. Hope you don't mind, I thought it might be more appropriate than the Biscuit Bar.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 4th, 2019, 12:52 pm

A Bloomberg TV interview of today with Standard Life Aberdeen's Gilbert:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... transition

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 4th, 2019, 1:45 pm

richfool wrote:A Bloomberg TV interview of today with Standard Life Aberdeen's Gilbert:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2 ... transition

The last sentence or so made me chuckle! He was comparing and contrasting his role as co-CEO with that of Mr Skeoch's.

Gilbert claims to look after the client side of the business...yep, I think we could guess that!

(The mundane part of running the business is Skeoch's contribution!)

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”