Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Galliford Try - Half Yearly Report.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Galliford Try - Half Yearly Report.

Postby idpickering » February 13th, 2019, 7:09 am

· Strong group underlying performance producing record pre-exceptional profit, with continuing progress against our strategic objectives across the Group.

· 3,069 total new homes completed by Linden Homes and Partnerships & Regeneration (H1 2018: 2,878).

· Net debt reduced to £40m (H1 2018: £85m), with average net debt decreasing to £126m (H1 2018: £203m).

· Interim dividend of 23.0p declared (H1 2018: 28.0p), in line with 2.0x cover policy.

· Increased total sales currently reserved, contracted and completed of £1,097m7 (H1 2018: £1,008m) and a current Group order book of £5.4bn7 (H1 2018: £5.6bn).

As previously announced, the Group's policy is for the dividend to be covered 2.0x by earnings. Reflecting this, the directors have declared an interim dividend of 23.0p per share (H1 2018: 28.0p), based on pre-exceptional earnings, which will be paid on 10 April 2019 to shareholders on the register at close of business on 15 March 2019.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/galliford ... 00028156P/

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Re: Galliford Try - Half Yearly Report.

Postby AndyPandy » February 13th, 2019, 10:56 am

Market seems to like it, anyway. Currently up 6% and I'm rocketing towards break-even :roll:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 13th, 2019, 11:03 am

I don't hold these, favouring Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon due to their obvious company size, and the perceived safety that offers. GFRD, at a £770m cap is on the small side for me. http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/t92wz0sj ... 0P00007OC7]3]0]E0EXG$XLON&externalidmic=XLON&ClearXrayPortfolioManagerApiInputData=true

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 13th, 2019, 11:17 am

6% up but the buggers trimmed 18% off the income. Still I suppose 2.x cover is more sustainable than 1.x.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 13th, 2019, 11:27 am

kempiejon wrote:6% up but the buggers trimmed 18% off the income. Still I suppose 2.x cover is more sustainable than 1.x.

That's an important point. Better to have a sensible cover than overpaying and increasingly unsustainable dividend.
I'd rather a company was realistic than carry on in a fantasy land.

Regrettably, I defended the same idea with Pearson's, which was always "absteemious" with its dividend, and look where that ended up!

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 13th, 2019, 11:44 am

But Arb from here Pearson have the chance to be a good dividend growth prospect!

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 13th, 2019, 11:55 am

idpickering wrote:I don't hold these, favouring Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon due to their obvious company size, and the perceived safety that offers. GFRD, at a £770m cap is on the small side for me. http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/t92wz0sj ... 0P00007OC7]3]0]E0EXG$XLON&externalidmic=XLON&ClearXrayPortfolioManagerApiInputData=true

Ian.

My bold.

Bigger than Marstons.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 13th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Wizard wrote:
Bigger than Marstons.

I'm not getting drawn into yet another bout of tiresome bickering or one-upmanship. Each to their own.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 13th, 2019, 1:05 pm

idpickering wrote:
Wizard wrote:
Bigger than Marstons.

I'm not getting drawn into yet another bout of tiresome bickering or one-upmanship. Each to their own.

Ian.

Fair enough Ian, but I simply don't get how you can say you don't like a company because it is too small, when you have a smaller company in your portfolio which you topped up only a coupl of months ago. But given previous comments made on the divergence between what you say and what you do, it does not surprise me that you do not want to enter in to a discussion on it. Trying to dismiss it by calling it "tiresome bickering" does not change the inherent contradiction.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » February 13th, 2019, 2:31 pm

AndyPandy wrote:Market seems to like it, anyway. Currently up 6% and I'm rocketing towards break-even :roll:

7.4% up now, so I'm now only 48% down on capital! More rockets please!
(Yet another case of spectacularly bad timing along with IMB and a few others.)

However at least this seems to show they're over the worst of the Carillion fallout and financial press comment seems rather more positive than it has for a long time. Trimming the dividend seems only sensible given the yield was over 12%, as long as the business gets back on track. When Petrofac and Immarsat can say the same I'll feel a lot happier (and richer!) ;-)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 13th, 2019, 6:08 pm

One thing that might be worth pointing out with GFRD was the 1 for 3 rights issue last year.

I'm expecting a similar cut on the final dividend.

(After all, the current yield before today's announcement was over 10%).

Let's hope that they negotiate a good deal on their compensation claims and that they don't have to resurface the new AWPR. :(

tramrider
2 Lemon pips

Postby tramrider » February 19th, 2019, 9:51 pm

monabri wrote:One thing that might be worth pointing out with GFRD was the 1 for 3 rights issue last year.

I'm expecting a similar cut on the final dividend.

I took up the rights issue in full last Easter. While the yield per share has gone down, the total amount of dividend paid on the new total number of shares is up a little on both the last final and the coming interim. That may be how they justify the change.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » February 21st, 2019, 2:39 pm

tramrider wrote:I took up the rights issue in full last Easter. While the yield per share has gone down, the total amount of dividend paid on the new total number of shares is up a little on both the last final and the coming interim. That may be how they justify the change.

Except that we know from the interim results how they justify the change! It's by saying the change is according to their current dividend policy:

"As previously announced, the Group's policy is for the dividend to be covered 2.0x by earnings. Reflecting this, the directors have declared an interim dividend of 23.0p per share (H1 2018: 28.0p), based on pre-exceptional earnings, which will be paid on 10 April 2019 to shareholders on the register at close of business on 15 March 2019."

One might regard it as a good justification or a poor one, but they've been quite clear about what their justification is...

Also, if they had been justifying the dividend reduction on the basis of the rights issue, there's an absolutely standard way of doing so, which is roughly (*) based on the position of someone who 'tail swallows' (sells enough rights for the sale proceeds to fund taking up the rest) and so doesn't either put capital into the holding (as you have done) or take it out (either actively, by selling the rights, or passively, by letting them lapse). That's basically the only like-for-like way of comparing dividends before and after a rights issue, since increasing one's dividend income by putting capital into the holding or decreasing it by removing capital from the holding is something any shareholder can do at any time, rights issue or no rights issue - all they have to do is buy or sell shares!

Interestingly, the interim report says that the interim dividend drop was from 28p to 23p and a fall of 18%, and the interim dividend per share last year was indeed 28p - i.e. the 28p figure is not adjusted for the rights issue. Looking carefully at the interim results, I see that it said earnings figures had been adjusted for the rights issue, but nothing similar about dividends - which seems rather odd. Checking the dates, the critical date for last year's earnings figures was the end of the half year, i.e. December 31st, 2017, the critical date for last year's dividend figures was when the interim dividend went ex-dividend, i.e. March 15th, 2018, and both of them precede the shares going ex-rights on March 28th, 2018. I.e. the 28p figure is for pre-rights issue shares, and the 23p for post-rights issue shares, and so I would normally have expected the standard adjustment for a rights issue to have been done.

The interim results do describe the adjustment to earnings with "The weighted average number of shares used for the half year to 31 December 2017 in the calculation of earnings per share information shown in the table below has been restated by adjusting those previously reported by an adjusting factor of 0.11147 to reflect the bonus element in the shares issued under the rights issue which completed on 16 April 2018." and the same adjustment would apply to dividends: it basically means that dividend per share figures from before the rights issue should be divided by 1.11147% to get a like-for-like comparison with figures from after the rights issue. That reduces the 28p comparative figure to 25.19p (which incidentally agrees with dividenddata's figure), so that the reduction from 25.19p to 23p is about an 8.7% drop.

Or more simply, a tail swallower will see a ~9% drop in their interim dividend payment from last year, as the combined result of a ~18% drop in dividend per share but a ~11% increase in their number of shares due to the tail-swallowing.

I can only guess why the company didn't do that completely standard adjustment and claim a 9% reduction rather than an 18% one in their interim results. My best guess is that having switched to a policy of making dividends be determined by earnings and not deliberately raised or cut by the directors, they didn't really care all that much any more about what the percentage drop was...

(*) It's got to be roughly, because exactly how a tail-swallower's holding is affected depends on exactly what price they manage to sell their rights for.

Gengulphus

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » February 21st, 2019, 6:41 pm

OK, so they have put the dividend + policy on a more sustainable footing.
So, where do folks think this business is heading?

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » February 22nd, 2019, 8:32 am

TUK020 wrote:OK, so they have put the dividend + policy on a more sustainable footing.
So, where do folks think this business is heading?

Well, I bought it because it combines house building with construction. My thinking was that, with it being relatively small market cap, it was better to buy a diversified company working in 2 areas rather than a pure housebuilder (like Taylor Wimpey) or a pure construction company (like Keir).

Unfortunately, I hadn't bargained on the collapse of Carillion and the knock effect on GFRD.

I will continue to hold, as they seem to be over the worst.

FD

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » February 22nd, 2019, 10:07 am

funduffer wrote:Well, I bought it because it combines house building with construction. My thinking was that, with it being relatively small market cap, it was better to buy a diversified company working in 2 areas rather than a pure housebuilder (like Taylor Wimpey) or a pure construction company (like Keir).

Unfortunately, I hadn't bargained on the collapse of Carillion and the knock effect on GFRD.

I will continue to hold, as they seem to be over the worst.

FD

That was exactly my thinking as well, and exactly my mistake too. Resulting in a 44% drop in capital value so far. Dividends alone will take about 7 or 8 years to recover that so nothing to do but hang on and hope for a recovery now that the Aberdeen millstone has been removed from their necks.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”