Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

RBS final results

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
daveh
Lemon Quarter

RBS final results

Postby daveh » February 15th, 2019, 10:25 am

Can be found here:
www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=2 ... 0895Q&fe=1

RBS reported an operating profit before tax of £3,359 million and an attributable profit of £1,622 million for 2018 and proposes a final ordinary dividend of 3.5 pence per share and a 7.5 pence special dividend.

● Q4 2018 operating profit before tax of £572 million and an attributable profit of £286 million.

Continued track record of delivery

Income resilient in a competitive market:

● Income increased by £269 million, or 2.0%, compared with 2017. Excluding notable items, NatWest Markets and Central items, income was stable.

●2018 net interest margin of 1.98% decreased by 15 basis points compared with 2017. Q4 2018 net interest margin of 1.95%, or 1.97% excluding one-off items, was 2 basis points higher than Q3 2018.

Lower costs through continued transformation and increased digitisation:

● Compared with 2017, other expenses decreased by £278 million, or 3.6%, excluding one-off VAT releases in 2017, and FTEs reduced by 5.8%.

● We continue to transition from physical to digital services. 6.4 million customers now regularly use our mobile app, 16% higher than 2017. In UK PBB, total digital sales increased by 19%, representing 45% of all sales. In Commercial Banking, we successfully launched the Bankline mobile app in the Apple app store and our customers can now apply digitally for loans of up to £750,000, the largest value offered by a UK commercial bank, with approximately 50% of loans given a decision in principle in under 24 hours.

Stronger capital position:

● CET1 ratio of 16.2% increased by 30 basis points in 2018 and included: the impact of a £2 billion pre-tax pension contribution; the settlement with the Department of Justice; and full year ordinary and special dividends of £1.6 billion. Excluding these items, the CET1 ratio increased by 240 basis points driven by the profit and reduced RWAs.

● Active capital management reduced RWAs by £12.2 billion in 2018.

● RBS achieved a clear pass in the 2018 Bank of England stress test.

the important bit:
Dividends

In 2018 RBS paid an interim dividend of £241 million, or 2.0p per ordinary share. In addition, the company proposes a final dividend of 3.5p per ordinary share and a further special dividend of 7.5p per ordinary share.

The final and special dividends recommended by directors are subject to shareholders' approval at the Annual General Meeting on 25 April 2019. If approved, payment will be made on 30 April 2019 to shareholders on the register at the close of business on 22 March 2019. The ex-dividend date will be 21 March 2019. No dividend was paid in 2017.

So I'll be getting enough to pay for a round rather than the single pint I could have bought with the interim divi ;)

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Re: RBS final results

Postby blobby » February 15th, 2019, 1:20 pm

I think this is putting RBS back into HYP territory which is great as I have held from the last time RBS was in HYP territory.

P/e about 10 and yield about 5% if you wish to include the specials. I guess RBS does not have a long record of dividends yet to tick all the boxes but for me I'm reasonably confident that it will have steady performance over the next few years.

Not as good value as Lloyds IMO but I'm happy with today's report and it is a different beast to Lloyds so perhaps some merit in holding both (which I do).

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Re: RBS final results

Postby daveh » February 15th, 2019, 2:15 pm

blobby wrote:I think this is putting RBS back into HYP territory which is great as I have held from the last time RBS was in HYP territory.

P/e about 10 and yield about 5% if you wish to include the specials. I guess RBS does not have a long record of dividends yet to tick all the boxes but for me I'm reasonably confident that it will have steady performance over the next few years.

Not as good value as Lloyds IMO but I'm happy with today's report and it is a different beast to Lloyds so perhaps some merit in holding both (which I do).

I too hold both from before the banking crisis, but they have performed rather differently for me.

I paid 8.7 squids for Lloyds its paid 2.1 squids in divis plus 0.7 of a squid in the form of TSB and the holding is now worth 5.6 squids - so I've almost broken even when TSB is included

I only spent 6.9 squids on RBS but it's paid out less than 0.3 of a squid in dividends and is worth a little over 0.3 of a squid today for an overall loss of 90%.

To be fair I bought Lloyds well before the crisis and RBS in time to collect only 2 years of dividends, but I think Lloyds has been the less bad investment and if I was buying more I'd probably buy Lloyds as they are paying more of there dividend as an ordinary dividend so it is more likely to be paid in future years. Much easier to not pay a special next time.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”