Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

WPP Results.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

WPP Results.

Postby idpickering » March 1st, 2019, 7:14 am

2018 at upper end of guidance; 2019 challenging as previously indicated; good initial progress on strategy

Mark Read, Chief Executive Officer, WPP:
“Since September, we have made good progress in implementing the new strategy for WPP. We have set out our vision for a more client-centric WPP, simplified our offer through the creation of two new integrated networks, VMLY&R and Wunderman Thompson, realigned our US healthcare agencies with major networks, formed the Company’s first executive committee and begun the process of seeking a financial and strategic partner for Kantar. Through 36 disposals since April 2018, we have strengthened our balance sheet and streamlined our business, raising £849 million of cash proceeds in 2018.

“We are showing early signs of success in attracting new business and new talent to WPP. The newly formed VMLY&R, for example, has enjoyed a strong start, with client wins totalling $25 million in its first 90 days. The quality of our creative work has been exceptional, with six WPP spots featuring at this year’s Super Bowl and work such as Grey’s ‘The Best Men Can Be’ for Gillette demonstrating once again the global impact of what we do.

“Our results for 2018 are at the upper end of the guidance we provided in October, with like-for-like revenue less pass-through costs down 0.4%.

“As we have said previously, 2019 will be challenging – particularly in the first half – due to headwinds from client losses in 2018. However, we start the year with fewer clients under review than we did in 2018, and investments in creativity and technology will further improve the competitiveness of our offer.

“Our business is performing strongly in Western Continental Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Africa & the Middle East and Central & Eastern Europe, and we are addressing our performance in the United States. Important wins such as Volkswagen in North America reflect our creative strengths, and we are making significant investments in talent in our largest market.

“We are at the beginning of a three-year turnaround plan, but WPP’s new positioning as a creative transformation company with stronger, more integrated, more tech-enabled agencies is already proving effective, having driven several of our recent new business successes. As we implement our strategy in 2019 we will continue to put creativity, technology and great work for clients at the heart of our own transformation.”

•2018 at upper end of guidance given in October, with like-for-like revenue less pass-through costs -0.4%
•As previously stated, 2019 challenging, particularly in the first half, due to headwinds from client losses in 2018
•Business performing strongly in Western Continental Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Africa & the Middle East and Central & Eastern Europe, and addressing performance in the United States
•Profit before tax reflects impact of restructuring and transformation costs and goodwill impairment
•Dividends per share of 60.0p, flat with last year
•Year end net debt position improved by £466 million on same date in 2017 (an improvement of £605 million at 2018 exchange rates)
•Good initial progress on implementing strategy

https://www.wpp.com/news/2019/03/2018-p ... ry-results

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: WPP Results.

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 7:45 am

A holding exercise with jam tomorrow. Where that leaves the HYPer is with a "trust the management" option to invest while prices are down, or wait and see for a year at least. It doesn't look as though the fundamental numbers will chance much compared with what was expected and the held dividend does not exclude us from further top-ups. Let's see how the price reacts, but the yield is not extreme, so this suggests the market is giving the benefit of the doubt. No significant shorts reported so far.

Naysayers will point out that this is in effect a new management and full of unknowns including changes in the business, so which management are we trusting? OTOH I'd say that a HYP buys and holds and duly expects a good company to adapt over the medium to long term: not our job to give marks out of ten for every management change.

I'm inclined to be in the top up camp - particularly if the market price holds up or turns up in the coming weeks.

Arb.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 1st, 2019, 8:07 am

Thanks Ian. Another flat dividend to add to my collection this year. :roll:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 1st, 2019, 8:09 am

moorfield wrote:Thanks Ian. Another flat dividend to add to my collection this year. :roll:

You're welcome, I'm with Arb on in the 'top up' camp. The results have been well received on the market, with the SP being up 8% as I type.

Ian.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » March 1st, 2019, 8:12 am

idpickering wrote:
moorfield wrote:Thanks Ian. Another flat dividend to add to my collection this year. :roll:

You're welcome, I'm with Arb on in the 'top up' camp. The results have been well received on the market, with the SP being up 8% as I type.

Ian.

:shock: I am getting -0.8% on SP on the Yahoo site

:shock: :shock: EDIT - Now showing 5.8%

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 1st, 2019, 8:20 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:

Nah, 8% it is. Not that we're bothered about that here. ;)

I'm surprised I must admit, as I thought it would drop.

Ian.
Last edited by idpickering on March 1st, 2019, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2019, 8:22 am

yield down 8%,

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 1st, 2019, 8:26 am

kempiejon wrote:yield down 8%,

Good point kempiejon. Cheers for reigning us back in. I haven't got a full holding of these, and may well still top up at some point, maybe in May?

Ian.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » March 1st, 2019, 8:28 am

What a sunny post :lol:

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 1st, 2019, 8:33 am

Unless my maths is wrong, an increase in share price of 8%, on a flat dividend, would result in a yield reduction of about 7.41%.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2019, 8:34 am

idpickering wrote:

Good point kempiejon. Cheers for reigning us back in. I haven't got a full holding of these, and may well still top up at some point, maybe in May?

Ian.

What was the phrase someone else used Facebook food?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 9:28 am

idpickering wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:

Nah, 8% it is. Not that we're bothered about that here. ;)

I'm surprised I must admit, as I thought it would drop.

Ian.

One is tempted to say, "damn - should have bought".

But, are we bovvered? If the yield is still very acceptable and is now back in the goldilocks zone, what's the problem?

If the sp had dropped and the yield increased a different set of people (the knights that go "Nay") would be pointing to its being too risky.

If I can buy into a share with a good enough yield and where the price is also in an uptrend (WPP isn't yet but soon may be) that seems to me a wholly desirable position.

Doing the opposite less so!

Arb.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » March 1st, 2019, 9:46 am

Arborbridge wrote:One is tempted to say, "damn - should have bought".

But, are we bovvered? If the yield is still very acceptable and is now back in the goldilocks zone, what's the problem?

As an HYPer surely it has just dropped out of the goldilocks zone

Ian

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 1st, 2019, 9:46 am

"I love it when a (long term incentive) plan comes together"

Col. John "Hannibal" Smith.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 1st, 2019, 10:12 am

monabri wrote:"I love it when a (long term incentive) plan comes together"

He also said:
"Give me a minute, I'm good. Give me an hour, I'm great. Give me six months, I'm unbeatable."

Perhaps that's another way of saying he doesn't jerk his knees or dither-tinker ? ;)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 10:18 am

IanTHughes wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:One is tempted to say, "damn - should have bought".

As an HYPer surely it has just dropped out of the goldilocks zone

Ian

If the yield is still acceptable, that by definition is in the goldilocks zone. We are only discussion the shade of gold :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 10:23 am

moorfield wrote:
monabri wrote:"I love it when a (long term incentive) plan comes together"

He also said:
"Give me a minute, I'm good. Give me an hour, I'm great. Give me six months, I'm unbeatable."

Perhaps that's another way of saying he doesn't jerk his knees or dither-tinker ? ;)

Another sub-culture I've missed out on completely - I had to look up whoever that was!

So, is that quote similar to: "in the short term it's a voting machine, and in the long term an weighing machine"?

Wait for the knees to stop jerking and if the scenario still looks good, buy?

Arb.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 1st, 2019, 10:23 am

PinkDalek wrote:

Unless my maths is wrong, an increase in share price of 8%, on a flat dividend, would result in a yield reduction of about 7.41%.

Be careful with your use of percentages here. The yield you can buy has changed from from 7.3% (last Friday) to 6.8% today - in finance parlance a drop of 50 basis points, rather than a reduction of ~7% which can be misleading.
Last edited by moorfield on March 1st, 2019, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 10:31 am

moorfield wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Be careful with your use of percentages here. The yield you can buy has changed from from 7.3% (last Friday) to 6.8% today - in finance parlance a change of 50 basis points, rather than a reduction of ~7% which sounds misleading.

Yes, but kemiejon is pointing out if your investment gave you an income of £730 pa last friday, it would have dropped to £680 today. The only point at issue is whether that insurance premium has any reality in reducing risk.

Don't ask me! - but I feel it's intuitively better to buy when prices are beginning to rise, rather than when the are beginning to fall, again and again and again. What mitigates this feeling of mine is a naturally tendency to be a contrarian - though I'm not convinced that has done me any good up to now.

Arb.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 1st, 2019, 10:47 am

Arborbridge wrote:Yes, but kemiejon is pointing out if your investment gave you an income of £730 pa last friday, it would have dropped to £680 today.

I don't think kempiejon was suggesting a reduction in income at all.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”