Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

WPP Results.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: WPP Results.

Postby moorfield » March 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

PinkDalek wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Yes, but kemiejon is pointing out if your investment gave you an income of £730 pa last friday, it would have dropped to £680 today.

I don't think kempiejon was suggesting a reduction in income at all.

Beat me to it. If my investment gave me an income of £730 pa last Friday, it would be giving me an income of £730 pa today ...

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 10:52 am

PinkDalek wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Yes, but kemiejon is pointing out if your investment gave you an income of £730 pa last friday, it would have dropped to £680 today.

Hmm. Maybe not - he'll have to answer. But it seems a reasonable inference that to comment on the fall in yield of 8% from friday to now suggests he is pointing out the resulting income which one is buying will have dropped by that much.

That's the effect: whether it's what he meant is, I grant you, rather different.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 10:54 am

moorfield wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Beat me to it. If my investment gave me an income of £730 pa last Friday, it would be giving me an income of £730 pa today ...

OK OK!! I made a mistake in the wording. I meant the difference in buying today as opposed to buying last friday.

Clearly, had you bought last friday, the income wouldn't have altered.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2019, 11:51 am

I was saying that one would be buying less income at these new prices. Prices up, yield down, if dividends constant.
Another way of looking at is of course if I hadn't bought when I initially did that same money would buy me about 40% more income today.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 1st, 2019, 11:55 am

This from TMF;

Is this FTSE 100 turnaround stock now superb value?

Few FTSE 100 stocks have been out of favour over the last couple of years as much as advertising giant WPP (LSE: WPP).

Since March 2017, the company has lost almost 60% of its value on fears over the trimming of advertising budgets by clients, the loss of contracts with others and the acrimonious departure of its founder and former CEO Martin Sorrell.

Today’s full-year results might not be enough to get the market back on the company’s side completely, but they do suggest the £10bn cap juggernaut is slowly turning itself around.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... erb-value/

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 1st, 2019, 12:34 pm

idpickering wrote:This from TMF;

Lazy financial journalism these articles :x (that's not a criticism of your posting it btw Ian).

Pick today's share that has plunged sp and held dividend, and ask if it's a "turnaround stock".

Expect a copy/paste when VOD announces a held dividend in May .... :twisted:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 1st, 2019, 1:15 pm

moorfield wrote:
idpickering wrote:This from TMF;

Lazy financial journalism these articles :x (that's not a criticism of your posting it btw Ian).

Pick today's share that has plunged sp and held dividend, and ask if it's a "turnaround stock".

Expect a copy/paste when VOD announces a held dividend in May .... :twisted:

I do get where you're coming from moorfield. I still find some of the TMF items of interest though. As for WPP, I only have a 'half' holding in capital value terms, so am likely to top up soon. I like the Global reach of the firm, and the current yield on offer too of course.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 2:59 pm

Before getting either too excited or too depressed about the WPP price, we shouldn't forget that today it is about the same selling price as the middle of January and sometime if December. It has neither slumped nor trended upwards but I'm hopeful that it has more or less stabilised now - at least to prevent further paper losses in my HYP.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2019, 3:55 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Before getting either too excited or too depressed about the WPP price, we shouldn't forget that today it is about the same selling price as the middle of January and sometime if December. It has neither slumped nor trended upwards but I'm hopeful that it has more or less stabilised now - at least to prevent further paper losses in my HYP.

Arb.

We really shouldn't be getting too anything about price, ya know with our yield strategy an all. As I said upthread WPP is a much better yield than my initial buy, perhaps I should bet some more. My HYP is due to get a top up with accumulated dividends mid month and at 7 and a bit % and under weight WPP it might be.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 4:32 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Before getting either too excited or too depressed about the WPP price, we shouldn't forget that today it is about the same selling price as the middle of January and sometime if December. It has neither slumped nor trended upwards but I'm hopeful that it has more or less stabilised now - at least to prevent further paper losses in my HYP.

Arb.

We really shouldn't be getting too anything about price, ya know with our yield strategy an all. As I said upthread WPP is a much better yield than my initial buy, perhaps I should bet some more. My HYP is due to get a top up with accumulated dividends mid month and at 7 and a bit % and under weight WPP it might be.

I'm getting too detailed only because I'm considering a top up either this month or soonish. In general, I don't fret about prices - only at particular moments such as topup times.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2019, 5:50 pm

Arb, so WPP are in the frame for your top too? 7.2% forecast (perhaps too much for some) with 1.7 times cover, yield has never been at these high levels, dividend was static last year but over 15 years has seen 15% annual growth. There was an announcement that the dividend to earnings ration would be reduced to 50% but this year was at 56%. Sector Media, I already have Moneysupermarket and ITV which got my Sky proceeds.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2019, 6:34 pm

kempiejon wrote:Arb, so WPP are in the frame for your top too? 7.2% forecast (perhaps too much for some) with 1.7 times cover, yield has never been at these high levels, dividend was static last year but over 15 years has seen 15% annual growth. There was an announcement that the dividend to earnings ration would be reduced to 50% but this year was at 56%. Sector Media, I already have Moneysupermarket and ITV which got my Sky proceeds.

Yes, defo in the frame. Last month BATs got the nod instead.

We'll see later!

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2019, 8:31 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
kempiejon wrote:Arb, so WPP are in the frame for your top too? 7.2% forecast (perhaps too much for some) with 1.7 times cover, yield has never been at these high levels, dividend was static last year but over 15 years has seen 15% annual growth. There was an announcement that the dividend to earnings ration would be reduced to 50% but this year was at 56%. Sector Media, I already have Moneysupermarket and ITV which got my Sky proceeds.

Yes, defo in the frame. Last month BATs got the nod instead.

We'll see later!

Arb.

Imps and WPP are currently my top two, the numbers from HYPTUSS offer me Centrica but they fail as cutters and SLA Standard Life Aberdeen but the smell puts me off, well actually the lack of history from the share in this form

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » March 1st, 2019, 11:08 pm

The whole company doesn't smell right to me. I may have mentioned, but I did some contract work for WPP. Almost everyone you meet is a pleasant charming individual, but the whole place was chaotic as hell. Of course, I only saw the business from my little corner of the company which can be misleading.

A strange place, and I miss it in a way, I had a pretty relaxing 9 months there doing very little of value. It kept the gas bills down at home, and gave me a few shekels for the SIPP.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 2nd, 2019, 8:24 am

paulnumbers wrote:The whole company doesn't smell right to me. I may have mentioned, but I did some contract work for WPP. Almost everyone you meet is a pleasant charming individual, but the whole place was chaotic as hell. Of course, I only saw the business from my little corner of the company which can be misleading.

A strange place, and I miss it in a way, I had a pretty relaxing 9 months there doing very little of value. It kept the gas bills down at home, and gave me a few shekels for the SIPP.

Must be nice to have a relaxing job when everyone else runs around in chaos...

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am

monabri wrote:
paulnumbers wrote:The whole company doesn't smell right to me. I may have mentioned, but I did some contract work for WPP. Almost everyone you meet is a pleasant charming individual, but the whole place was chaotic as hell. Of course, I only saw the business from my little corner of the company which can be misleading.

Perhaps it's one of those organised chaoses: whatever, the results over the years show it has worked.

I think probably nearer the truth is that many or most super-large organisations have something similar about them.

Arb.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » March 2nd, 2019, 8:55 am

Lots of low hanging fruit for improvement hopefully ;)

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » March 2nd, 2019, 9:38 am

Arborbridge wrote:
monabri wrote:

Perhaps it's one of those organised chaoses: whatever, the results over the years show it has worked.

I think probably nearer the truth is that many or most super-large organisations have something similar about them.

Arb.

Yes I think you're probably right. They're an odd thing corporations, I'm surprised any of them work!

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 2nd, 2019, 9:53 am

paulnumbers wrote:
Yes I think you're probably right. They're an odd thing corporations, I'm surprised any of them work!

Yes, indeed - especially when you hear of all the consumer complaints and bland intransigence. They just don't seem to care or work very well, and their success is based on might rather than excellence in some cases. Terribly sad for society, one might think, but it muddles along.

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » March 2nd, 2019, 10:55 am

monabri wrote:

Yes, it is. I learnt long ago that as a small insignificant cog, it's better not to get too involved emotionally.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”