Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

lack of dividends

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: lack of dividends

Postby CryptoPlankton » March 3rd, 2019, 11:26 am

idpickering wrote:
88V8 wrote:I recall a thread or three on TMF about the lumpiness of divis. If we depended on our HYP then I'd have to do something about it, as some months are verrrry slow.
Quarter-wise we're roughly 16% / 30% / 23% / 33%.

Quarterly payers are nice.
We have NRR, IMB, BATS, BRCI, RDSB, BP, GSK, BLND, plus RUSC, RUSP, DNA2, which are not discussable hereabouts.

V8

Although currently dividends received are held in my account in cash before I invest that money every month, if we were spending the dividends instead I like to think of the overall annual amount of dividends. Simply divide that by 12 to give you the average monthly available spending money. Easy to say in theory I know. Is anyone doing such a thing here?

Ian.

I'm doing what I think has been discussed at length before - leaving a safety margin on the withdrawals and also maintaining a cash reserve. In my case (for both my "HYPish" and IT income portfolios), I withdraw about 75% of the annual payout in regular monthly sums and have a reserve of one year's dividends in each account. Consequently, the distribution of dividends throughout the year is irrelevant.

It is still early days in my "drawdown" so I may make adjustments as I go along. At the moment, I am happy to accumulate the excess and reinvest it to help in the quest to offset inflation (though I obviously hope dividend growth alone may be enough!). Fortunately, I am not totally reliant on this income so can afford to be flexible...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 3rd, 2019, 11:38 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
The general idea that's put forward during these types of 'dividend-lumpiness' discussions is to have a separate 'holding account', which all dividends are paid into, and then we allow a capital buffer to build up inside that 'holding account'.

At some point, when the 'holding account' capital buffer is large enough (this can also be used as a safety-net buffer to cater for dividend-cuts etc...), you can then start to pay out a standard monthly payment from that 'holding account' into what might be your main bank-account - in a similar way as we generally see a monthly 'pay packet' amount paid into our accounts whilst we're working.

The idea is that over a 12-month period, the 12xmultiple that you pay out of the holding account is replenished inside the holding account by the portfolio dividend payments, with no real concern over when those payments are actually made to the holding account - so long as the expected dividends are received over a 12-month period, and there's a suitable buffer to cater for unexpected events, then everything should work really smoothly and we should simply see our 'dividend wage' appear every month into our main bank accounts...

Illustration here in case the above isn't clear -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2019, 12:15 pm

For the record, I do pretty much exactly as Itsallaguess suggested. I draw out around 80% of HYP income into my "holding tank" and draw from that a regular amount.

Of course, it doesn't matter at all when dividends arrive, given there's enough in the holding tank and my aim yesterday was just to get people writing :) I'm glad to have stimulated some practical comments: it's worth drawing out this sort of conversation for newer people who might be just exploring the practicalities of living on a HYP, even though the old hands will know all about these ideas.

Arb.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » March 3rd, 2019, 12:16 pm

Personally, I prefer to keep the "buffer" capital in the share accounts rather than have a separate holding account. Firstly, they are (mostly) ISA accounts so I'd rather not remove capital from tax shelters until necessary. Secondly, it is comforting to have some funds immediately available should anything unexpected (such as a corporate action) occur - I can always make adjustments later. And finally, for me at least, it seems like an extra bit of admin I simply don't need.

Of course, it depends how you organise your finances, so I'm sure others will think differently...

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 3rd, 2019, 12:50 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:Personally, I prefer to keep the "buffer" capital in the share accounts rather than have a separate holding account.

Yes, me too. It just happens that I have two broker ISA accounts with capital buffer I never touch. Cash reserves are additionally held elsewhere, not just the float in the holding account.

Arb.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » March 3rd, 2019, 4:29 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I don't think anyone should place any prominence at all on dividend payment dates - after all, we've no control over them, and companies often change the dates and payout configurations themselves, so why should they seriously matter?

I'd say there are two arguments in favour of smoothing out dividend payments, if reasonable and possible..

Firstly...

There is an opportunity cost in holding cash

I'm aware that at the minute that I have rather a substantial portion of my portfolio in cash (unrelated to expenditure; completely down to where to invest it), and I keep reminding myself that as it is, I'm foregoing probably somewhere in the region of £300 per month in dividend income as a result. I really should get a bit more pro-active!

Take the extreme example, if all your shares paid out on the same day of the year, then you'd have to effectively hold your annual income as cash for (on average) 6 months.

And at just under 12 months, you'd have a zero cash balance available, so you'd want a bit more of a buffer as well. So you'd end up having to hold more than 12 months income as cash for effectively 6 months (average).

That could easily mean an opportunity cost in the region of £1000 or more from dividends, had that cash buffer instead been invested, rather than being held as cash.

And that assumes that you expenditure is fairly uniform throughout the year. If your big holiday, car insurance renewal, christmas, etc, is 11 months after your dividends came in, you might have to hold the 12 months cash for more than an average of 6 months.

Otoh, if your dividend payments are more evenly spread out, then there doesn't need to be such a gap between receipt of the cash, and spending of the cash.

And therefore less lost opportunity cost.
(You can have a smaller buffer at any one time)

You also won't be swinging from feast to famine every 12 months. Instead the reservoir can remain more constant throughout the year. I'm not currently living off of my investments, but for my personality, I'd prefer a constant level reservoir, rather than going full / empty each year.

Secondly...

Going back to the extreme example, if all shares paid at the same time, once per year, you'd spend almost 12 months with no real feedback on how things are going.

You might suddenly be presented with substantial cuts across a number of your holdings.

If on the other hand, your companies announced throughout the year, you might have instead 3 separate instances of smaller drops, which would give you more time to adjust to, for example, foregoing some luxuries, looking for cheaper deals on things, etc.

Finally...

If you've got a choice of two candidate investments, otherwise identical, but one pays out in a month where you've got a lull in payments, personally, I'd make the payment date the deciding factor between the two, for the above mentioned reasons.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 3rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

onthemove wrote:
Secondly...

Going back to the extreme example, if all shares paid at the same time, once per year, you'd spend almost 12 months with no real feedback on how things are going.

You might suddenly be presented with substantial cuts across a number of your holdings.

I'm not convinced that citing extreme examples of portfolio dividend-situations negates the general overall benefits of the holding-account approach, and especially when taking the additional benefit of the cash buffer existing in the same holding account, smoothing out two distinct payment issues in one go.

In the vast majority of cases, in terms of subsequent level of effort and income-management, it'll simply make sense to use a middle-man holding account....

This is especially so, given that we've no control over a company subsequently changing or modifying their dividend-payment processes after we purchase them, so I'll continue to completely disregard the actual dividend payment dates of my investments - and believe there are much, much more important considerations that we should take heed of.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » March 3rd, 2019, 6:42 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
I'm not convinced that citing extreme examples of portfolio dividend-situations negates the general overall benefits of the holding-account approach, and especially when taking the additional benefit of the cash buffer existing in the same holding account, smoothing out two distinct payment issues in one go.

How one uses accounts to manage their buffer is a separate issue as to whether there's value in smoothing payments at source

I only cited extreme examples to illustrate the point - sometimes some people find it easier and clearer when thinking about the clear cut extremes. I figured some people (me included) would understand the point better - i.e. easier, clearer maths - by considering the extreme because it makes things simple to understand.... you get one big payment, and then its sat there not earning any dividends for up to 12 months (6 on average). It makes it easier to see that the money - and how much - is sat there, not earning anything

In the vast majority of cases, in terms of subsequent level of effort and income-management, it'll simply make sense to use a middle-man holding account....

Smoothed dividend payments don't avoid the need to still have a buffer of some kind - the only difference it makes is to what level you might choose to set the buffer.

Apart from just a small consideration at purchase time (e.g. choosing between two otherwise identical candidates), and potentially then choosing a lower buffer level, everything else is as it would have been, e.g. how you actually manage the buffer, how you account for the payments, etc.

Itsallaguess wrote:... so I'll continue to completely disregard the actual dividend payment dates of my investments ..

Fine.

Unlike you ("I don't think anyone should place any prominence at all on dividend payment dates"), I wasn't trying to tell anyone what or what not to do.

I was only adding in some additional points for consideration to the general discussion around dividend payment timings, just to point out that the longer between receiving a dividend and spending it, the more the opportunity cost associated with it.

I wasn't trying to claim them to be overriding points, in fact quite the opposite... I actually finished off by saying "If you've got a choice of two candidate investments, otherwise identical, but one pays out in a month where you've got a lull in payments, personally, I'd make the payment date the deciding factor between the two, for the above mentioned reasons."

In my view, it's one of those situations where if you're aware of it, then it's a no-brainer - if the choice would otherwise be to toss a coin, then going for the option that fits in better with your spending patterns can simply save you a few pennies without any additional work.

You're not interested in that, fine.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 3rd, 2019, 7:30 pm

onthemove wrote:
Unlike you ("I don't think anyone should place any prominence at all on dividend payment dates"), I wasn't trying to tell anyone what or what not to do.

I'm fairly sure that the words 'I don't think' mean that this is what I *think*, and is not me trying to 'tell people what to do'......

The issue of potentially purchasing income investments based on their payout dates comes up fairly regularly on these types of forum, and because it comes up quite regularly, it's clear that it's it's sometimes given quite a lot of prominence by some investors.

Whilst you clearly think that there's certain situations where such a metric might give sway to an investment decision, I think it's important to point out why other income-management options, such as a holding account and cash buffer, can show why it can be disregarded *completely* under those circumstances, to leave an investor to consider and compare the often much more *important* financial aspects of their potential investments.

I've seen inexperienced investors sometimes wanting to look for income investments that pay out on a particular month of the year as the *starting metric* for their investment filters, and so I think it's very sensible to point out why this might well lead to poor investment decisions more often than not.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 3rd, 2019, 8:04 pm

There was a time (when I had disposable income to invest irregularly) that I would use the excuse that my accumulated funds were just a few hundred short of my smallest-economical-purchase-amount to nudge me into investing a bit more into my HYP so as to scratch the "buy" itch. C.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 4th, 2019, 2:40 am

Cannot say that I regard the current shortage of HYP dividends as anything at all unusual - last year, I had no HYP dividends between February 8th and March 16th; in 2017, none between February 17th and March 17th; in 2016, none between February 10th and March 9th; in 2015, none between February 17th and March 11th; in 2014, none between February 17th and March 12th. (To be precise, that's strictly between in each case - e.g. in 2018, I did have HYP dividend payments on each of February 8th and March 16th, just none on any intervening date. I should also say that I'm counting all my HYP dividends, including the very small ones for shares in GDHYP and CHYP1 that aren't in my main HYP.)

As mentioned in the thread, there are some HYP companies that pay dividends in those gaps in my dividend payments. So the dividend payment gaps will vary between HYPers, depending somewhat randomly on what companies they happen to have bought. But in addition, they also vary somewhat randomly from year to year, depending on dividend payment date decisions they make: in the dates I've given above, the gap was only a day or two over 3 weeks in 2014 and 2015, 4 weeks in 2016 and 2017, and over 5 weeks in 2018. And while I have sold out of a few holdings and bought a few new ones in that time, those changes to the gaps aren't due to that. The change in the gap between 2015 and 2016 is due to Imperial Tobacco/Brands shifting from half-yearly payments to quarterly payments, replacing a mid-February dividend with end-of-December and end-of-March ones. Other factors affecting the exact length and timing of the gap are Unilever's payment date shifting 12 days later between March 9th and March 21st between 2016 and 2018, and Halfords paying a (genuine) special on February 17th, 2017.

But the reason for the gap is not hard to find. Most HYP companies have financial year ends of December 31st, March 31st or dates close to March 31st (the last generally applies to companies that work with 52-week 'years', with the occasional 53-week one inserted to keep them roughly aligned with a March 31st year end). The gap is at times that are too early for a December 31st company to get a final dividend out and extremely late for its interim dividend, while being pretty late for a March 31st company's interim and ridiculously late (or impossibly early) for its final. There are some exceptions to that rule, such as BHP with a financial year end of June 30th (which could probably get its interim out by late February / early March if it really got its skates on, but it doesn't), or Imperial Tobacco/Brands with a financial year end of September 30th (which as said above, used to get its final dividend out for mid-February before it shifted to quarterly payments), or Greene King with 52/53-week 'years' and an end-of-April/start-of-May financial year end (which might quite easily be somewhat slow about paying its interims and getting them out in the gap, but in fact gets them out in somewhat under three months from the half-year end and so pays them in the second half of January, well before the gap). IGG is about a month later than GNK, with a May 31st financial year end, and so its interim is not very surprisingly about a month later as well and hits the gap nicely with a late February / early March payment date. And TUI has a September 30th year end like Imperial Brands, but hasn't even shifted to half-yearly payments yet, let alone quarterly ones...

Basically, HYP companies with payment dates that hit the mid-to-late-February-and-early-March gap do exist, but it's only at all likely for those with unusual financial year ends, and might well not happen even for those. So unless a HYPer makes companies' payment dates an important factor in selecting them, they're not all that likely to have more than one or two and quite possibly none at all even in a large HYP.

However, I do not recommend making companies' payment dates an important factor in selecting them, both because there are far more important factors in selecting a HYP and because companies change their payment dates, not frequently but often enough that any carefully-designed payment schedule for a portfolio of 15+ companies is likely to start drifting away from that schedule within a year or two! The important jobs of a HYP and the companies in it are to produce enough income per year as reliably as possible and grow it adequately over the years. Don't let the matter of exactly when the payments arrive during the year distract you from that job when designing the HYP - ensuring that the income is produced before it is needed and keeping it around from when it is produced until when it is needed is a job that can be done quite satisfactorily with a cash reserve of a few months of living expenses in a bank account. If you (or a co-holder of the joint current account!) have a tendency to look at your bank account's balance and think that it's big enough to allow you to afford something you want, overlooking the fact that there's a slack period of dividend production coming up, use an extra 'buffer' bank account in addition to your normal current account, as described by Itsallaguess above. This extra account is only used to receive dividends and to make a regular 'salary' payment from to your normal current account, and should not be particularly easy to access: it ought to be a bit of effort to 'raid' it, enough to deter you from casually doing so.

And just to be clear, it's only the last paragraph of the above reply that I regard as at all important in practice - everything before it is just to satisfy curiosity about why there is a bit of a gap, and explain why selecting one's HYP to avoid the problem isn't actually all that good in practice.

Gengulphus

evilbungle
Lemon Pip

Postby evilbungle » March 4th, 2019, 10:13 am

This is something that I have also contemplated on many occasions (Although never have done as I also agree that payment date shouldn't be a decider.)

For me it is October where I only have one share pay out (GSK) with one quarterly payment which means that October provides me just 0.6% of my annual dividend payments. This makes October feel like quite a depressing month as normally I am receiving something every couple of weeks or so and therefore October lacks a bit of "feelgood" compared to the other months additionally as I add a percentage as a target on top of last years payments to get my goal for this years (and GSK holding their payments year after year) my October payment is always below target which is annoying on my portfolio tracker.

However with 25 years left of paying in before I start to draw anything out I know that these are just Psychological considerations and have no long term effect (Hence why although I have often thought about correcting it I never have done.) So far all of my new share additions I have managed to select on the important criteria, however if I ever couldn't decide between two shares (in the unlikely case that both shares had identical metrics that I use for selection) I would probably pick an October payer over another share (But I would never sacrifice Yield or my own safety criteria.)

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 4th, 2019, 11:06 am

Operating a HYP inside a SIPP wrapper presents an added complication a propos income tax. During retirement I plan to draw one payment into a "header tank" each March (ie. last month of the tax year), adjusted according to income from any other employment and the (higher rate) threshold of the day. Same goes for Lady M's SIPP (which is ITs, not HYP).

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 4th, 2019, 8:45 pm

I realise that this thread is kinda only there as a stocking filler and that as an HYPer in the building phase it is to me sausage equal (see the German idiom) when the dividends pile in. I imagine that during the sunny uplands of my financial independence a simple buffer, held wherever, will overcome this minor hurdle. In the meantime happy HYPing. C.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 5th, 2019, 3:46 pm

onthemove wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:I don't think anyone should place any prominence at all on dividend payment dates - after all, we've no control over them, and companies often change the dates and payout configurations themselves, so why should they seriously matter?

I'd say there are two arguments in favour of smoothing out dividend payments, if reasonable and possible..

Firstly...

There is an opportunity cost in holding cash

I'm aware that at the minute that I have rather a substantial portion of my portfolio in cash (unrelated to expenditure; completely down to where to invest it), and I keep reminding myself that as it is, I'm foregoing probably somewhere in the region of £300 per month in dividend income as a result. I really should get a bit more pro-active!

Take the extreme example, if all your shares paid out on the same day of the year, then you'd have to effectively hold your annual income as cash for (on average) 6 months.

But in practice, they don't all pay out on the same day of the year.

I've had a look at the monthly breakdown of the income from the taxable part of my main HYP for the last two completed tax years - I've chosen to do it on that part only because it's the dividend data I have most easily available. I should probably add that that part is most of my HYP and I'm only aware of one bias in terms of which shares I put into my ISAs and SIPP - a historical bias in favour of putting REITs into them, due to the Income Tax savings being higher. The 2008/9 financial crisis convinced me that that was a mistake: although property was hit less badly by it than banks, it persuaded me that I wanted to sector-diversify the dividend income more than I wanted to extract the last drops of tax savings on it. That lesson took a few years to sink in, but for over 5 years now I've been redressing the balance by directing dividend reinvestments and new subscription investments in the ISAs and SIPP away from REITs - but there's still some years to go before their high weighting in tax shelters is fully eroded away.

I should probably also add that the months I'm using here are what I might call 'tax months', running from the 6th of the month to the 5th of the following month. There's nothing essential about this - it's just to fit in cleanly with the records the data are being taken from are tax records and therefore organised by tax year. Similarly, I've only done it for the last two completed tax years because that avoids messing around with the old notional tax credits system.

So here are the figures:

Month      2016/2017  2017/2018
April 5.6% 5.5%
May 10.3% 9.7%
June 14.4% 12.5%
July 14.9% 13.6%
August 6.4% 7.6%
September 15.3% 15.5%
October 4.0% 4.3%
November 5.1% 10.4%
December 5.6% 4.4%
January 7.5% 8.6%
February 4.0% 0.7%
March 6.9% 7.2%

By the way, note that quite significant shifts do happen from year to year, often for quite trivial reasons. For example, BT's interim payout shifted back a day from February 6th, 2017 to February 5th, 2018, a type of shift that happens quite often because many companies stick to paying on the same day of the week each year to avoid running into weekends and bank holidays. But that shifted it from 'tax February' to 'tax January' for the purposes of my analysis, which was enough to cause a decrease in the February figure of 1.1% of the year's income and a corresponding increase in the January figure. That is of course dependent on my exact choice of where to place the month boundaries - but no matter where you place them, some dividends are likely to shift around because of mere 1- or 2-day shifts in the exact payment dates.

I'm not saying that all the changes have reasons that trivial - for instance, the rest of the February change is due to the merger of Standard Life and Aberdeen Asset Management (which paid in June and January/February) to form Standard Life Aberdeen (which pays in September/October and May). And the big increase in November is mainly due to top-ups and a new purchase happening to include quite a few November payers (I say "happening to" because I pay absolutely no attention to payment dates when selecting purchases myself).

Anyway, back to my main point: one can work out from those figures roughly how one can expect a buffer account to behave over the year. E.g. if one reckons on taking 1/12th = 8.3% income at the start of each month from it, and one uses the 2016/2017 figures, assuming a balance of S% of the yearly income at the start, it goes something like:

Date         Changes  Balance
5 April S
6 April -8.3% S-8.3%
5 May +5.6% S-2.7%
6 May -8.3% S-11.0%
5 June +10.3% S-0.7%
6 June -8.3% S-9.0%
5 July +14.4% S+5.4%
6 July -8.3% S-2.9%
5 August +14.9% S+12.0%
6 August -8.3% S+3.7%
5 September +6.4% S+10.1%
6 September -8.3% S+1.8%
5 October +15.3% S+17.1%
6 October -8.3% S+8.8%
5 November +4.0% S+12.8%
6 November -8.3% S+4.5%
5 December +5.1% S+9.6%
6 December -8.3% S+1.3%
5 January +5.6% S+6.9%
6 January -8.3% S-1.4%
5 February +7.5% S+6.1%
6 February -8.3% S-2.2%
5 March +4.0% S+1.8%
6 March -8.3% S-6.5%
5 April +6.9% S+0.4%

(The balance has increased by 0.4% of the year's income over the course of the year, but that's simply because 8.3% is slightly less than 1/12th - it's merely the best 1-decimal-place approximation to 1/12th, which is easily accurate enough for this purpose!)

One doesn't want the buffer account to go overdrawn, so one should make S be at least big enough to make all entries in the Balance column positive, i.e. at least 11.0% of a year's income. If one makes S=11.0%, then the balance varies between a low of 0% of a year's dividend income just after the May 6th payment is made to the current account, to a high of 27.1% of a year's dividend income just before the October 6th payment is made to it, from which one might estimate that the average balance over the year is about 13-14% of a year's dividend income. If one guesses that the lost returns from holding that much cash are around 8%, that's very roughly 1% of a year's dividend income lost per year - and if that were £300 per month, it would imply that one's annual dividend income were about 100 * 12 * £300 = £360k...

In reality, I wouldn't cut it that fine, and would make S a month or two's worth of dividend income greater than that - say 25.0% of annual dividend income - to allow for some variation of the payment schedule from year to year. That would result in the buffer account balance varying between about 14% and 42%, for an average cash balance of about 28% of annual dividend income. The income lost to keeping that cash balance would still only be around 2% of annual dividend income, so one would still need annual dividend income to be about £180k to be losing £300/month of income from it.

Also, as you've said, in reality one's expenditure won't be constant from month to month - but that's an issue faced by anyone who lives on a regular flow of income, such as that from a normal salary, so it's not really a HYP-specific problem. But predictable extra expenditure can easily be catered for with a buffer account - one can easily cater within the above framework for e.g. the normal monthly transfer of income to be 8% of the yearly total, but with an extra yearly payment in December of 4% of the yearly total to cater for Christmas. Unpredictable extra expenditure does however require the normal 'emergency fund' reserves that everyone needs, HYPer or not...

A more serious issue is that of dividend cuts. It will be quite normal to experience one or two a year from a reasonably large HYP, and usually the increases by the majority of the HYP's companies will make up for them, but they can come in bigger spates, either because of something like an economic recession or just pure bad luck. A moderately big spate of dividend cuts could fairly easily cost you 10-20% of a well-diversified HYP's annual dividend income (something like the 2008-2010 events could cost quite a bit more). That's far more serious than the above cost of a percent or two of annual dividend income - both because it's far bigger and because it's far less predictable and so cannot be properly planned for, but only dealt with by contingency plans. So basically, your planning should include ways of dealing with potential dividend cuts, and that planning ought to be able to cope with income shortfalls far bigger than the bit that goes missing because of holding (almost) unproductive cash!

And the supply of potential good payers for some periods of the year is very limited, because most companies have financial year ends that are December 31st, March 31st or dates reasonably close to those, and most companies making half-yearly payments with the final significantly bigger than the interim (those two combine to make late spring and summer the peak period for the amount of dividends received - which is the main reason why my HYP's payments have such a concentration in May-September compared with October-April). One can doubtless find a company or two that fit the bill of paying in almost any month you want, but it will be a lot more limited in some than in others - and if you take an even slightly higher risk of dividend cuts or accept an even slightly lower yield in order to get the month you want, it could easily cost you more than the bit that goes missing because of holding cash...

onthemove wrote:Secondly...

Well, actually it's if all shares declared their dividends at the same time, once per year, that you would be left with no real feedback, and even that assumes that you're not paying any attention to company news other than definitive information about dividend payments. But again, that extreme example simply doesn't happen in practice.

onthemove wrote:Finally...

If you've got a choice of two candidate investments, otherwise identical, but one pays out in a month where you've got a lull in payments, personally, I'd make the payment date the deciding factor between the two, for the above mentioned reasons.

I suppose that in theory, so would I. But I can think of plenty of other tiebreakers I would use in preference to it, and the chances that all of them would turn out not to break the tie are miniscule!

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”