Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Pickering time: new holding?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Pickering time: new holding?

Postby Arborbridge » March 19th, 2019, 3:55 pm

moorfield wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:In any case, take that idea to Nick Train and ask him why he has about double that number in his portfolios.

Nick Train has also said

What we do is much riskier than the average portfolio

https://portfolio-adviser.com/nick-trai ... portfolio/

So swings and roundabouts.

You're right - we should agree to disagree.

Precisely - it's riskier partly due to the small number of holdings compared with, say, CTY and others. He takes big bets. It's a conviction portfolio he runs and for that one needs to counter the risk by greater expertise. Conversely, as someone with less expertise, I'm happy to counterbalance with a greater number of holdings, thus cutting the effect of my inbuilt capacity for blundering.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 19th, 2019, 3:57 pm

MDW1954 wrote:Arb,

Your holdings in the IT sector amount to 0% of your HYP. Why not redress that with FTSE 100 Micro Focus, currently on a historic yield of 6%?

As for its merits, I refer you to our discussion of the company, several weeks ago.

MDW1954

Yes, I should take a look at that again - I didn't mention it this time as I had a feeling there was something I didn't like about Microfocus. Needs a second look, agreed.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 19th, 2019, 4:00 pm

moorfield wrote:And the half source is pyad himself, although what (if any) study he based his original advice of 15-20 holdings on I don't know - perhaps he'll elaborate further for you.

If you're going to tell us what other people's original advice was, please get it right! Pyad's original advice about the number of holdings can be found here, and it was "Whatever the money available, even very large sums, no more than about 15 shares are necessary to take strip out the excessive risk of too few shares."

Not saying I agree with that advice, by the way, just that untrue claims about what other people have advised don't clarify the discussion - they obfuscate it.

Gengulphus

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 19th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Gengulphus wrote: no more than about 15 shares are necessary

You are nitpicking again Gengulpus. I wrote 15-20, and pyad didn't write exactly 15 shares, did he ?

SDN123
2 Lemon pips

Postby SDN123 » March 19th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I am beginning to drift towards D S Smith for this particular new holding - but I will do some more deep pickering.

RIO I can leave for another day - or swap for a holding in one of my other broker accounts which has a disastrous natural resources IT within it which I need to ditch one day.

Kempiejon: Thanks for the point about the long wait for the next payout. I haven't yet checked XD dates at all.

Swapping out IMI for CNA might also work.

Arb.

If you need any group confirmation bias then I will add that D S Smith has been one of my best HYP shares, long history of increasing dividends and good share price growth (although gone back a bit at the moment - making it a bargain in my eyes). For what it’s worth I like the market sector. My only worry is that they seem to expand by acquisition, as far as I can tell so far so good but presumably they will get some wrong at some time.

Hope that helps,

SDN

MDS1951
Lemon Pip

Postby MDS1951 » March 19th, 2019, 10:02 pm

moorfield wrote:
I wrote 15-20, and pyad didn't write exactly 15 shares, did he ?

Further down in the same article Pyad wrote:-

If you look at blue chip shares, the trend is for them to increase their dividends. In a 10-15 share portfolio, even if one or two of the shares go through a bad patch and cut their dividends, it is pretty likely that the growth in the others would more than compensate for this.

So he certainly wasn't thinking of up to 20 shares for his HYP.

MDS1951

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » March 19th, 2019, 10:38 pm

The first Pyad HYP was exactly fifteen shares. It should be remembered that this was a demo portfolio to show how HYP worked over a series of articles on MF. Later Pyad suggested 15 to 20 shares would be suitable for a HYP.

Personally, I do not think we should get too hang up about the exact number of shares. However, I am still sometimes surprised by the very large of shares some people hold. It almost seems to be obessive share collecting for the sake of it, rather than serving a useful purpose.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 19th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:The first Pyad HYP was exactly fifteen shares. It should be remembered that this was a demo portfolio to show how HYP worked over a series of articles on MF. Later Pyad suggested 15 to 20 shares would be suitable for a HYP.

Personally, I do not think we should get too hang up about the exact number of shares. However, I am still sometimes surprised by the very large of shares some people hold. It almost seems to be obessive share collecting for the sake of it, rather than serving a useful purpose.

In my case the number of shares increased because of companies splitting off subsidiary companies, like the break up of Hanson, ICI spinning off IMI and Zeneca, Six Continents (Bass) splitting into Intercontinental Hotels and Mitchells & Butlers, and so on.

You think that you have enough holdings and find yourself with more through no action of your own. Most of them you wish to keep, but some like Indivior stop paying dividends and then Carillion disappears up its own fundamental orifice like the Oozlum Bird, so you don't have to keep them all.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 20th, 2019, 7:11 am

SDN123 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I am beginning to drift towards D S Smith for this particular new holding - but I will do some more deep pickering.

RIO I can leave for another day - or swap for a holding in one of my other broker accounts which has a disastrous natural resources IT within it which I need to ditch one day.

Kempiejon: Thanks for the point about the long wait for the next payout. I haven't yet checked XD dates at all.

Swapping out IMI for CNA might also work.

Arb.

If you need any group confirmation bias then I will add that D S Smith has been one of my best HYP shares, long history of increasing dividends and good share price growth (although gone back a bit at the moment - making it a bargain in my eyes). For what it’s worth I like the market sector. My only worry is that they seem to expand by acquisition, as far as I can tell so far so good but presumably they will get some wrong at some time.

Hope that helps,

SDN

If you need any group confirmation bias :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 20th, 2019, 7:22 am

I notice DS Smith rose over 2% yesterday. Did the market get a sniff that I was thinking of putting my millions in?? :o

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » March 20th, 2019, 8:03 am

Arborbridge wrote:I notice DS Smith rose over 2% yesterday. Did the market get a sniff that I was thinking of putting my millions in?? :o

That'll be the Lemon fool collective front running you :mrgreen:

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 20th, 2019, 10:10 am

I couldn't help noticing several views on the appropriate number of shares to hold being expressed in this thread.

Quoting Pyad's "15 shares" (or thereabouts) is OK, but the context of his 15 was a "buy it all at once" portfolio, where increasing the number of shares was a trade-off against the quality of the companies selected. That selection criteria is not relevant in a portfolio constructed over time.

If adding new money to an existing portfolio, assessing the universe of shares (from whichever universe you have chosen - e.g. FTSE 100 etc) and ranking them in "most attractive" to "least attractive" by whatever criteria, then, starting from the top, disqualifying any that break your portfolio rules should you buy them (e.g. maximum holding, maximum sector holding etc) may leave you with a new, or an existing share, as the top purchase candidate.

If you've already eliminated companies you don't hold from the selection criteria, you have denied the possibility of a new candidate being the best share for your portfolio at this point in time. Why would anyone do that?

If my existing holdings are always providing the candidate for new money, that's fine, but to avoid a "best candidate" new share that meets all of my filter requirements, and to deliberately go and buy a worse candidate merely because I already own it just feels crazy.

As to "new candidates" for the OP: I'd follow your selection methodology and pick the beastie that comes out top after the usual filtering. :)

VRD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2019, 11:35 am

It does not matter in the least what pyad did or did not say. Anybody constructing or maintaining a HYP must hold the number of shares he feels comfortable with. Around the 20 mark is about right for me. Arb clearly feels a lot more is required and that is fine too, but I take my 20 and watch them carefully. More than around that number and I think you increase the chance of finding a Carillion or at least a Centrica, but that is just me. One day I might be caught because Unilever goes bust!

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 20th, 2019, 11:37 am

vrdiver wrote:
If adding new money to an existing portfolio, assessing the universe of shares (from whichever universe you have chosen - e.g. FTSE 100 etc) and ranking them in "most attractive" to "least attractive" by whatever criteria, then, starting from the top, disqualifying any that break your portfolio rules should you buy them (e.g. maximum holding, maximum sector holding etc) may leave you with a new, or an existing share, as the top purchase candidate.

If you've already eliminated companies you don't hold from the selection criteria, you have denied the possibility of a new candidate being the best share for your portfolio at this point in time. Why would anyone do that?

If my existing holdings are always providing the candidate for new money, that's fine, but to avoid a "best candidate" new share that meets all of my filter requirements, and to deliberately go and buy a worse candidate merely because I already own it just feels crazy.

VRD

Well, there is a dose of logic which I like the look of. The only factor some might add is that of more shares being a "burden" to look after - but that doesn't affect everyone. On that score, I'd rather have fewer shares, but I'm not bothered about adding a few extra.

--00--

Which reminds me that some ideas came up, such as Phoenix being a better choice than SLA, or dumping CNA for IMI. Rotating out from one share into another (if that was the implied action) is something to do cautiously. It seems to me we are almost proving Pyad's case in that over time I have sold off various failures to buy the latest - apparently better - choice. Only in about half of those cases was the replacement better after five years.
PHNX and IMI may well be better choices for now but it hints at a horrible pattern of taking on board shares and dumping them some years later. After all, Standard was a great choice at the time (that's how I came to own SLA) and Centrica was one of the most commonly owned shares in the market as was Lloyds bank- almost essential! Tesco was a stalwart income payer, Pearson was well known for its soberly covered dividend, utilities were de rigeur for income portfolios and Interserve was the bee's knees to some.
One can see the pattern - yesterday's favourites fade into today's failures. Maybe letting them recover and seeing what evolves as Pyad suggests is better than chopping and changing after all.

Having said that I have no doubt I shall continue my "slow tinkering" activities as and when I see opportunities to flush out the duds.

Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 20th, 2019, 2:03 pm

To give my own views on the number-of-holdings question: it's really a bit of a red herring in my view. To see why, imagine a 101-holding portfolio - which I think many people around here would classify as over-diversified. Now imagine that 90% of the portfolio is in one of the holdings and 0.1% in each of the other hundred holdings - still think it's over-diversified?

For me, the crucial tests are what the biggest holding is, what the biggest combined holding in a sector is, and what the biggest combined holding in a group of strong-related sectors is (*). That hypothetical portfolio is hopelessly under-diversified as far as I'm concerned because its biggest holding makes up 90% of it: no matter how the other 10% of the portfolio is split among holdings, the portfolio's performance is going to be dominated by the 90% holding, rendering it seriously vulnerable to any trouble that company gets itself into. I.e. basically, it will behave in a way much more akin to a single-holding portfolio than to a normal 100-holding portfolio.

So I would judge the company diversification of Arb's portfolio by its 3.91% maximum weighting, not by the fact that it has 37 holdings. 3.91% is about the weighting of a share in a 26-holding equally-weighted portfolio, so I'd think of it as having something more akin to 26-holding diversification than 37-share diversification. Thinking of things that way does mean that portfolios are somewhat more diversified than one calculates (the 90%-in-one-holding example above is a bit more diversified than a single-holding portfolio, but only a bit). But under-estimating one's portfolio's effective diversification in that way is a safer mistake to make than over-estimating it in the way that just counting the number of holdings does.

Though to be precise, I'd prefer to judge it primarily by income weightings rather than capital weightings - but Arb's table doesn't give either those weightings or the share yields: I could look up the yields and deduce the income weightings from them and the capital weightings, but that's a bit more work than I want to put into this post, so I'll pass on it!

As regards whether 15 or so shares are enough, I have no real reason to doubt the validity of the academic studies that say it is - but I do have reasons to doubt their applicability as far as most HYPers are concerned. I've three main reasons for doubting that:

* HYPs are LTB&H portfolios - just how long-term varies from never 'tinkering' (= selling voluntarily) to a fairly low level of doing so. The academic studies generally study "select a portfolio; buy it with equal weights; hold for a year; repeat" strategies - and while the new portfolio selected each year could be similar enough to the previous year's for the strategy to end up qualifying as a HYP strategy (i.e. not to require much buying and selling), I suspect it generally doesn't. (A subsidiary reason associated with this is the trading costs associated with that buying and selling: the more buying and selling a strategy does, the more performance it loses to them - especially to percentage-based ones like stamp duty.) The longer a strategy tends to hold on to shares, the more weighting imbalances tend to build up - so to achieve the same maximum weighting, one tends to require more holdings.

* HYP strategies are income-oriented strategies, and while not all HYPers regard actually receiving it as dividend income among their objectives, some do (that's a fact: one can reasonably hold opinions about whether it should be one of their objectives, but whether it is is a fact determined by the HYPer, not by anyone else's opinion), while the academic studies generally just look at total returns. The dividend income risks of HYP companies have clearly different statistics to their total-return risks - for instance, the dividend income produced by a HYP company drops to zero far more often (though fortunately usually much less permanently!) than its capital value. And the degree of diversification needed to make a portfolio reasonably safe does depend on those statistics - e.g. a 1-holding portfolio of gilts is very safe, a 15-holding portfolio of start-up company shares is very risky. So at least for those HYPers who care about their HYPs' dividend incomes, it's not clear that the academic studies' figures of around 15 holdings being a level of diversification that one is unlikely to significantly improve upon are fully applicable.

* HYP strategies are a general class of strategies, whose boundaries are rather 'fuzzy', and any particular HYPer's HYP strategy will typically use a variety of dividend safety checks. The entire collection of dividend safety checks used by HYPers is quite large and almost certainly, whatever particular dividend safety check one choose, one will find that quite a few HYPers don't use it. (And in some cases, don't even understand it well enough to be able to use it - for instance, no matter how much someone insists that 'culture' is an essential check, I simply don't know what it is and so cannot apply it.) The academic studies generally choose a few precisely-defined strategies to study and compare, and it's fairly unlikely that one's own HYP strategy will be a very good match to any of them. One hopes of course that the differences between one's own strategy and the strategy studied academically are small and/or in one's favour, but one has to face the risk that one is inadvertently making one's strategy riskier and in need of a greater degree of diversification.

Together, those suggest to me that it is prudent to go for a somewhat higher degree of diversification than the 15 holdings indicated by the academic studies. Not hugely more, but effective diversification of 20-25 holdings seems to me like a reasonable allowance to make for the possibility that a HYP strategy will want somewhat higher diversification - with (as indicated above) "effective" meaning that that actually means a maximum holding weighting of about 4-5%.

Similar considerations apply to sectors and to groups of related sectors for me, though with larger maximum percentages to reflect the fact that fewer of them are available and so higher percentage weightings basically have to be accepted. I've generally used 10% and 20% maximum weightings respectively in the past, as easy-to-remember round figures, though I have been shading the 20% maximum for groups of related companies downwards recently, mainly (but not only) because of becoming a bit uncomfortable about the political risk of my "utilities" group. It's now at 18%.

I haven't done a full analysis of Arb's HYP from the sector or group perspective. But a quick look at IanTHughes's table earlier in the thread says that I would be very uncomfortable about the 28.01% weighting of my "financials" group (which includes all the companies he has listed as being in the Financials industry), and within it, mildly uncomfortable about the 10.71% weighting of the Life Insurance sector. I wouldn't be even mildly uncomfortable about the 20.47% weighting of the Consumer Goods industry, because I don't regard Persimmon as having anything much in common with the other companies Arb owns that the ICB classification includes in that industry. Without its 2.54% weighting, the weighting of the industry is 17.93%, so within my limit even if I regarded it as one of my groups (which I don't currently).

(*) Note I do not use the ICB classification as anything more than a starting point - I'll happily modify aspects of it when they don't make sense to me. And my "groups of strongly-related sectors" are a long way from being ICB "supersectors" or "industries": in particular, many sectors aren't in any such group for me, and it's possible at least in principle for a sector to be in more than one such group, though that doesn't happen for any of the groups I currently see good reason to track.

Gengulphus
Last edited by Gengulphus on March 20th, 2019, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 20th, 2019, 2:09 pm

moorfield wrote:You are nitpicking again Gengulpus. I wrote 15-20, and pyad didn't write exactly 15 shares, did he ?

I regard being nitpicky as an entirely appropriate response to people who in order to claim 'support' for their own views, post distorted versions of what others have said.

Gengulphus

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 20th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Gengulphus wrote:...those suggest to me that it is prudent to go for a somewhat higher degree of diversification than the 15 holdings indicated by the academic studies. Not hugely more, but effective diversification of 20-25 holdings seems to me like a reasonable allowance to make for the possibility that a HYP strategy will want somewhat higher diversification - with (as indicated above) "effective" meaning that that actually means a maximum holding weighting of about 4-5%.

Agreed, as a minimum target of shares to aim for (whether buying in one go or accumulating over time) but would add that, having achieved the diversification safety that such an array provides, there is no reason to limit future purchases to those already held, as per my post above.

VRD

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 20th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Gengulphus wrote:...Together, those suggest to me that it is prudent to go for a somewhat higher degree of diversification than the 15 holdings indicated by the academic studies. Not hugely more, but effective diversification of 20-25 holdings seems to me like a reasonable allowance to make for the possibility that a HYP strategy will want somewhat higher diversification - with (as indicated above) "effective" meaning that that actually means a maximum holding weighting of about 4-5%...

I'm not in the building phase now, but when I was diversity was high on my selection criteria when choosing a new candidate. For 15 shares that's not difficult to achieve, for 20 a little harder. Much beyond that it rapidly became difficult. As I said in 2011...
...At 24 shares, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find new candidates for my HYP. My screeners are now throwing up my existing holdings, or their clones (SBRY for my TSCO, for example).

I ground to a halt at 28 and turned to topping up existing holdings, others have chosen to double-up in sectors to get round this problem.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 20th, 2019, 2:34 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:...those suggest to me that it is prudent to go for a somewhat higher degree of diversification than the 15 holdings indicated by the academic studies. Not hugely more, but effective diversification of 20-25 holdings seems to me like a reasonable allowance to make for the possibility that a HYP strategy will want somewhat higher diversification - with (as indicated above) "effective" meaning that that actually means a maximum holding weighting of about 4-5%.

Agreed, as a minimum target of shares to aim for (whether buying in one go or accumulating over time) but would add that, having achieved the diversification safety that such an array provides, there is no reason to limit future purchases to those already held, as per my post above.

Yes - a maximum weighting in a portfolio does imply a minimum number of holdings, but not a maximum number of holdings. E.g. a 5% maximum weighting for holdings implies at least 100%/5% = 20 holdings, but it could be more, even many more. (And in practice, it generally is at least somewhat more because weightings have a pesky habit of fluctuating!)

One thing I didn't say is that with a maximum weighting, one has to allow some leeway about it - especially during the early stages of growing a portfolio from scratch: it's impossible for instance for a 1-holding portfolio to have a weighting of anything other than 100% for that one holding, and every portfolio goes through a 1-holding stage, if only for a matter of a few seconds or minutes between its first and second purchases. (That's not counting cash as a portfolio holding - but if one wants to count it as one, it instead goes through a 100%-in-one-holding stage between the initial cash deposit and the first purchase.)

Gengulphus

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 20th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
moorfield wrote:You are nitpicking again Gengulpus. I wrote 15-20, and pyad didn't write exactly 15 shares, did he ?

I regard being nitpicky as an entirely appropriate response to people who in order to claim 'support' for their own views, post distorted versions of what others have said.

Gengulphus

No Gengulphud - I wasn't seeking to claim 'support' for my views at all, if that's what your post was implying. I was answering Arb's question which he rightly picked me up on (viz. "bloated"). That I've misquoted pyad slightly is beside the point. I was qualifying that answer. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over what otheres think of my own views, I know waht works for me, and your nitpicking in this case is lost on me I'm afraid.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”