Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

A heads-up for users of the ICB classification

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

A heads-up for users of the ICB classification

Postby Gengulphus » March 20th, 2019, 3:03 pm

The Industry Classification Benchmark (ICB) is being changed from July 1st, 2019 - see the stuff available under "ICB Structure and Code Changes – July 1, 2019" at the bottom of https://www.ftserussell.com/financial-d ... chmark-icb .

I came across this in the course of writing another post. I don't follow the ICB classification at all closely myself, preferring to use it only as suggestions for my own sector system, but I'm aware that quite a few around here do. So I'm posting this as a heads-up to those who do follow it closely: you are liable to find your industries, supersectors, sectors and/or subsectors changed under your feet (or alternatively to decide that you'll continue using the old classification and deal with the fact that data providers will no longer do so).

I have also taken a brief look to see how wide-ranging the changes are. The answer is that they do change quite a bit - e.g. they only leave six of the 10 ICB 'industries' unchanged. Of the other four:

* "Financials" gets split into "Financials" and "Real Estate".

* "Consumer Goods" and "Consumer Services" get reorganised into "Consumer Staples" and "Consumer Discretionary".

* "OIl & Gas" gets renamed as "Energy".

The last may just be recognition of the fact that renewable energy had been put into the industry at an earlier stage, or there may be a bit of reorganisation involved as well - I haven't investigated in enough detail to work that out. And more generally, there could be any amount of reorganisation down at the 'supersector', 'sector' and 'subsector' levels that I haven't looked at.

Gengulphus

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: A heads-up for users of the ICB classification

Postby Raptor » March 20th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Kiloran and itsallaguess have been pre-warned so we can expect HYPTUSS to be updated. I like the idea of a Marijuana Producers.......

Like Gengulphus I have modified my own sectors in some circumstances.

Here is a link that Bree provided for the list.

Raptor.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Raptor wrote: I like the idea of a Marijuana Producers.......

Strictly for "Health Care" purposes mind, and not for smoking, otherwise it would have been listed under "Consumer Staples" perhaps! ;) .

One not changed I see is the "Gas, Water & Multiutilities" sector which has always seemed anomalous to me - think CNA and UU. which are listed in this sector but clearly very different businesses.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » March 21st, 2019, 2:26 pm

Raptor wrote:I like the idea of a Marijuana Producers.......

Raptor.

Absolutely spliffing idea!

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”