Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Stephen Bland - New HYP Portfolio @ Stockopedia

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Stephen Bland - New HYP Portfolio @ Stockopedia

Postby Dod101 » March 26th, 2019, 7:47 am

IanTHughes wrote: So I ask again, why provocative?

In the sense that at least some of the selections are in the opinion of some of us here not very good. Vodafone, SLA and Aviva to name but three, so you come along with a direct contradiction without any attempt to justify your comment (although you have subsequently done so in your reply to Alaric). No matter, time will tell.

Capital does matter in the longer run at least and it is true that the great sacrifice of capital that we have seen over the last few years in favour of income is not a sustainable one over the longer term, and certainly not if one is building a HYP. That is not what pyad is about of course, but his selection so far is uninspiring and not very good in my book.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 26th, 2019, 8:57 am

ITH

I am not going to be provoked but since I joined TMF (maybe around 2010 or so) I have perfectly well understood the HYP philosophy, and I do not think this is the place to be discussing the pros and cons of that. You also know my views on a number of the recent selections by pyad. I have neither the time nor inclination to comment yet again on them. What he chooses or not is neither here nor there. I am unlikely to be influenced as on present showing I doubt that he will be producing any hidden gems.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 26th, 2019, 9:15 am

Dod101 wrote:ITH

I am unlikely to be influenced as on present showing I doubt that he will be producing any hidden gems.

Dod

To be fair, I don't think HYP is about producing hidden gems 8-) The HYP pond is populated by the biggest companies which will hardly likely to be hidden.

Arb.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 26th, 2019, 9:21 am

Moderator Message:

I have just deleted a few posts in response to alerts (and can see some more I am about to have to delete). Two points please:

1. This is the HYP-P board. It is what it says on the tin. Therefore do not engage in deliberate trolling of those who wish to engage in the HYP-P discourse. If you do this then you will be required to sit on the sidelines of all the boards for a while. There are repeat offenders in this respect, and they cause a lot of Moderation grief because of point 2 below. A wholly unnecessary and deliberate provocation with this in mind is tiresome for Moderators. If you wish to critique the HYP-P investment strategy then by all means do so, but do so in the right place (here : viewforum.php?f=31)

2. Do not respond to trolling. You are all old enough and wise enough to know it when you see it. Simply hit alert and move on. If you engage in a response you become part of the problem and all that happens is your words will be wasted and thrown in the bin when a Mod hits the delete button.

3. And some of you keep on reposting in pursuit of the troll. Please do not do it. And (hopefully) lastly, that is quite enough retrospective alerts from you all - I am not keen to engage in a policy of Modding by carpet bombing all of the posts some of you disagree with.

Thank you all, it is a fantastic Spring day outside. regards, dspp

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 26th, 2019, 9:47 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:ITH

I am unlikely to be influenced as on present showing I doubt that he will be producing any hidden gems.

Dod

To be fair, I don't think HYP is about producing hidden gems 8-) The HYP pond is populated by the biggest companies which will hardly likely to be hidden.

Fair enough Arb. It would be nice though if someone did find one or two, other than the usual suspects.

Dod

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » March 26th, 2019, 10:58 am

I’m really enjoying Stephen Bland building a new HYP. For me it is interesting to see what he is choosing from each sector and compare it with what I hold. I have to say that I am struggling (and failing) to keep a balanced portfolio. I seem to have a natural bias to sectors that are out of favour and I find it difficult to find suitable shares in unrepresented sectors.

For telecoms (I have BT, Vodaphone and TalkTalk) it is interesting to see Stephen choosing Vodaphone. As far as I can see there is a choice between Vodaphone on 9% yield and BT on a 6.7% yield. Personally, I like both but it seems perfectly reasonable to choose Vodaphone first.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » March 26th, 2019, 11:09 am

blobby wrote:I’m really enjoying Stephen Bland building a new HYP. For me it is interesting to see what he is choosing from each sector and compare it with what I hold. I have to say that I am struggling (and failing) to keep a balanced portfolio. I seem to have a natural bias to sectors that are out of favour and I find it difficult to find suitable shares in unrepresented sectors.

I am not sure you are not but please do bear in mind that that the HYP Strategy does not mandate that every sector must be included. Sectors do go in and out of favour with the market and therefore in and out of the High Yield that HYP seeks. As long as the portfolio is sufficiently diversified - 15+ holdings from 13/14+ sectors - it should be fine

blobby wrote:For telecoms (I have BT, Vodaphone and TalkTalk) it is interesting to see Stephen choosing Vodaphone. As far as I can see there is a choice between Vodaphone on 9% yield and BT on a 6.7% yield. Personally, I like both but it seems perfectly reasonable to choose Vodaphone first.

With its healthy Free Cash Flow, Vodafone (VOD) definitely makes the grade in my book.

Ian

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 26th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:To be fair, I don't think HYP is about producing hidden gems 8-) The HYP pond is populated by the biggest companies which will hardly likely to be hidden.

Fair enough Arb. It would be nice though if someone did find one or two, other than the usual suspects.

They do - examples are Davidsb's ~2007 selection of Jardine Lloyd Thompson, my own 2003 selection of Halma that I mentioned in the same thread, and pyad's 2008 selection of Persimmon. Persimmon might be regarded as a 'usual suspect' now, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't in 2008 - and given that it cancelled its final for 2008 and skipped paying entirely for 2009, only resuming with its 2010 final, it certainly didn't behave like a 'usual suspect'! As far as I know, the other two have never been 'usual suspects'.

Of course, those examples are all from a long time ago, at least a decade. So one might suspect that hidden HYP gems have ceased to exist - but equally, one might suspect that hidden gems take a long time to emerge into the light. So we'll probably only be able to answer the question of whether hidden gems have currently ceased to exist or are simply remaining determinedly hidden in about 2030...

Gengulphus

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 26th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Centrica (CNA) is the hidden gem hiding in plain sight, perhaps?

Top of the Pops at 10.2% yield today, 5.1% factoring a hypothetical 50% dividend cut next year.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 26th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I was idly poking around morningstar, thinking of cash flow, and came across something which demonstrates why I get confused by accounting matters. In know Dod likes LGEN and dislikes Aviva and I happened across the cash flow for each which mystified me.

LGEN cash flow went from 74.01p a share in 2017 to -6.06p in 2018. Boom - just like that! Dividend is uncovered by cash but covered by eps. So should we panic sell this share? Well, I guess not and I assume that there must be a raional explanation to soothe ones fears in the full accounts. On the other hand, accounts are written by professional obfuscators with a pechant for soothe investors worries - even while disguising great cracks.

Aviva cash flow is very good - about 7x or more the dividend at 189p.

These are numbers just lifted from the morningstar page - whether they are true or not I don't know, but what I do know is that I can check loads of ratios or numbers and find they don't really tell me that one share is "thumbs up" and another "thumbs down". They just go round in and out of a revolving door.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 26th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I was idly poking around morningstar, thinking of cash flow, and came across something which demonstrates why I get confused by accounting matters. In know Dod likes LGEN and dislikes Aviva and I happened across the cash flow for each which mystified me.

LGEN cash flow went from 74.01p a share in 2017 to -6.06p in 2018. Boom - just like that! Dividend is uncovered by cash but covered by eps. So should we panic sell this share? Well, I guess not and I assume that there must be a raional explanation to soothe ones fears in the full accounts. On the other hand, accounts are written by professional obfuscators with a pechant for soothe investors worries - even while disguising great cracks.

Aviva cash flow is very good - about 7x or more the dividend at 189p.

These are numbers just lifted from the morningstar page - whether they are true or not I don't know, but what I do know is that I can check loads of ratios or numbers and find they don't really tell me that one share is "thumbs up" and another "thumbs down". They just go round in and out of a revolving door.

Arb.

Nevermind the revenue figure for 2018....there is something seriously adrift there in the MS data.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 26th, 2019, 6:08 pm

monabri wrote:Nevermind the revenue figure for 2018....there is something seriously adrift there in the MS data.

Indeed - but if morningstar gets something that wrong, what chance do I stand?

Investorease have similar figures, but sharecast has revenue for 2017 £7932m abd 2018 £13253m.

Not even explainable by a decimal point error as the numbers are quite different.

Arb.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » March 26th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Is Stephen Bland new to Stockopedia, or has he been writing for them for a while and it is just this series that is new?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 26th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Wizard wrote:Is Stephen Bland new to Stockopedia, or has he been writing for them for a while and it is just this series that is new?

His first article for Stockpedia was in October 2013.

https://www.stockopedia.com/content/int ... lio-78349/

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 27th, 2019, 9:28 am

Arborbridge wrote:Indeed - but if morningstar gets something that wrong, what chance do I stand?

On the general principle, I reckon quite a good chance: yes, you're only one person compared with a good-sized organisation and only have very limited resources compared with theirs, but you can focus on the one company you're interested in while they have to spread their efforts across thousands of companies. Furthermore, you can focus on the specific questions that you're interested in, while they have to provide answers to a much wider collection of questions, and the manpower they put into the job almost certainly isn't top-class analysts - they're much too expensive and sought-after. It may well not be much more skilled than the minimum needed to find a 'tick list' set of numbers in annual reports and enter them into the computer, which then calculates various derived numbers from a set of formulae...

But more specifically, I also reckon that insurance company accounts are particularly hard to get to grips with, and I've basically given up trying. That doesn't mean that I've given up on owning insurance companies - they're too major a sector IMHO for that - but it does mean that I tend to judge them by what comes out of them (in the direction of shareholders, that is!) rather than by trying to delve into what's going on inside them. And of the two you've mentioned, Legal & General wins hands-down on that count: their dividend history isn't perfect, but it's shown good growth for the last 20-odd years, apart from cutting between 2007 and 2009 (as a cut to the 2008 final, then the 2009 interim, which I count as a single cut, just implemented in two stages because the company pays twice-yearly). That cut was quite deep at about 50%, but that was one of the better financial company outcomes of the financial crisis, especially as they then recovered from it quickly, exceeding the 2007 peak in 2011... In contrast, Aviva's dividend history (click the "All" button just above the chart) is very uninspiring, with two cuts between 2008 and 2013 and still not having exceeded the 2008 peak (*).

In short, it seems clear to me that Legal & General knows how to do something right that Aviva doesn't. I could speculate about what that something is, but such speculation is pointless unless it gives useful clues about how to get a better idea whether it's right or not. And at least for me, trying to hack my way through the jungle of insurance company accounts would take too much time and effort to qualify as practical - so I'll content myself with merely noticing that whatever the something is, it does seem to really exist.

By the way, I do have both companies in my HYP, and plan to keep both of them. But if push came to shove and I had to choose one or the other, it would be Aviva that went.

(*) As even more of an aside than footnotes usually are, it's also shorter, but I don't regard that as especially significant: the difference between 15 and 21 years of history is fairly minor, and Aviva does have a history before 2004 - in fact, more than one, because it's the result of a merger. That always complicates looking at dividend histories, as I recently posted about Standard Life Aberdeen:

Gengulphus wrote:... E.g. if you look at Standard Life Aberdeen's 2017 annual report, it says the dividend was 21.30p, up 7.5% from Standard Life's 2016 dividend of 19.82p. And that's an accurate assessment from the point of view of a HYPer who originally owned Standard Life - and the company's 5-year dividend history for 2013-2017 is 15.80p, 17.03p, 18.36p, 19.82p, 21.30p, and 2018 has since added 21.60p to that, but that's been announced recently enough that either the 2013-2017 history or the 2014-2018 history might have been used by someone who looked at the company's 5-year record recently. A nice increasing record in either case.

On the other hand, from the point of view of a HYPer who originally owned Aberdeen Asset Management, there was an effective 1-becomes-0.757 share consolidation involved in the merger, so each SLA share they have now results from 1/0.757 = about 1.321 ADN shares before the merger. Multiplying by that factor of about 1.321 and rounding, Aberdeen Asset Management's 16.0p, 18.0p, 19.5p, 19.5p dividend record for 2013-2016 becomes 21.14p, 23.78p, 25.76p, 25.76p, making 21.30p for 2017 and 21.60p for 2018 a distinct cut to their dividend income ...

Gengulphus

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » March 28th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Moderator Message:
RS: This post was reported by Stephen Bland with the following comments please respect copyright of others.
My writing on Stockopedia is copyright and that site is registration and subscription based. Consequently to reproduce complete messages of mine from there in this way, enabling readers here to see everything I've written without registering or subscribing to Stockopedia, represents a breach of that copyright and a potential loss of revenue to Stockopedia.

Whilst I don't of course object to a link to my work on Stockopedia, I do object to my complete writing to be reproduced here.

The offending quotes have been deleted

*** FOR INFO : the person who made the error re copyright has sincerely apologised & assured us it will not happen again. ***

https://www.stockopedia.com/content/how ... /#comments

The portfolio so far
No. | Epic | Business     | Price | Forecast Yield
1 | SLA | Fund Manager | 271 | 8.00%
2 | VOD | Telecom | 148 | 8.70%
3 | IMB | Tobacco | 2,624 | 8.90%
4 | BHP | Mining | 1,779 | 8.90%
5 | AV | Insurance | 410 | 8.00%
6 | ITV | Television | 128 | 6.30%
7 | HSBA | Bank | 615 | 6.30%
8*| BP | Oil | 553 | 5.70%
9*| RDSB | Oil | 2,406 | 6.00%

* These shares are multiple choice in the same sector

Still looking good to me

Ian

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 28th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Still no mention of the High Yield Elephants in the Room.

As Stephen writes:
My policy of Strategic Ignorance precludes any long term forecasting, ie. more than a year or two ahead. After that nobody knows and I don't believe anyone who thinks they do.

So I think I will have to sign up to Stockopedia over the weekend to ask the question there.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 29th, 2019, 6:40 am

moorfield wrote:Still no mention of the High Yield Elephants in the Room.

As Stephen writes:
My policy of Strategic Ignorance precludes any long term forecasting, ie. more than a year or two ahead. After that nobody knows and I don't believe anyone who thinks they do.

So I think I will have to sign up to Stockopedia over the weekend to ask the question there.

What do you mean by the High Yield Elephants in the Room?

Has SB changed his definition of SI? He is now prepared to look a year or two ahead. I would agree strangely enough, except that I would not call that inability to look much further ahead Strategic Ignorance which suggests a wilful ignorance whereas I would say 'I would if I could'.

Latest selections look fine

Dod

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 29th, 2019, 8:27 am

Dod101 wrote:What do you mean by the High Yield Elephants in the Room?

The two big grey ones in the corner, with wrinkly skin and big pointy teeth things. See you over on Stockpedia. ;)

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » March 29th, 2019, 8:46 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Indeed - but if morningstar gets something that wrong, what chance do I stand?

Arb.

Is that a light bulb moment?

In any event anyone who believes the numbers in Reports and Accounts is living in a fantasy world. How many accounting scandals do we get every year? And how many happen that are either hushed up or never discovered.

There is only one number you can rely on in the accounts and that is the dividend because you get physical confirmation.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”