Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Royal Mail Group (RMG)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Royal Mail Group (RMG)

Postby Dod101 » April 8th, 2019, 11:20 am

Arborbridge wrote:We are getting down to aethos or smell here - the "Dod Test". It's valid enough in the way you've put it. Unfortunately for me, my sense of smell isn't too good!

I see Arb, you use the word aethos from time to time but I cannot find it in my dictionary. I would use ethos or preferably culture. have you made up the word? Apols if this is off topic, but it is important that we know!

Dod

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » April 8th, 2019, 11:26 am

Arborbridge wrote:
blobby wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:A reason why you want to reject it, perhaps, but hardly a universal business reason for anyone else to do so, in my view.

I suspect that DiamondEcho may have been making the point that RMG is not widely respected as a company. I can think of a few companies which may be like this. For example if a house builder or a rail operator is not respected then that increases the risk for shareholders as they may be hit with a fine or forced to pay money back to customers. So I welcome the point being made, although I don't share the opinion this time.

We are getting down to aethos or smell here - the "Dod Test". It's valid enough in the way you've put it. Unfortunately for me, my sense of smell isn't too good!

Not even for the overpowering smell of cow's excrement being posted on this board?
:D :D :D

Ian

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 8th, 2019, 12:26 pm

High yield, barely covered, and high p/e in this climate give off enough of a whiff to put me off adding. I was actually thinking of calling it a day and selling my holding at a loss but maybe I'll wait and see if those earnings forecasts are correct, though I don't see where they would be coming from. I receive very little post and hardly post anything myself these days. The cost of delivering these reduced amounts must be just the same as bigger postbags but the revenue must be much reduced. I can't think what possessed me to take up the IPO in the first place. A crafty bit of buck passing by the government.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 8th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:We are getting down to aethos or smell here - the "Dod Test". It's valid enough in the way you've put it. Unfortunately for me, my sense of smell isn't too good!

I see Arb, you use the word aethos from time to time but I cannot find it in my dictionary. I would use ethos or preferably culture. have you made up the word? Apols if this is off topic, but it is important that we know!

Dod

My apols: it seems I'm spelling ethos wrongly. I've always thought it was aethos with a dipthong: æ

Henceforward, I shall use ethos. My spelling is either terrifbly old fashioned or just plain wrong!
Arb.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 8th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
My apols: it seems I'm spelling ethos wrongly. I've always thought it was aethos with a dipthong: æ

Henceforward, I shall use ethos. My spelling is either terrifbly old fashioned or just plain wrong!
Arb.

I just assumed you were a Greek scholar :)

RC

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 8th, 2019, 5:29 pm

The cover is slim (not as slim as VOD!) - but even worse, is that it has gradually been dropping from around 2x nearer the beginning of its life to 1.07 in 2018. That tells us something isn't quite right. However, the cash flow looks good and Net gearing has come down, so we have contrary signals. Perhaps the accounting gurus can explain what is going on.

Arb.

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » April 9th, 2019, 7:49 am

I missed this as a reason against investing. On the plus side it shows the company appointing a CEO from outside.

Invitation to Meet with Royal Mail, April 8th 15.30pm

Following the Royal Mail’s AGM in 2018, at which 70% of shareholders rejected the Director’s Remuneration Report, the Royal Mail are embarking on a series of consultative meetings with major shareholders and shareholders’ representatives to discuss their concerns.

https://www.sharesoc.org/blog/remunerat ... h-15-30pm/

I always thought that being a Chief Executive and being paid millions was a 24/7 job. I am amazed the Royal Mail could not recruit somebody from the millions of people who live in the UK.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 9th, 2019, 9:07 am

This link is also worth a read:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rland.html

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”