Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Galliford Try ( GFRD) profit warning

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Galliford Try ( GFRD) profit warning

Postby Arborbridge » April 23rd, 2019, 5:32 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:Of course they are a contractor. That is why I corrected the "matter of fact" assertion that they are not a contractor. ...

I think you mean the "matter of fact" suggestion rather than assertion, because as a matter of fact, the only "matter of fact" assertion in this thread at the time was "As a matter of fact, Galliford Try (GFRD) is a Construction and House Building Company.". That assertion might fairly easily be read as contradicting the remark it was made in reply to that Galliford Try is a contractor, but doesn't actually do so: a company can easily contract to do a piece of construction work, and thus be both a contractor and a construction company with regard to that part of its business...

Gengulphus

As a matter of fact.... I quite enjoyed reading that :)

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » April 23rd, 2019, 8:32 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:Of course they are a contractor. That is why I corrected the "matter of fact" assertion that they are not a contractor. ...

I think you mean the "matter of fact" suggestion rather than assertion, because as a matter of fact, the only "matter of fact" assertion in this thread at the time was "As a matter of fact, Galliford Try (GFRD) is a Construction and House Building Company.". That assertion might fairly easily be read as contradicting the remark it was made in reply to that Galliford Try is a contractor, but doesn't actually do so: a company can easily contract to do a piece of construction work, and thus be both a contractor and a construction company with regard to that part of its business...

Gengulphus

As a matter of fact.... I quite enjoyed reading that :)

I felt a bit like those present at Bilbo's farewell speech in the Shire, before he embarked on the quest. (I'm talking "book", not "film", of course.)

In other words, I had to read it several times, in order to work out if it was a compliment or not.

I decided it was.

MDW1954

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 23rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

MDW1954 wrote:I felt a bit like those present at Bilbo's farewell speech in the Shire, before he embarked on the quest. (I'm talking "book", not "film", of course.)
In other words, I had to read it several times, in order to work out if it was a compliment or not.

I decided it was.

MDW1954

Nice one ;)

The Fool:
Tell us why you chose your current username (assuming there's an interesting reason!)
breelander:
It's a Lord of the Rings reference - the place I'd feel most at home would be the bar in the Prancing Pony.
https://boards.fool.com/profile/breelander/info.aspx

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm

monabri wrote: Does anyone here know more about their programme reviews....frequency, depth of review, metrics used to measure progress ( e.g. Earned Value Management )?

Yup :roll:

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 23rd, 2019, 9:09 pm

I do not feel any need to know how they work internally - that is for the Board to determine - any more than I need to know how say HSBC determines their lending criteria. I am concerned only about the financial outcome, and it has not been very inspiring for many contractors for quite a long while. That is why I would not invest in them.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 24th, 2019, 5:59 am

Dod101 wrote: I am concerned only about the financial outcome, and it has not been very inspiring for many contractors for quite a long while. That is why I would not invest in them.

Dod

I agree Dod. After Carillion, and my narrow escape, once bitten and all that. Good luck to those who think differently. I don't consider such shares worth the risk.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 24th, 2019, 8:54 am

Dod101 wrote:I do not feel any need to know how they work internally - that is for the Board to determine - any more than I need to know how say HSBC determines their lending criteria. I am concerned only about the financial outcome, and it has not been very inspiring for many contractors for quite a long while. That is why I would not invest in them.

Dod

I thought your whole premise was that you place great import on the internal board workings - that is, the culture, which determines the type of smell you desire. Now you say, you are looking a financial outcome - which is what most of us do, but you've always added something extra.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 24th, 2019, 9:24 am

Yes Arb but you are confusing two issues. I was responding to the discussions about the internal procedures of a company such as Galliford Try. Those with detailed experience of how such firms go about arriving at tenders and their monitoring procedures thereafter were giving their experiences which is fine but of little help to the investor. I was comparing that with the internal workings of say a bank. That is almost second guessing the directors and executives; not much help to an outsider. We are mostly interested in the financial outcome of these endeavours. I certainly lay great store on the culture of companies because that sets the 'tone' of how the entire operation works. There will be times when a company such as a contractor does quite well but if the culture is wrong it will go off the rails at some point. That I think is the case with most contractors. It is just the nature of the beast.

We get examples almost daily of where the culture is wrong. This morning we have the exceedingly well paid chief executive of Taylor Wimpey apparently changing his mind on accepting a 17.5% discount on a flat, the original price for which was £2.48 Million. This seems to have been linked to a 5% staff discount scheme where this man has over several years bought no fewer than four at that discount. The benefit is not taxed. The story tells us that this man was paid £3.15 million last year. Coming on top of the Persimmon PR disaster does that no show that there is something wrong with the culture?

The impression given is that these companies are first and foremost for the benefit of the executives.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 24th, 2019, 9:40 am

Dod101 wrote:
We get examples almost daily of where the culture is wrong. This morning we have the exceedingly well paid chief executive of Taylor Wimpey apparently changing his mind on accepting a 17.5% discount on a flat, the original price for which was £2.48 Million. This seems to have been linked to a 5% staff discount scheme where this man has over several years bought no fewer than four at that discount. The benefit is not taxed. The story tells us that this man was paid £3.15 million last year. Coming on top of the Persimmon PR disaster does that no show that there is something wrong with the culture?

The impression given is that these companies are first and foremost for the benefit of the executives.

Dod

If one scratches the surface, one will find most powerful men are apt to enrich themselves at the expense of others whenever they can, with a large dose of rationalisation. How else to explain the extraordinary (and increasing) gap between rich and poor? Even the way they talk about their salary as "compensation" shows the inbuilt culture of entitlement which runs through the 'top' echelons of the corporate world. It just bears out the old adage that all power corrupts.

I don't have the nose for good culture that you have, so I am happy to always have your input (as are other members of this board, I expect).

Arb.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 1st, 2019, 7:40 pm

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 17th, 2019, 6:42 pm

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 19th, 2019, 11:10 pm

More contractors suspended from Prompt Payment Code
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/201 ... ment-code/
Among 18 firms suspended today across all industries were Galliford Try, Ferrovial Agroman (UK) Ltd, Alun Griffiths, Severfield (Design & Build) Ltd, Stantec and Screwfix.

AiY

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”