Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

PYAD HYP 2019_04 – Update 30 April 2019

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: PYAD HYP 2019_04 – Update 30 April 2019

Postby Gengulphus » May 2nd, 2019, 7:37 pm

IanTHughes wrote:So, should the Annual refer to Calendar years, 2019 being a short year, or should it refer to the anniversary of the start date?

I would recommend doing it either by calendar years or by tax years, depending on which would tend to be more convenient for you personally. If the two tie on that count, my preference would be tax years, as they basically avoid the short year and so make year-on-year comparisons easy at an earlier stage. I say tax years because they're close enough to anniversaries of the portfolio start date IMHO and rather better-defined, since the portfolio's shares were selected at roughly daily intervals over a few weeks in March/April, spanning the tax year end.

Gengulphus

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » May 2nd, 2019, 11:09 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:So, should the Annual refer to Calendar years, 2019 being a short year, or should it refer to the anniversary of the start date?

I would recommend doing it either by calendar years or by tax years, depending on which would tend to be more convenient for you personally. If the two tie on that count, my preference would be tax years, as they basically avoid the short year and so make year-on-year comparisons easy at an earlier stage. I say tax years because they're close enough to anniversaries of the portfolio start date IMHO and rather better-defined, since the portfolio's shares were selected at roughly daily intervals over a few weeks in March/April, spanning the tax year end

Makes sense to me. It will give a figure for each Tax Year which is almost in line with the anniversary of the set up. I think that only the two REITs - British Land (BLND) and Land Securities (LAND) - were ex-dividend at the time of purchase, which means that even the first year-on-year calculations will almost exactly reflect an actual year-on-year increase/decrease.

I will make the necessary adjustments and thanks for taking the time to voice these ideas

Ian

keith

Postby keith » May 2nd, 2019, 11:47 pm

Hi

Tax years will be capable of being verified with tax certificates

Keith

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am

keith wrote:Tax years will be capable of being verified with tax certificates

Ian has described the two portfolios as "these two virtual portfolios", so I'm afraid that will only work if he can get the virtual account provider to supply him with tax certificates!

Gengulphus

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » May 3rd, 2019, 11:17 am

Gengulphus wrote:

Ian has described the two portfolios as "these two virtual portfolios", so I'm afraid that will only work if he can get the virtual account provider to supply him with tax certificates!

Surely that should be "virtual tax certificates" :D

Ian

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

IanTHughes wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

Surely that should be "virtual tax certificates" :D

Yet better would be "tax certificates Ian has the ability to check his figures against". If virtual tax certificates meet that rewording, of course, they will do... ;-)

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”