Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Imperial Brands Half Yearly Report

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Imperial Brands Half Yearly Report

Postby Arborbridge » May 9th, 2019, 8:45 am

idpickering wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
I hold IMB and tomorrow I will be topping-up my holding, using my broker's monthly regular cheap investing process. I am therefore somewhat pleased about the drop in share price yesterday. :)

Ian

I know I said yesterday that I wasn't going to buy any more IMB, but it's so tempting. Much like I took advantage of the drop of RDSB in 2016 by doubling up. I certainly wouldn't double up on IMB though, but a small top up might be in order perhaps?

Ian.

My top ups tomorrow are: BATs and WPP. Just the way it's worked out.

Arb.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » May 9th, 2019, 8:47 am

idpickering wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
I hold IMB and tomorrow I will be topping-up my holding, using my broker's monthly regular cheap investing process. I am therefore somewhat pleased about the drop in share price yesterday. :)

Ian

I know I said yesterday that I wasn't going to buy any more IMB, but it's so tempting. Much like I took advantage of the drop of RDSB in 2016 by doubling up. I certainly wouldn't double up on IMB though, but a small top up might be in order perhaps?

Ian.

I added yesterday afternoon. This one will Definately be my last top up...... :D

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 9th, 2019, 8:54 am

From the conversations above it would seem that quitting buying shares in tobacco companies is as difficult as quitting actual smoking.

;)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 9th, 2019, 9:11 am

Arborbridge wrote:
My top ups tomorrow are: BATs and WPP. Just the way it's worked out.

Arb.

You may recall I was planning to buy more WPP this month, but they’ve been doing well of late. I can see me making a smallish top up, for the last time, of IMB. With the market offering a number of stocks for sale currently, i’ll See nearer the time, The date of purchase being 22 May.

Ian.

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » May 9th, 2019, 9:16 am

monabri wrote:From the conversations above it would seem that quitting buying shares in tobacco companies is as difficult as quitting actual smoking.

;)

Guilty as charged, your honour. Having made my first purchase of IMB yesterday, I couldn't resist doubling up today. :oops:

Gostevie

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 9th, 2019, 9:28 am

We need a few more like ITH and Gostevie to be buying because the last time looked they were down again this morning.

Dod

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » May 9th, 2019, 10:16 am

Here's a summary of the last 5 years basic EPS, adjusted EPS and dividend. Adjusted EPS is what gets used though I don't why the basic EPS isn't picked up more.

I don't think they should be increasing the dividend!

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 9th, 2019, 10:32 am

spiderbill wrote:Timing has been everything with IMB. I had the misfortune/mistake to buy mostly in 2016/17 and am sitting on a 35% capital loss, which will take years of dividends to compensate for. Hard to believe that such a HYP stalwart with such a profitable business has lost me more than Petrofac with all its SFO troubles. The time to buy wasn't then!
Shows how easy it is for apparently good shares to bite you.

I'd say it shows how easy it is to fall into the trap of going into a long-term strategy with the idea in mind that a few years is long-term!

I bought a holding of Electrocomponents in November 2007 and topped it up a couple of times in the first half of 2008. By early 2009, about 18 months after my first purchase, it was down on capital value on my average purchase price by around 40%. Ouch... But what would really have bitten me is if I'd sold out of the holding at that point, or at any point in the next 7 years or so when after recovering over the first year, its share price meandered along pretty aimlessly - because after that it rose very steeply from about mid-2016 to about mid-2018. That had the result that my holding became rather overweight on capital and low on yield, so that I decided to top-slice about 30% of it just under a year ago. That sale realised about 102.5% of the original cost of my entire holding, so that my net capital drawdown on the holding is now negative (*) - and I've got the dividends paid so far as well, which amount to about another two-thirds of the original cost.

Not saying that Electrocomponents was a wonderful HYP share in 2007-2009 - obviously I thought it was a HYP share then (which it certainly isn't now, as its yield is far too low), but certainly not a wonderful one. At its low in 2009, compensating for my capital loss with dividends alone would have taken about 8 years of dividends at its freshly-cut rate of 11p per year. But that is really a rather pointless figure, because it actually took about one year for recovery to compensate for that loss. And I'm also not saying that such things will always happen - they won't by any means, as the extreme examples of Carillion and Bradford & Bingley in my HYP (and the almost-as-extreme example of RBS) have demonstrated over the last couple of decades. But Electrocomponents is not the only example of a HYP share that recovered pretty dramatically after a pretty deep share price trough - BHP Billiton (now BHP Group) is the fairly recent example that springs to mind, having roughly tripled in price since its deep low a bit under 3.5 years ago.

What's basically going on is a hare-vs-tortoise race. Capital is the hare and are likely to dash around in both directions; the cumulative effect of dividends the tortoise that plods in the correct direction or worst case, comes to a standstill. In the short term, the hare is highly likely to be by far the most significant determinant of the outcome of the race - if it dashes forward for a few years, the capital gains are almost certain to greatly outweigh the cumulative dividends and so look far more important than them, and if it dashes backwards for a few years, the capital losses are likely to do the same and so look to take a silly number of years for dividends to compensate for them... :-( In the long term, it's more likely that the hare has wasted its energy dashing both backwards and forwards, giving the tortoise's slower, steadier progress a better chance of determining the outcome of the race.

HYP strategies are basically a long-term bet on the tortoise - or more precisely, on the overall success of a good-sized bunch of tortoises of different species. You won't get a decent picture of that until they've been racing long enough for quite a high proportion of the hares to have done some dashing both forward and backward. Look at some really long-term price charts of typical HYP shares and you'll see that their big dashes quite frequently last a sizeable number of years - e.g. IMB's last big dash forward was about 7.5 years from the spring of 2009 to the autumn of 2016, somewhat less than tripling in price, and its current dash backwards has nearly halved its share price in the subsequent ~2.5 years. The result of that sort of behaviour is that (at least IMHO) anything less than 5 years is definitely still short-term in a HYP context, while 5-10 years only starts to show significant evidence of long-term behaviour but still runs a large risk of being heavily influenced by short-term factors - i.e. you'll probably (though definitely not certainly) get a decent long-term picture of the whole-portfolio behaviour of the HYP, but the picture you get of any particular share may well still be highly misleading.

None of the above is intended as an argument either for or against HYP strategies, by the way - just as a comment on a practical reality of running them: they're dividend-oriented, long-term strategies, which implies that it will take many years for how well or badly they're doing against the ongoing backdrop of share price movements to show through. Coping with that practical reality is one of the psychological challenges of running a HYP - "too early to tell" is a deeply unsatisfying answer to the natural "how am I doing?" question, which is rather unfortunate when it's the only proper answer that's actually available...

(*) That's a position I believe some here are describing as "negative net cost" or something similar, but it seems clear to me that the cost of the ~70% of my peak holding that I still own is ~70% of my total outlay on purchases - the fact that I once owned further shares that I have sold at a handsome profit doesn't magically reduce the cost of the shares that I still own any more when the type of share I still own is the same as the type of share I previously owned, any more than it would if they were different types of share.

Gengulphus

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » May 9th, 2019, 10:46 am

Walrus wrote:
I added yesterday afternoon. This one will Definately be my last top up...... :D

You are "H" and I claim my £5 ;)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 9th, 2019, 10:47 am

I have been taking a look at some numbers over the last three years for Unilever and for Imperial.

Capitalwise, Imperial has gone from £37.575 on 7 May 2016 to £21.66 today (-42%). Over the same timescale, Unilever has gone from £31.075 to £46.52 (49.7%)

On a similar per share basis, the dividends paid over the period were £4.57 for Imperial and £3.43 for Unilever. These dividend numbers are somewhat crude because it depends on the timing but the message is clear.

Hindsight as everyone knows is wonderful and that applies to me as much as anyone else. I hold both, and not surprisingly, Unilever is now my biggest holding.

I would take some persuading that Imperial is a good buy at present but I may well be proved wrong. If they ever reduce that 10% increase per annum (and that is surely likely at some point) what on earth will happen to the share price then? Probably increase.

Dod

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 9th, 2019, 11:10 am

Dod101 wrote:I would take some persuading that Imperial is a good buy at present but I may well be proved wrong. If they ever reduce that 10% increase per annum (and that is surely likely at some point) what on earth will happen to the share price then? Probably increase.

Dod

That's the way that Professor Mrs Sodde's Law usually works with dividend declarations. I've lost count of the contrary moves in the past few years.

Let's look back briefly at the history of IMT as was over the last 20 years.

01 Oct 1996 demerged from Hanson at 375p. First year's dividends 21.4p.

12 Apr 2002 Rights issue, I sold mine and shortly afterwards trimmed my holding at £10.83. Dividends now 35p.

18 Jun 2008 Rights issue sold, share price approximately £20, dividend 66.2p

05 Feb 2016 trimmed holding at £35.79, dividend 155.2p

Today, shareprice c.£22, dividend (final plus latest interim) 193.48p.

I only have about 9 years of Unilever details, but Feb 2010, bought at £19.15, dividend 71.24p.

Now, share price approximately £46, dividend 135.3p.

IMT's dividend in 2010 was 76.3p, so I think that ULVR loses out on dividend growth.

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 9th, 2019, 11:13 am

Arborbridge wrote:There's certainly another lesson here in "nothing is for ever". I am also down, about 14% - and that's over nine years of holding and occasionally adding.

I think that has to be an unintentionally rather misleading statement, because looking at an IMB share price chart, its price was at least a bit below its current price throughout 2010. So I don't doubt that your overall position after 9 years of owning an IMB holding is about 14% down - but it seems likely that you've held the IMB shares that you're down on for less than 9 years. How much less depends on how big the top-ups were, but some playing with the numbers says they must either account for a large percentage of your current holding or have been purchased quite a lot less than 9 years ago. E.g. about half your current holding purchased at a price of about 3050p or about a third of it purchased at a price of about 3800p could make you down about 14% overall on capital - but those are prices one would only have had to pay less than 5 years ago.

I.e. it seems highly likely to me that you're actually up a bit on the IMB shares you bought about 9 years ago, but down rather more than 14% on a substantial number of IMB shares bought quite a bit less long ago, making the '14% down after 9 years' a rather misleading oversimplification. (I say "highly likely" because you could also have bought IMB shares at above the current price between about 11 and 12 years ago - but saying "over nine years" when it's actually well over ten seems a bit unlikely...)

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 9th, 2019, 11:15 am

Dod101 wrote:I have been taking a look at some numbers over the last three years for Unilever and for Imperial.

Capitalwise, Imperial has gone from £37.575 on 7 May 2016 to £21.66 today (-42%). Over the same timescale, Unilever has gone from £31.075 to £46.52 (49.7%)

On a similar per share basis, the dividends paid over the period were £4.57 for Imperial and £3.43 for Unilever. These dividend numbers are somewhat crude because it depends on the timing but the message is clear.

Yes, the message "three years is short term" is indeed abundantly clear.

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 9th, 2019, 11:22 am

I agree that Unilever loses out on dividend growth but that is my point. That is the comfort that true HYPers always fall back on but the better dividend growth has come with a huge capital cost.

As to historic numbers, I have held Unilever since 12 January 2000 when I inherited it from my late wife's portfolio. She would have bought around 1992 I think although I do not have the record at hand. Allowing for a consolidation by Unilever in 2006, the shares were on that date quoted at £10.70. I have the record for CGT if required.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 9th, 2019, 11:32 am

Gengulphus wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I have been taking a look at some numbers over the last three years for Unilever and for Imperial.

Yes, the message "three years is short term" is indeed abundantly clear

I agree 3 years is relatively short term. I have produced the share price for Unilever at January 2000 and could produce the dividends paid since then but as you will know they are a series of fiddly little numbers and I do not have time at the moment to do it. I also have the record for Imperial but with the rights issues and so on the numbers are difficult to get right. You may like to do them for Imperial. I bought them on 27 March 1997 at £4.19 but am not aware of the effect (if any) of the two rights issues since then or whether that figure can be used as a comparison with today's £21 or so.

Let no one say that I am not a believer in LTBH!

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 9th, 2019, 11:43 am

Dod101 wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

Yes, the message "three years is short term" is indeed abundantly clear

I agree 3 years is relatively short term. I have produced the share price for Unilever at January 2000 and could produce the dividends paid since then but as you will know they are a series of fiddly little numbers and I do not have time at the moment to do it. I also have the record for Imperial but with the rights issues and so on the numbers are difficult to get right. You may like to do them for Imperial. I bought them on 27 March 1997 at £4.19 but am not aware of the effect (if any) of the two rights issues since then or whether that figure can be used as a comparison with today's £21 or so.

Let no one say that I am not a believer in LTBH!

Dod

If you were interested in "the numbers" ( dividends) then DividendData might help - there is the option to view adjusted or non-adjusted dividends ("corporate actions such as share splits, rights issues, bonus issues etc.").

The adjusted data takes into account the things mentioned above (share splits etc.) and is the default view.

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... ?epic=ULVR

A useful resource..HTH.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 9th, 2019, 11:54 am

bluedonkey wrote:Here's a summary of the last 5 years basic EPS, adjusted EPS and dividend. Adjusted EPS is what gets used though I don't why the basic EPS isn't picked up more.

I don't think they should be increasing the dividend!

"I don't why the basic EPS isn't picked up more" Maybe that's the triumph of hope over adversity :)

Basic is unadulterated without all the various fiddle-factors which accountants use to make their books look good to please the CEO. There are genuine knowns, non-genuine knowns, unknown genuine knowns and unknown non-genuine knowns and ..... where was I ?

That's why many pundits prefer free cash flow, but that raises some other questions.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 9th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Dod101 wrote:I agree that Unilever loses out on dividend growth but that is my point. That is the comfort that true HYPers always fall back on but the better dividend growth has come with a huge capital cost.

Dod

But surely, here is the problem: we can always see the result, but one could never have known that was going to happen. That being so, what can we learn apart from "diversification" and keeping a portfolio in some sort of balance?

I note you have been very keen on BATs in the past - almost, I dare say, with a sense of self satisfaction at having chosen such a "good" share - but you haven't a clue how that will turn out. It could be the next Centrica :( And many people, thought IMB was the better share of the two.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 9th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:There's certainly another lesson here in "nothing is for ever". I am also down, about 14% - and that's over nine years of holding and occasionally adding.

I think that has to be an unintentionally rather misleading statement, because looking at an IMB share price chart, its price was at least a bit below its current price throughout 2010. So I don't doubt that your overall position after 9 years of owning an IMB holding is about 14% down - but it seems likely that you've held the IMB shares that you're down on for less than 9 years.

Gengulphus

Yes, it was misleading. About 30% of my shares were bought during 2010, the rest came later as my HYP grew.
I've bought 9 times in total.

Perhaps a less misleading picture of the success or otherwise, is the XIRR of 6.8% - not great, but not awful. But even that is misleading in that it rates the success of the investor as well as the share! And the investor is also pulled in different directions according to what else needs topping up at the time.

Arb.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » May 9th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Yep, clear as a bell. If one selects nearly the highest share price occurring just before a now known slide in price down to a 5 year low, the capital value won't look too good.

Who would have thought it?

Ian

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”