Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

My Portfolio Year 5

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
minerjoe
2 Lemon pips

My Portfolio Year 5

Postby minerjoe » May 16th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Below you can see my current portfolio

This year was the first year of Top ups, as opposed to new cash purchases. I may make some new acquisitions in the future, however overall I am happy with the content. As ever, recommendations or thoughts are appreciated.

For the Top Ups - I added new holdings in Legal and General Group, Aviva, British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Petrofac and Phoenix Group. I sold my holding of KCOM when the takeover was approved (for more than the takeover offer?!) and put that money into Sirius Minerals as it had fallen to a low. Even though this doesn't pay a dividend, I am happy to take the risk.

My best performers are AstraZeneca, BHP, BP, Central Asia Metals and BBA Aviation - all of whom haven't been topped up but have more than doubled my initial investment and still hold substantial yields.

I think I am now in the growth phase of the HYP, although I will continue to try and get the full ISA limit in, every year.

Not HYP Shares

Dividends:

Dividends have grown year on year - primarily due to the cash injections. However since I unitised 2 years ago I have seen growth in dividends per unit of just under 20%

HYP Vs FTSE:

I've managed to outperform the FTSE all in by about 6% over the last 3 years

Thoughts and views are welcome

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: My Portfolio Year 5

Postby PinkDalek » May 16th, 2019, 2:40 pm

This should be your image:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 16th, 2019, 3:03 pm

That's a nice looking HYP minerjoe, thank you for sharing it with us. It seems well spread and balance to me. I dropped ITV and SBRY recently though.

Ian.

minerjoe
2 Lemon pips

Postby minerjoe » May 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm

PinkDalek wrote:This should be your image:

Thank you! - I dont know why it didnt work for me,

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » May 16th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Is that the total return FTSE you are comparing to, or the regular FTSE 100?

Over the last few years, in capital terms, my HYP has massively under-performed the FTSE-100, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
StepOne

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 16th, 2019, 4:32 pm

StepOne wrote:Over the last few years, in capital terms, my HYP has massively under-performed the FTSE-100, which is why I'm asking.

It shouldn't be massive with sensible stock selection, but a HYP portfolio is selecting from the higher yield end of the FTSE-100. If in total return it had exactly matched the FTSE-100, then under-performing on the capital is to be expected because the higher income compensates.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » May 16th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Alaric wrote:
StepOne wrote:Over the last few years, in capital terms, my HYP has massively under-performed the FTSE-100, which is why I'm asking.

It shouldn't be massive with sensible stock selection, but a HYP portfolio is selecting from the higher yield end of the FTSE-100. If in total return it had exactly matched the FTSE-100, then under-performing on the capital is to be expected because the higher income compensates.

It is massive. My year end is end of May, so we are nearly there. For the current year I am down 13% in capital terms only. FTSE-100 down 5%. That's an 8 percent difference. Previous year -6 vs +2 for another 8 percent lag. Year before that I was 3% behind, which is more like what I would expect.

And that's without having any of the Carillion/Interserve type disasters. BATS, Vodafone, National Grid, Standard Life have all helped drag my performance down. It's only really Unilever, British Aerospace and BP that are keeping their heads above water.

StepOne.

minerjoe
2 Lemon pips

Postby minerjoe » May 16th, 2019, 5:03 pm

StepOne wrote:Is that the total return FTSE you are comparing to, or the regular FTSE 100?

Over the last few years, in capital terms, my HYP has massively under-performed the FTSE-100, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
StepOne

It's the FTSE 100 - as that's where most of the companies I own are. As you can see though, my portfolio jumped quite early and has mostly maintained that gap.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 16th, 2019, 5:50 pm

I'm guessing that as a HYP builder, minerjoe has taken advantage - to some extent - of buying shares such as Petrofac, Aviva, BATS as low prices - i.e. when the derriere has fallen out of them share price wise ? Seems a more sensible course of action than buying when they are top dollar.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » May 16th, 2019, 6:20 pm

minerjoe wrote:

Minerjoe,
thanks for sharing.
nice looking portfolio.

Worth checking out the short position on some of your shares:
https://shorttracker.co.uk/companies/?sort=2&d=desc
particularly Wood group, Sainsburys (I have bailed out of both) and Petrofac (never held).

If you are looking for suggestions for new additions, you might want to investigate Schroders SDRC

minerjoe
2 Lemon pips

Postby minerjoe » May 16th, 2019, 6:54 pm

TUK020 wrote:
minerjoe wrote:

Minerjoe,
thanks for sharing.
nice looking portfolio.

Worth checking out the short position on some of your shares:
https://shorttracker.co.uk/companies/?sort=2&d=desc
particularly Wood group, Sainsburys (I have bailed out of both) and Petrofac (never held).

If you are looking for suggestions for new additions, you might want to investigate Schroders SDRC

I've never really bothered with shorts - as an aside both of those shares I am barely down on, having bought them in significant dips.

Petrofac I also bought on a serious dip, so I am actually up on my initial investment before I topped up.

I'd say the FTSE now is a real buying space with some seriously cheap shares around

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 17th, 2019, 9:59 am

minerjoe wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:This should be your image:

Thank you! - I dont know why it didnt work for me,

The difference is that PinkDalek's link to the image has the file extension ".png" at the end of it and yours doesn't. At a guess, you probably copied the "Image Link" (at the top of the list imgur makes available, at least as I'm looking at it and used the "Img" button above the post composition box to label it as an image - the one you want is either the "Direct Link" one (just below it) and the "Img" button, or the "BBCode (message boards & forums)" one (at 5th position in that list) to do the whole job at once.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 17th, 2019, 10:10 am

For those who would like to compare them, here is minerjoe's year 4 report. I haven't found any before that.

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”