Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Non-Standard Finance bid for Provident Financial

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
jimleigh

Non-Standard Finance bid for Provident Financial

Postby jimleigh » May 19th, 2019, 10:48 am

I still have Provident Financial in my HYP, with the NSF bid dead line looming next week 23/05/19, what are other HYPers doing, Take No Action (Default) or Accept Offer?

mike
Lemon Slice

Re: Non-Standard Finance bid for Provident Financial

Postby mike » May 19th, 2019, 11:03 am

jimleigh wrote:... the NSF bid dead line looming next week 23/05/19 ...

I believe the deadline was 15 May, not 23 May. NSF got 53.5%, and here are the announcements

From NSF https://www.investegate.co.uk/non-standard-fin--nsf-/rns/offer-is-unconditional-as-to-acceptances/201905151637411649Z/

From PFG https://www.investegate.co.uk/provident-fin-plc---pfg-/rns/update-on-offer-by-non-standard-finance-plc/201905151746031767Z/

There is still a way to go yet with regulatory hurdles. I have not sold, but have set projected income for PFG as 0 in my spreadsheet. Currently, my intention is to hold on and see what happens.

Davidsb
2 Lemon pips

Postby Davidsb » May 20th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Currently, my intention is to hold on and see what happens.

Same here - there's a way to go yet.

My impression is that PFG has been winning the PR war, as the only supporters of the bid are those who hold shares in both sides.

Good luck to all holders.....

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

jimleigh wrote:... with the NSF bid dead line looming next week 23/05/19, ...

I have replied to this point in viewtopic.php?f=94&t=16402&p=223227#p223227, basically to say that that deadline is out of date (it's probably a broker deadline set before the timetable for the offer was extended and NSF made a commitment to giving 14 days notice of the offer closing). I've made the reply there, in the existing thread on Company Share News board, both because it's where most previous discussion of the offer has happened and because there's nothing HYP-specific about my reply.

As far as your HYP-specific question about what other HYPers are doing about it, my answer as a HYPer is "nothing" - but that's hardly surprising, because my HYPs include neither PFG nor NSF! ;-)

Gengulphus

jimleigh

Postby jimleigh » May 21st, 2019, 9:55 am

Gengulphus wrote:
jimleigh wrote:... with the NSF bid dead line looming next week 23/05/19, ...

I have replied to this point in viewtopic.php?f=94&t=16402&p=223227#p223227, basically to say that that deadline is out of date (it's probably a broker deadline set before the timetable for the offer was extended and NSF made a commitment to giving 14 days notice of the offer closing). I've made the reply there, in the existing thread on Company Share News board, both because it's where most previous discussion of the offer has happened and because there's nothing HYP-specific about my reply.

As far as your HYP-specific question about what other HYPers are doing about it, my answer as a HYPer is "nothing" - but that's hardly surprising, because my HYPs include neither PFG nor NSF! ;-)

Gengulphus

Thanks Gengulphus for your comprehensive reply on the Company Share News board. You are also correct about the date, it was as advised by AJ Bell. I am currently hanging on to my PFG shares waiting for something to develop.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » June 5th, 2019, 12:53 am

The FT is reporting that the NSF bid for PFG has been abandonned

For subscribers https://www.ft.com/content/0725d86c-8703-11e9-97ea-05ac2431f453
For non-subscribers, follow the link https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Non-Standard+Finance+drops+plan+to+acquire+Provident+Financial

The company said the decision to abandon the deal, which had secured the support of a slim majority of shareholders, came because the combined group would not have sufficient regulatory capital at completion due to the significant level of minority investors that would remain in Provident.

The Woodford debacle may also cause ripples; Woodford's funds own a large stake in both.

PFG's interims will be published on 30 July when we shall see how their return to paying dividends is going. From their final results in March https://www.investegate.co.uk/provident-fin-plc---pfg-/rns/final-results/201903130700046657S/
Consistent with the commitment at the time of the rights issue, the Board is proposing a nominal final dividend of 10.0p per share in respect of 2018 (2017: nil) which results in a dividend cover of 4.7 times (2017: nil). If approved at the AGM on 21 May 2019, this will be paid on 21 June 2019 to shareholders on the register on 24 May 2019.

As previously stated, the Board's dividend policy is to maintain a dividend cover of at least 1.4 times as the home credit business recovers and moves into profitability.

The Board has recently re-evaluated the timing of dividend payments. Accordingly, in respect of the 2019 financial year and thereafter, the Board intends to:
· Pay the interim dividend in September rather than in late November; and
· Pay the final dividend in late May rather than in late June.

ayshfm1
Lemon Slice

Postby ayshfm1 » June 5th, 2019, 9:04 am

Woodford being a forced seller currently and the slim majority the result of his support probably had a bit to do with it, the "slim" majority was probably fading away.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » June 5th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Lapse of Offer

The Provident Board notes the announcement by Non-Standard Finance plc ("NSF") that its unsolicited offer for Provident (the "Offer") has lapsed. The Provident Board believes this outcome to be in the best interests of Provident Shareholders and greatly regrets the unnecessary distraction, cost and impact of the uncertainty on Provident's customers and staff caused by NSF pursuing its extended hostile Offer.

Provident's standalone strategy is clear. As announced in the Trading Statement and Vision for the Future on 3rd May 2019, Provident intends to continue on its path of delivering the strategic initiatives already underway at Provident to generate attractive and sustainable returns for shareholders. Our focus is on providing customers with credit products appropriate for their circumstances, delivering good customer outcomes and generating sustainable shareholder returns. This will be achieved by:

https://www.investegate.co.uk/provident ... 44331952B/

PFG up 15% as I type.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”