Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vodafone topped up

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Vodafone topped up

Postby Lootman » July 7th, 2019, 7:27 pm

SentimentRules wrote:
Lootman wrote:
SentimentRules wrote:When you compare Vodafone with the EU US super sectors, uk sector and etf markets, and top 20 global companies

It's difficult to imagine anyone backing it even when the UK sector turns....there seems to be much more favoured out there for any trying to early prep into telecoms

I do not disagree with your negative outlook for VOD.

But this is your second day on TLF and in 64 posts you must have already come to an appreciation of the investing talent here. Can you describe to us what you believe you can learn from being here? I mention this only because most newbies here take their time to understand the landscape, and don't start lecturing from day one.

What is your objective here?

Maybe new to here. But an old hand in markets.

What can i learn from being here? Is that not something we all need to ask ourselves? And achieve?

I hope to learn from you. And if your lucky, you will learn a bit from me too. All winners.

I was curious about specifically what you believe you can learn from us all here? What impresses you most about the other comments here? How has that challenged your thinking? What is it about the excellence here that makes you want to draw inspiration from it?

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 7th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Thus far, the great Ardbeg whiskey recommended by Dod and co. Not much else yet but il keep you posted....

However if you have learned much from all others here, that ultimately, is my aim too.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 7th, 2019, 7:31 pm

SentimentRules wrote:Thus far, the great Ardbeg whiskey recommended by Dod and co. Not much else yet but il keep you posted....

OK, so your observation so far is that we all collectively can't teach you much?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 7th, 2019, 7:32 pm

SentimentRules wrote:Thus far, the great Ardbeg whiskey recommended by Dod and co.

You forgot the correction you've already been provided with.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 7th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Maybe you can teach me much. But don't be so quick to assume there is nothing i can teach you.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 7th, 2019, 7:36 pm

What really interests me in all the posts on this site is this.

Why choose mine to question?

Does it make you feel slightly inferior? Not my intention.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 7th, 2019, 8:01 pm

SentimentRules wrote:
Anyway back to topic. Shorting this with a target of 76p initially and dividend cut to 0%. At that stage il assess if its enough to tempt funds back. See how fundamentals are faring at that time. And if a buy possible.

It might seem a long time ago now, but do you remember how you said you'd be careful to consider the tone and themes of existing threads, and that you'd keep all 'shorting chats' to the thread linked below?

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18417&p=234557#p234568

Can I kindly suggest that you might wish to revisit those commitments, and specifically please read the posting guidelines for this HYP Practical Board, and ensure that you comply by them when posting on this board in future? -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8651

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 7th, 2019, 8:07 pm

I'm slightly confused here. Its a thread on HYP. The title of the thread is 'Vodafone topped up'

But we cant discuss the constituents of the portfolio ?

If you could clarify what the difference is between practical and other I would really appreciate it. And navigate more carefully.

I thought the discussion of a portfolio constituent was pretty normal, especially given tbe thread title.

I am discussing it in a HYP manner. My shorting view amd expected dividend 0% , highly related.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 7th, 2019, 8:14 pm

I get what you mean 're the rules. But page one of this thread is Vodafone specific.

HYP . Read an interesting case study on it. I think it was the journal of finance many years ago. Il try to find it. A very interesting read before newbies commit to HYP

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 7th, 2019, 8:21 pm

SentimentRules wrote:
I get what you mean 're the rules. But page one of this thread is Vodafone specific.

It is, but you've posted 74 times in your first 30 hours as a user on this site, and it's clear that you're not considering how this site is laid out, and the posting expectations regarding what is preferred to be discussed where....

Can I please suggest that you slow down a bit and get a better feel for things before you plow on at the same pace?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Last edited by Itsallaguess on July 7th, 2019, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 7th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Well first you say 'it is' and then chastise as if it isn't. Which is it ?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 7th, 2019, 8:28 pm

SentimentRules wrote:
Well first you say 'it is' and then chastise as if it isn't. Which is it ?

It's Vodafone specifc, but it's a post on the HYP Practical board, which has specific guidance as to the themes and topics allowed to be discussed....

And whilst that should be (and is....) reason enough, none of that over-rides your earlier commitment anyway, which was to keep all shorting discussions to your other shorting thread......

I am trying to help a new user, but he doesn't seem too keen to listen......

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 7th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:it's a post on the HYP Practical board, which has specific guidance as to the themes and topics allowed to be discussed....

One of the topics NOT allowed to be discussed is criticism of the whole idea. It's safer to express such thoughts on the High Yield Shares and Strategies - General board.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 8th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Moderator Message:
Guys/Gals, this thread is exclusively for discussion of topping up of Vodafone within the context of an HYP as defined loosely by the board guidance. If you wish to continue to discuss the focus of HYP - Practical please can you do so on this thread over on HYP - General. Any non VOD discussion will probably get moved over there so please save us the work. Thanks. - Chris

ElectronicFur
2 Lemon pips

Postby ElectronicFur » July 11th, 2019, 8:32 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
This where a gradual transition to ITs might begin.

Terry, thanks for your earlier reply. Things have been a bit hectic, so absent from the fool till now. Meant to ask about this as well. What is your reason for transitioning to ITs, instead of topping up existing holdings?

ElectronicFur
2 Lemon pips

Postby ElectronicFur » July 11th, 2019, 8:53 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
ElectronicFur wrote:I don't understand the logic. Surely as announced in March 2019, they have cut the annual dividend from 15.07 to 9 and so are no longer eligible for top-up?

That would rule them out for selection as a new share. Topping up criteria are up to the individual.

If they still rank high and are in recovery mode, then I see no reason not to top up.

I have done this in the past, as I've never run a very pure HYP. But in my experience the problem is knowing whether a share is actually going to recover.

This works great when it does, but not so great when it doesn't. So now for my HYP, if it is ruled out for selection as a new share, it's ruled out for a top up. If I do decide I want to buy the share as a recovery play, I do it in my Value portfolio. I find this then crystalises the risks, causing me to be more cautious than just topping up. And it also makes me appropriately adjust the amounts invested, and top-slice any gains earlier than I would if in my HYP portfolio.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 12th, 2019, 9:36 am

ElectronicFur wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
This where a gradual transition to ITs might begin.

Terry, thanks for your earlier reply. Things have been a bit hectic, so absent from the fool till now. Meant to ask about this as well. What is your reason for transitioning to ITs, instead of topping up existing holdings?

Age and decrepitude. I'm fine at the moment, but the time will surely come when I can no longer manage the portfolio effectively, and that is when the transition will have to be made. Also if I know that I have not long to go in this life, then I would do it to simplify things for my heirs.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”