Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Marston's Trading Statement.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Marston's Trading Statement.

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2019, 7:04 am

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Re: Marston's Trading Statement.

Postby Walrus101 » July 24th, 2019, 7:55 am

On the face of it, sounds positive. Guess it depends what the market was expecting, but the strategy appears sound to me :)

Cheers Ian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2019, 8:42 am

Walrus101 wrote:

On the face of it, sounds positive. Guess it depends what the market was expecting, but the strategy appears sound to me :)

Cheers Ian

I hold, and agree with you, but the market thinks differently, with the sp down over 5% as I type.

Ian.

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Postby Walrus101 » July 24th, 2019, 8:51 am

idpickering wrote:
Walrus101 wrote:

Cheers Ian

I hold, and agree with you, but the market thinks differently, with the sp down over 5% as I type.

Ian.

Yes that was my suspicion when I saw them.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2019, 9:02 am

Now down over 8%. Overdone IMHO. Anyone tempted? I've spent enough on them already, but shall continue to hold.

Ian.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » July 24th, 2019, 9:05 am

idpickering wrote:
Walrus101 wrote:

I too believe that this Trading Update is good news for those holding the shares. However, with the price increasing by over 8.5% over the past month, I think we can be confident in thinking that the "Market" was already expecting good things, obviously better than reported this morning!

Of course, as an eternity holder, an HYPer already drawing income will not care one jot for the entirely normal random walk of share prices. Also, anyone still building an HYP can now lock in a higher yield with Marston's PLC (MARS)! Good news all around, no?

Ian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2019, 9:12 am

IanTHughes wrote:

I too believe that this Trading Update is good news for those holding the shares. However, with the price increasing by over 8.5% over the past month, I think we can be confident in thinking that the "Market" was already expecting good things, obviously better than reported this morning!

Of course, as an eternity holder, an HYPer already drawing income will not care one jot for the entirely normal random walk of share prices. Also, anyone still building an HYP can now lock in a higher yield with Marston's PLC (MARS)! Good news all around, no?

Ian

Maybe so Ian, and your second paragraph hits the nail on the head.

Ian.

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » July 24th, 2019, 9:51 am

Trading Update with formatting here:

http://www.marstons.co.uk/docs/financia ... 190724.pdf

This seems to have surprised the market a little with the sp down 10p as a type. I think the key to the sp drop is this:

weaker sales in the last 16 weeks reflecting strong trading in the same period last year, which included the World Cup and an unusually hot summer.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me and I’m not sure why the market was not expecting this.

Better (and more important) news is the plan to accelerate the dept reduction program. Expansion plans are being scaled back. This is what the market has been crying out for in the last few years and the perceived high debt is why many think MARS has such a low market rating.

Having made good progress with our cash generation and debt reduction plans, we have subsequently decided to accelerate our efforts in this context and defer our remaining new-build plans and reallocate £20-30 million of the £70 million new-build capex over the next three years to drive higher returns from our existing estate. We believe that this focus will further enhance our returns from our existing pub business and reduce our debt at an even greater pace.

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Postby Walrus101 » July 24th, 2019, 10:10 am

Looks like I'm out of another of my HYP as my stop losses have been triggered. Yuck
Moderator Message:
Stop losses are not part of any HYP strategy to which this board is devoted. Please see the board guidance. Thanks - Chris

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » July 24th, 2019, 11:08 am

Walrus101 wrote:Looks like I'm out of another of my HYP as my stop losses have been triggered. Yuck
Moderator Message:
Stop losses are not part of any HYP strategy to which this board is devoted. Please see the board guidance. Thanks - Chris

Sorry to hear that Walrus. MARS is doing OK for me; I’ve been invested for a while and increased my investment. Basically, I believe in the future and there seems to be enough security in terms of TNAV to make it one of my favourite shares.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » July 25th, 2019, 1:43 pm

This is the main element I am interested in. Interim held for third year running. Final static for 2 years. Not a cutter though.

Interim dividend maintained at 2.7 pence per share, as previously guided

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”