Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

HSBC Interim highlights.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

HSBC Interim highlights.

Postby idpickering » August 5th, 2019, 5:25 am

2019 Interim Results - highlights
•Strong revenue momentum in 1H19 in Retail Banking and Wealth Management ('RBWM'), as we won new customers and increased lending, and in Commercial Banking ('CMB'), with growth in all major products and all regions. Global Banking and Markets ('GB&M') revenue lower.
•Continuing growth in Asia, although outlook is less certain. Reported revenue in Asia up 7% compared with 1H18. Reported lending in Asia up $23bn or 5% compared with the end of 2018.
•Investments of $2.2bn in 1H19, up 17% compared with 1H18, on near- and medium-term initiatives to grow the business and enhance digital capabilities.
•Improved customer satisfaction in scale markets in RBWM and CMB.

Group Chief Executive

On 5 August 2019, John Flint stepped down as Group Chief Executive and as a Director of HSBC Holdings. Noel Quinn was appointed as interim Group Chief Executive and as a Director of HSBC Holdings.

https://www.hsbc.com/media/media-releas ... sults-2019

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Re: HSBC Interim highlights.

Postby IanTHughes » August 5th, 2019, 5:50 am

Dividend Details

https://www.hsbc.com/investors/sharehol ... -timetable

Second interim US$0.10

05 Aug 2019 Announcement
15 Aug 2019 Shares quoted ex-dividend in London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris and Bermuda
16 Aug 2019 Record date in London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris and Bermuda
26 Sep 2019 Payment date

Ian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 5th, 2019, 6:06 am

IanTHughes wrote:Dividend Details

Second interim US$0.10

05 Aug 2019 Announcement
15 Aug 2019 Shares quoted ex-dividend in London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris and Bermuda
26 Sep 2019 Payment date

Ian

You beat me to it Ian. I might top these up soon. They had a weak opening in Asia, on a weak overall market though.

Ian.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » August 5th, 2019, 6:21 am

idpickering wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:Dividend Details

Second interim US$0.10

05 Aug 2019 Announcement
26 Sep 2019 Payment date

You beat me to it Ian. I might top these up soon. They had a weak opening in Asia, on a weak overall market though.

My apologies for stealing your thunder :)

Yes, I was checking these results from the HK Exchange and I noticed the price was down 1.5% or more at the time. I don't know where they finished though.

Anyway, good results in my opinion and, if maintained for the rest of the year, we might even see a raised annual dividend. We shall see

Ian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 5th, 2019, 6:34 am

IanTHughes wrote:My apologies for stealing your thunder :)

Yes, I was checking these results from the HK Exchange and I noticed the price was down 1.5% or more at the time. I don't know where they finished though.

Anyway, good results in my opinion and, if maintained for the rest of the year, we might even see a raised annual dividend. We shall see

Ian

No worries Ian. I hold these alongside Lloyd's, but I'm still not sure which I prefer lol. HSBC down 2.85% as I type, IMHO a bargain, to lock in that 6% yield.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 5th, 2019, 7:44 am

idpickering wrote:No worries Ian. I hold these alongside Lloyd's, but I'm still not sure which I prefer lol. HSBC down 2.85% as I type, IMHO a bargain, to lock in that 6% yield.

Ian.

Good luck with trying to "lock in" a yield, Ian ;) but I know what you really meant.

I am toying with the idea of a topup, but though I am not too high in banks (5%) my financial sector overall is 27% - pretty full by HYPers standards.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 5th, 2019, 8:30 am

Arborbridge wrote:
idpickering wrote:
I hold these alongside Lloyd's, but I'm still not sure which I prefer lol.

HSBC down 2.85% as I type, IMHO a bargain, to lock in that 6% yield.

Good luck with trying to "lock in" a yield, Ian ;) but I know what you really meant.

It's a common error to convince ourselves as income-investors that we are 'locking in' yields, especially when such 'locks' are thought to be getting done at advantageous levels.

Whilst yields are of course true at the point of purchase, subsequent share price movements or changes to dividend levels are very likely to change the yield dynamic on our currently-invested capital, to the point where it can really be quite dangerous to remain 'mentally anchored' to such 'yield locks' that we might convince ourselves with from the time of initial purchase.

To give an example of this, if a particular share purchase yields 6% initially, but over a couple of years the share price perhaps doubles, whilst the dividends paid might perhaps remain static, then an income-investor who still thinks they have a 'locked-in yield' of that original 6% on the currently invested capital might well be quite disappointed were they to discover thst the 'true yield' they were currently achieving on their share capital was actually only 3%.....

The potential opportunity-cost for income-seekers, where we might stay wedded to yields-on-initial-purchase, or 'locked in yields' as they are often labelled, can really be quite high, especially over many years where important share-price and dividend variables are very likely to change......

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 5th, 2019, 8:36 am

No one has picked up on what I see as a significant move and a rather unwelcome one. I have not read the full announcement yet but I am concerned that John Flint has stepped down as CEO with immediate effect. He has only been in post for a couple of years. That is most unlike HSBC and would indicate a fall out, maybe with the new Chairman, the first outside Chairman that HSBC has ever appointed.

That bothers me more than the actual numbers. Having gone over the full report there is simply that bald statement. I do not like that.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 5th, 2019, 9:08 am

Itsallaguess wrote:To give an example of this, if a particular share purchase yields 6% initially, but over a couple of years the share price perhaps doubles, whilst the dividends paid might perhaps remain static, then an income-investor who still thinks they have a 'locked-in yield' of that original 6% on the currently invested capital might well be quite disappointed were they to discover thst the 'true yield' they were currently achieving on their share capital was actually only 3%.....

I am playing devil's advocate here, so please indulge me. I am trying to get my head round the opposite situation to the one you and others often point out and also be consistent.

So how then do you (or HYP'ers) view the situation if over that couple of years the share price of that particular share halves (instead of doubling)? Based on your scenario above the true yield then becomes 12%? But the investor isn't getting 12% on their investment (their original stake), are they? ....though I suppose you/HYP'ers would argue they are getting 12% on what's left of their investment? Is that how you view it?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 5th, 2019, 9:12 am

Dod101 wrote:No one has picked up on what I see as a significant move and a rather unwelcome one. I have not read the full announcement yet but I am concerned that John Flint has stepped down as CEO with immediate effect. He has only been in post for a couple of years. That is most unlike HSBC and would indicate a fall out, maybe with the new Chairman, the first outside Chairman that HSBC has ever appointed.

That bothers me more than the actual numbers. Having gone over the full report there is simply that bald statement. I do not like that.

Dod

That's all true, but I'm hoping that this might give us a fall in the price for a better entry point - so far it has done little. Although I share your concern, you have previously explained that company culture is one of your interests and that you believe HSBC does have a good culture. You've also mentioned that it takes a long time to change a company culture, so by extention of that reasoning the loss of Flint is but a passing event from which the company will soon recover.
i.e. stay calm and topup! (other things being equal, naturally)

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 5th, 2019, 9:32 am

Thanks Arb. I suppose you are right, but the new chairman, Mark Tucker is the first outside chairman ever to be appointed; in itself I think that should be welcomed and he had a very good record in his last post as CEO at AIA Asia, but still, the sudden departure cannot be good news and is a bit unsettling indicating as it does a fall out.

Dod

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » August 5th, 2019, 9:43 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks Arb. I suppose you are right, but the new chairman, Mark Tucker is the first outside chairman ever to be appointed; in itself I think that should be welcomed and he had a very good record in his last post as CEO at AIA Asia, but still, the sudden departure cannot be good news and is a bit unsettling indicating as it does a fall out.

Dod

Morning all

I heard on the BBC this morning on the drive to work that 'China' was suitably unimpressed with some HSBC internal emails that had been passed to US authorities that enabled them to apply for the extradition of the CFO of Huawei. As the HSBC board see the Far East market as the growth area, the BBC were saying that this was a step that was needed (the change in CEO) to try and smooth the waters with China.

Cheers, OLTB.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 5th, 2019, 10:11 am

Thanks OLTB. The BBC website mentions this as well. The other obvious speculation is that bearing in mind that the Chairman, Mark Tucker and John Flint were appointed at the same time, Tucker had very little if any input on his new CEO so maybe just does not get on with him or does not see him as up to the job. It happens.

The results seem to have been well received but I doubt that we will see any increase in the dividend for this year. In fact they have said as much in the past, although I guess they could spring a surprise.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 6th, 2019, 2:37 pm

richfool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:To give an example of this, if a particular share purchase yields 6% initially, but over a couple of years the share price perhaps doubles, whilst the dividends paid might perhaps remain static, then an income-investor who still thinks they have a 'locked-in yield' of that original 6% on the currently invested capital might well be quite disappointed were they to discover thst the 'true yield' they were currently achieving on their share capital was actually only 3%.....

I am playing devil's advocate here, so please indulge me. I am trying to get my head round the opposite situation to the one you and others often point out and also be consistent.

So how then do you (or HYP'ers) view the situation if over that couple of years the share price of that particular share halves (instead of doubling)? Based on your scenario above the true yield then becomes 12%? But the investor isn't getting 12% on their investment (their original stake), are they? ....though I suppose you/HYP'ers would argue they are getting 12% on what's left of their investment? Is that how you view it?

Basically, it's how not just HYPers view it, but how everyone with a grasp of financial realities views it. You put e.g. £10k into the holding a couple of years ago, and you're getting £600 (6% of £10k) income from it. Now the holding is worth £5k, and if you're still getting £600 income from it, that's 12% of what the holding is worth. One can think of the holding as still being worth £10k if one wants, so that the yield as one sees it is still 6%, but the financial reality is that it's currently worth £5k and the yield is 12%.

The real point is that yields only really matter to one's investment decisions when one is buying or selling shares, or contemplating doing so. At other times, it's only the income that matters: as long as one isn't buying or selling or even thinking of doing so, the relevant considerations are just that one's income from the holding is £600 and the chances of that income growing, staying the same or reducing. It's only when one starts thinking about topping the holding up or trimming it that the ratio of the change the trade might make to the income to the amount of cash one would need to put into the trade or could take out of it (i.e. the yield) becomes directly relevant.

I say "directly relevant" rather than just "relevant" because one might use the yield indirectly as a hint about what might happen to the income - an exceptionally high yield as a hint that the income might be in danger of being reduced, or an exceptionally low one that it might be likely to be significantly increased. That's a bit pointless unless one actually contemplates doing something about it - but it might very reasonably be used as a hint that one should start considering doing something about it. (But I'm much more doubtful about using it as more than that, i.e. as an indication that there is something that needs doing rather than just that it's worth considering whether there is such a thing. In particular, I think that letting oneself think of a very high yield as meaning that there is something wrong with a company's prospects is a bad idea, because it essentially involves following what a consensus of other investors are doing and (a) part of the point of choosing one's shares oneself is not to do that; (b) other investors have most certainly been known to misjudge companies' prospects, even in large enough numbers to form or strongly influence the consensus; (c) other investors may be strongly influenced by things other than company prospects - e.g. consider Woodford's recent/current difficulties, which essentially involve forced sales and are at least strongly suspected of having driven some shares' prices down.)

Anyway, that's basically how I view it as a HYPer - I care about the yield when buying or contemplating buying because it indicates how much extra income I'll be getting for my money, I care about it when selling or contemplating selling because it indicates how much income I'll be giving up to get the money, I might occasionally happen to spot an unusually high or low yield at other times and decide to investigate what lies behind it (but certainly don't systematically look for such yields), and otherwise I ignore yields and just pay attention to income. I can't speak for other HYPers, of course, but it is an attitude I recommend to them.

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 6th, 2019, 3:02 pm

I am rather on the side of Gengulphus here. The yield is actually a derivative or a function of the share price at a given time and the dividend derived in the last 12 months. The only benefit of knowing the yield on a share is to compare it with the yield on other shares at a time when it matters, usually either when you are contemplating a buy or a sale. Calculating the yield from the dividend on the original purchase price is of no practical value whatever.

So I do not think anyone is 'locking in a yield' on buying , but locking in the purchase of a set number of shares. Obviously if the price falls you can buy more shares than previously and thus get a bigger dividend, but the yield is not 'locked in' as it varies continuously with the variation in the share price even if the dividend stays the same in monetary terms.

To put it colloquially, if the price per unit falls, you get 'more bang for your buck', but that it seems to me is the extent of the benefit. The dividend per unit does not increase because the price falls and that is what you spend, not the yield.

Dod

onslow
2 Lemon pips

Postby onslow » August 7th, 2019, 3:35 am

I agree out of all the UK banks, HSBC would be my top pick. I've worked for various UK banks(although not HSBC) and HSBC has always seen to be more conservative, less aggressive in chasing business. Thats been the historical perception at least.

(although you could say with any modern bank noone really, really knows what lurks on its balance sheet or derivatives book)

However, a HSBC lifer, appointed CEO just 18 months ago, now "he will immediately cease his day-to-day responsibilities"

They dont immediately terminate a CEO just because China is upset at how the bank handled Huawei, it would be done in a more naunced fashion to save face for all.

Something not right.

onslow
2 Lemon pips

Postby onslow » August 7th, 2019, 3:43 am

Talk this morning in Hong Kong that the HSBC Chief Risk Officer for Asia Pacific being replaced as well.

Something not right.

NeilW
Lemon Slice

Postby NeilW » August 7th, 2019, 6:18 am

The approach I've always taken with HYP is to treat it the same as if you are buying shares in a private company (ie one that is unlisted).

When you do that, then what income is on offer at the time you buy the company is all there is. You judge it on that and only that because once you've bought the company, that's it.

That avoids you falling into the value trap, which is where you sell out of companies that have done well in the stock market to chase 'higher yield'. That higher yield is always a higher risk of failure.

In reality if you get a share that delivers a high yield when you buy it and it recovers to a low yield then that is a 'win' on the risk side that should be banked to offset the inevitable occasional 'lose' on the risk side. Doubling down your winners into higher yield shares is inevitably going to concentrate the risk on the losing side.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » August 8th, 2019, 4:47 pm

NeilW wrote: Doubling down your winners into higher yield shares is inevitably going to concentrate the risk on the losing side.

Which is EXACTLY what I want to do as an investor, because profit comes from taking risk, not avoiding it.

GS

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 8th, 2019, 6:02 pm

NeilW wrote:The approach I've always taken with HYP is to treat it the same as if you are buying shares in a private company (ie one that is unlisted).

When you do that, then what income is on offer at the time you buy the company is all there is. You judge it on that and only that because once you've bought the company, that's it.

That avoids you falling into the value trap, which is where you sell out of companies that have done well in the stock market to chase 'higher yield'. That higher yield is always a higher risk of failure.

In reality if you get a share that delivers a high yield when you buy it and it recovers to a low yield then that is a 'win' on the risk side that should be banked to offset the inevitable occasional 'lose' on the risk side. Doubling down your winners into higher yield shares is inevitably going to concentrate the risk on the losing side.

Doesn't your last sentence describe exactly what TJH does? So are you saying TJH is doing it all wrong in principle?
I do agree that the idea of selling winners to buy what is often a faller runs counter to normal investment lore, but then, HYP is a contrarian higher risk policy.

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”