Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Prudential Results

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
daveh
Lemon Quarter

Prudential Results

Postby daveh » August 14th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Six month results for The PRU can be found here:
Prudential plc - HY19 Results - Business Review
www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=2 ... 9471I&fe=1
Prudential plc - HY19 Results - IFRS
www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=2 ... 9461I&fe=1
Prudential plc - HY19 Results - EEV
www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=2 ... 9437I&fe=1

I managed to find how much and when for the dividend:
Dividend per share
The 2019 first interim dividend of 16.45 pence per ordinary share will be paid on 26 September 2019 in sterling to shareholders in the UK, and in Hong Kong dollars to shareholders on the Hong Kong branch register at 4.30pm Hong Kong time on 26 September 2019. The dividend payable to the HK Shareholders will be translated using the exchange rate quoted by the WM Company at the close of business on 13 August 2019. Holders of US American Depositary Receipts (US Shareholders) will be paid their dividends in US dollars on or about 3 October 2019. The exchange rate at which the dividend payable to the US Shareholders will be translated into US dollars will be determined by the depositary agent. The second interim dividend will be paid on or about 3 October 2019 in Singapore dollars to shareholders with shares standing to the credit of their securities accounts with The Central Depository (Pte) Limited (CDP) at 5.00pm Singapore time on the Record Date (SG Shareholders). The exchange rate at which the dividend payable to the SG Shareholders will be translated from Hong Kong dollars into Singapore dollars, will be determined by CDP.

but not the xd date.

They are also telling us more about the M&G demerger (ie the name)

New corporate name for M&GPrudential at demerger
www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=2 ... 0140J&fe=1

So far I've not found any details on how the demerger is going to happen (I assume existing shareholders will get shares in M&G Prudential) or what the dividend policy will be for the two companies, but I've not read throuh the results presentation in any detail yet.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Prudential Results

Postby Alaric » August 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm

daveh wrote:
So far I've not found any details on how the demerger is going to happen (I assume existing shareholders will get shares in M&G Prudential) or what the dividend policy will be for the two companies, but I've not read throuh the results presentation in any detail yet.

Existing shareholders will get shares in M&G Prudential, but dividend policy is unannounced. They reckon both parts will remain large enough to retain their FTSE 100 status.

I was looking at Prudential as well. For a Company that used to be regarded as the market leader in UK life insurers, it is hardly ever mentioned on this site. Certainly less frequently than Legal & General, Aviva, Standard Life Aberdeen, Phoenix and Chesnara. I looked at the history of dividend yields. Unlike the others mentioned, the yield rarely moves above 3.5% despite respectable yearly dividend increases. I suppose that leaves it off the radar for those concentrating on dividend yield.

With the merger it will become comparable with Standard Life Aberdeen as it was before it sold its life business to Phoenix. You wonder whether it has a similar transaction pencilled in. Using the M&G name is a possible indication of this, but might have been necessary anyway if "Prudential" is going to continue as the name behind the Asian operations.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 14th, 2019, 2:29 pm

daveh wrote:... but not the xd date. ...

From https://www.investegate.co.uk/prudential-plc/rns/prudential-plc---hy19-results---business-review/201908140930049471I/

Notes to Editors: ...

e. 2019 First Interim Dividend

Ex-dividend date
22 August 2019 (UK, Hong Kong and Singapore)

Record date
23 August 2019

Payment of dividend
26 September 2019 (UK and Hong Kong)
On or about 03 October 2019 (Singapore and ADR holders)

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Alaric wrote:

Existing shareholders will get shares in M&G Prudential, but dividend policy is unannounced. They reckon both parts will remain large enough to retain their FTSE 100 status.

I was looking at Prudential as well. For a Company that used to be regarded as the market leader in UK life insurers, it is hardly ever mentioned on this site. Certainly less frequently than Legal & General, Aviva, Standard Life Aberdeen, Phoenix and Chesnara. I looked at the history of dividend yields. Unlike the others mentioned, the yield rarely moves above 3.5% despite respectable yearly dividend increases. I suppose that leaves it off the radar for those concentrating on dividend yield.

With the merger it will become comparable with Standard Life Aberdeen as it was before it sold its life business to Phoenix. You wonder whether it has a similar transaction pencilled in. Using the M&G name is a possible indication of this, but might have been necessary anyway if "Prudential" is going to continue as the name behind the Asian operations.

I've held from a long time ago, bought in 02 and I had automatic dividend set up with my broker until 2010 so picked up a few more with the dividends. My recollection is that in 2002 they were yielding significantly more than the market, but dropped back as the price increased faster than the dividend. Unlike TJH I didn't sell in advance of a big proposed rights issue for a large purchase (AFAIR) that in the end never went ahead . They then just pottered along throwing out dividends, but never getting back to beeing high yield. They sit a little above median in holding size, but not close to
2x median where I start thinking about trimming. Its one of the shares in my HYP that has paid more in divis than they cost. I'm afraid its not one of the shares where I've done an individual XIRR calc so can't say how well its performed (but is showing a gain of 463% (inc dividends) over the whole holding period.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 14th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I first bought PRU in 1990 at 196p, with a starting yield of 5,41%. In 1999 I trimmed them back by 10% as they were going overweight, at 1057p, with a yield of 2.22%. Bought some in 2002 at 341p, giving a yield of 7.61% and again in 2003 at 313p, giving a yield of 7.16% as the dividend was reduced soon after. I dumped them in May 2010 in advance of the rights issue that never was, at 525p, when the yield was 3.8%. The share price fell like a stone in the 2008-9 hiatus, I have 252p recorded at one stage, when the yield was back to 7.9%.

They have never attracted me since. I switched into Brit Assurance, which was soon taken over and thence into Aviva,

TJH

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » September 25th, 2019, 3:14 pm

More info on the demerger can be found here:
www.prudentialplc.com/investors/shareho ... -documents

8. Dividend policy
8.1 Dividend policy for the Post-Demerger Prudential Group
The Prudential Board currently expects to declare a 2019 second interim ordinary dividend of around £510 million, equivalent to around 19.60 pence per share based on the number of Prudential Shares in issue as at the Latest Practicable Date, subject to market conditions and financial performance remaining in line with expectations. The dividend is expected to be approved by the Prudential Board in the first quarter of 2020 and paid to Shareholders in May 2020, in accordance with the Prudential Group’s normal financial calendar.

As explained in section 4.4 of this Part I, the Post-Demerger Prudential Group will change the presentation currency for its consolidated financial statements to US dollars for the full year ending 31 December 2019 and Prudential will determine and declare its dividend in US dollars commencing with dividends paid in 2020. Accordingly, the 2019 second interim ordinary dividend will be calculated in pounds sterling and converted into a declared dividend amount using the US dollar foreign exchange rate at 31 December 2019.

In total, the Prudential Board currently expects the combined dividends paid by Prudential and M&G in respect of 2019 to total around £1,345 million, representing a 5% increase on the Prudential 2018 dividend. Of the £1,345 million, £410 million (of which £100 million represents a one-off Demergerrelated dividend) is expected to be paid by M&G in May 2020, as set out in the M&G Prospectus, £185 million is anticipated to be paid by Prudential in May 2020 using remittances paid from M&G to Prudential prior to completion of the Demerger, and the remaining £750 million represents the contribution to the total 2019 dividend from the Post-Demerger Prudential Group.

The Prudential Board considers dividends to be an important component of total shareholder return and has approved a progressive dividend policy for the Post-Demerger Prudential Group following the Demerger. The level of dividend growth will be determined after taking into account the Post-Demerger Prudential Group’s capital generation capacity, financial prospects and investment opportunities, as
well as market conditions. The £750 million 2019 dividend forms the base from which the Prudential Board expects to apply its progressive dividend policy. This is expected to result, over the medium term, in future central outflows i.e. dividends, debt interest costs and other central expenses (including central payments for bancassurance distribution agreements and restructuring costs) net of tax recoverables, being covered by remittances from business units. The Prudential Board intends to maintain Prudential’s existing formulaic approach to first interim dividends, which are calculated as one third of the previous year’s full year dividend.

8.2 Dividend policy for the Demerging Group
The M&G Directors consider dividends to be an important component of total shareholder return. Dividends will be set by the M&G Directors taking into account M&G’s overall financial position, including its level of regulatory surplus, liquidity position, leverage position, level of interest cover and quality of capital. Subject to M&G’s overall financial position, the M&G Directors would typically expect:
• dividends to be stable or increasing in absolute terms over time; and
• interim dividends to be formulaic and calculated as one third of the previous year’s full year dividend.

Over the longer term, the level of dividend is expected to develop broadly in line with M&G’s ability to generate capital.

At the M&G Directors’ discretion, special dividends may be paid to shareholders of M&G in addition to ordinary dividends. Any such special dividends would be expected to be paid only if the M&G Directors consider that M&G’s overall financial position, as defined above, was stronger than necessary to support its business and financial needs.

The M&G Directors currently expect to declare a 2019 ordinary dividend of around £310 million, subject to M&G’s financial performance and overall financial position remaining in line with expectations. Based on the expected number of M&G Shares at Admission, this is equivalent to about 11.92 pence per share. The dividend is expected to be paid to shareholders of M&G in May 2020, in accordance with M&G’s proposed financial calendar. The expected 2019 ordinary dividend is consistent with M&G’s dividend policy, as described above, being broadly two thirds of the amount that the M&G Directors would have anticipated paying in respect of 2019 on a standalone basis under its new dividend policy.

At the same time and subject to the same conditions, the M&G Directors expect to declare a one-off Demerger-related dividend of around £100 million. Based on the expected number of M&G Shares at Admission, this is equivalent to about 3.85 pence per share. This is in recognition that, for the majority of the 2019 financial year, M&G was operating without incurring certain costs, e.g. debt interest costs, which it would expect to bear in future and which have been allowed for in determining the initial level of ordinary dividend.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”