Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

GSK Q3 Update

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
digitaria
Lemon Pip

GSK Q3 Update

Postby digitaria » October 30th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Here

I always get slightly caught out by their midday updates. Dividend held. Market seems to be responding positively.

Reported Group sales £9.4 billion +16% AER, +11% CER (Pro-forma growth +6% CER*);
Pharmaceuticals £4.5 billion +7% AER, +3% CER; Vaccines £2.3 billion +20% AER, +15% CER; Consumer Healthcare
£2.5 billion +30% AER, +25% CER (Pro-forma growth +3% CER*)
Total Group operating margin 22.9%; Adjusted Group operating margin 29.7% reflecting increased spending on R&D and priority assets, and the impact of generic Advair in the US, partly offset by Vaccines performance (Pharmaceuticals 24.1%; Vaccines 50.3%; Consumer Healthcare 24.3%)
Total EPS 31.4p +9% AER, -1% CER, Adjusted EPS 38.6p +9% AER, +1% CER reflecting operating performance and lower effective tax rate offset by increased profit allocation to non-controlling interests
9 months net cash flow from operations £4.6 billion. Free cash flow £2.5 billion
19p dividend declared for the quarter, continue to expect 80p for FY19
Consumer Healthcare JV with Pfizer completed 31 July creating new world leader in Consumer Healthcare
2019 Adjusted EPS guidance improved to expectation of around flat at CER from a decline of -3% to -5%

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: GSK Q3 Update

Postby idpickering » October 30th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Thanks for putting this up. I hold in my HYP, have topped up a while ago, but have no plans to top up further currently. My average buying price 1358p

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm

It's turning out to be a quasi fixed interest investment!

Arb.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 30th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Quarterly dividends
The Board has declared a third interim dividend for 2019 of 19 pence per share (Q3 2018: 19 pence per share).
GSK recognises the importance of dividends to shareholders and aims to distribute regular dividend payments that will be determined primarily with reference to the free cash flow generated by the business after funding the investment necessary to support the Group’s future growth.
The Board intends to maintain the dividend for 2019 at the current level of 80p per share, subject to any material change in the external environment or performance expectations. Over time, as free cash flow strengthens, it intends to build free cash flow cover of the annual dividend to a target range of 1.25-1.50x, before returning the dividend to growth.
Payment of dividends The equivalent interim dividend receivable by ADR holders will be calculated based on the exchange rate on 7 January 2020. An annual fee of $0.03 per ADS (or $0.0075 per ADS per quarter) (2018: $0.02 per ADS; $0.005 per ADS per quarter) is charged by the Depositary.
The ex-dividend date will be 14 November 2019, with a record date of 15 November 2019 and a payment date of 9 January 2020.

I also note that debt is up again and that dividends of £3.0 billion are not yet covered by the free cashflow of £2.5 billion. Therefore the company needs to significantly increase free cash before it can start increasing the dividend and some might say it would be sensible to reduce the dividend so their required dividend:freecash ratio was met and increase the dividend from there as free cashflow grows (we hope):

Net debt
At 30 September 2019, net debt was £28.1 billion, compared with £21.6 billion at 31 December 2018, comprising gross debt of £33.0 billion and cash and liquid investments of £4.9 billion, including £0.5 billion reported within Assets held for sale. Net debt increased due to the £3.9 billion acquisition of Tesaro Inc as well as £0.2 billion of Tesaro net debt, together with the £1.3 billion impact from the implementation of IFRS 16, the dividend paid to shareholders of £3.0 billion and £0.4 billion of unfavourable exchange impacts from the translation of non-Sterling denominated debt, partly offset by £2.5 billion of free cash flow.
At 30 September 2019, GSK had short-term borrowings (including overdrafts and lease liabilities) repayable within 12 months of £8.2 billion with loans of £3.4 billion repayable in the subsequent year.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 30th, 2019, 3:55 pm

I've had a go at producing a free cash flow and dividend comparison using Morningstar, below. Let me know if there are any big plot holes in it, but it looks as though the free cash more or less covers the dividends paid (excluding a special).

Arb.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » October 30th, 2019, 7:14 pm

daveh wrote:I also note that debt is up again and that dividends of £3.0 billion are not yet covered by the free cashflow of £2.5 billion. Therefore the company needs to significantly increase free cash before it can start increasing the dividend and some might say it would be sensible to reduce the dividend so their required dividend:freecash ratio was met and increase the dividend from there as free cashflow grows (we hope):

Net debt
At 30 September 2019, net debt was £28.1 billion, compared with £21.6 billion at 31 December 2018, comprising gross debt of £33.0 billion and cash and liquid investments of £4.9 billion, including £0.5 billion reported within Assets held for sale. Net debt increased due to the £3.9 billion acquisition of Tesaro Inc as well as £0.2 billion of Tesaro net debt, together with the £1.3 billion impact from the implementation of IFRS 16, the dividend paid to shareholders of £3.0 billion and £0.4 billion of unfavourable exchange impacts from the translation of non-Sterling denominated debt, partly offset by £2.5 billion of free cash flow.
At 30 September 2019, GSK had short-term borrowings (including overdrafts and lease liabilities) repayable within 12 months of £8.2 billion with loans of £3.4 billion repayable in the subsequent year.

So more than a quarter of their net debt is repayable in the next 12 months. I assume that they would have no problems in rolling this over into longer term financing.....

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 30th, 2019, 7:51 pm

TUK020 wrote:
daveh wrote:I also note that debt is up again and that dividends of £3.0 billion are not yet covered by the free cashflow of £2.5 billion. Therefore the company needs to significantly increase free cash before it can start increasing the dividend and some might say it would be sensible to reduce the dividend so their required dividend:freecash ratio was met and increase the dividend from there as free cashflow grows (we hope):

Net debt

So more than a quarter of their net debt is repayable in the next 12 months. I assume that they would have no problems in rolling this over into longer term financing.....

I'm assuming it isn't a problem, or the shares would have been trashed! In fact they crept up today.

JoyofBricks8
2 Lemon pips

Postby JoyofBricks8 » October 30th, 2019, 11:15 pm

I sold out of GSK a couple of years ago when I realised I couldnt really understand the accounts.

Are they overdistributing? Yes, in my opinion.

Do they have unintelligible accounts, "core" earnings and offputting complexity with adjusted eps? Yes, in my opinion.

Am I confident the business is (for want of a better word) healthy? No, definitely not.

So I got out above 1600p and am much happier as a result.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 31st, 2019, 7:29 am

The thing about big Pharma is that it does not take a lot to change the picture. Just look at AstraZeneca now. Who would have predicted that a couple of years ago? I know the dividend has been static for some time but the increase in the share price has allowed me to extract cash and use it elsewhere. Very unHYP like but at the same time we all top slice successful shares from time to time.

Glaxo have a number of corporate things underway and as long as they keep the dividend flowing I will stay with them. There are however too many unchanged dividends around for my liking, Shell, HSBC, the two pharmas and no doubt others.

Dod

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » October 31st, 2019, 7:58 am

JoyofBricks8 wrote:Are they overdistributing? Yes, in my opinion...

Ditto.

Best wishes

Mark.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 31st, 2019, 8:40 am

Dod101 wrote:The thing about big Pharma is that it does not take a lot to change the picture. Just look at AstraZeneca now. Who would have predicted that a couple of years ago? I know the dividend has been static for some time but the increase in the share price has allowed me to extract cash and use it elsewhere. Very unHYP like but at the same time we all top slice successful shares from time to time.

Glaxo have a number of corporate things underway and as long as they keep the dividend flowing I will stay with them. There are however too many unchanged dividends around for my liking, Shell, HSBC, the two pharmas and no doubt others.

Dod

I'm also a holder (both GSK and AZN), both have done well for me with GSK doing better on the dividend front having paid back just short of what I paid for the shares in dividends and doubling in price with AZN performing better on price (almost tripling) and returning just over half the original cost in dividends.

So far they haven't reached the level (% of the portfolio by value) where I would top slice them so the only money I've taken out of them is dividends (for reinvestment elsewhere). They both have worries (for me), with GSK's dividend at best barely covered by cashflow and AZN's love of reporting core earnings with exceptionals removed that are clearly not that exceptional as they seem to happen every year. So far I've not been worried enough to sell.

and Dod can add BT to the held divi list today.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 31st, 2019, 8:45 am

JoyofBricks8 wrote:I sold out of GSK a couple of years ago when I realised I couldnt really understand the accounts.

Are they overdistributing? Yes, in my opinion.

Do they have unintelligible accounts, "core" earnings and offputting complexity with adjusted eps? Yes, in my opinion.

Am I confident the business is (for want of a better word) healthy? No, definitely not.

I find most acccounts are unintelligble - or at least, if some are intelligble I'm left with the feeling that I'm still being misled in some way :( If I understand them, I assume that's because I do not understand them :lol:

Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 1st, 2019, 1:28 pm

daveh wrote:I'm also a holder (both GSK and AZN), both have done well for me with GSK doing better on the dividend front having paid back just short of what I paid for the shares in dividends and doubling in price with AZN performing better on price (almost tripling) and returning just over half the original cost in dividends.

Have you held them for similar amounts of time? Unless you have, the contrasts between those sets of figures for the two shares could be pretty misleading...

I ask because I thought I would do a similar comparison for my holdings of the two shares. Each of them has been topped up on numerous occasions, which makes doing proper calculations quite a lot of work, so to get something quickly, I did the calculations for my initial purchase only of each share. And the answers I got were that those AZN shares have returned 51% of their purchase price in dividends and are up in value by 166%, while those GSK shares have returned 94% of their purchase cost in dividends and are up in value by 47%. So very similar to what you describe on dividends, and reasonably similar on capital gains.

BUT... My initial purchase of AZN was in February 2012, while my initial purchase of GSK was in January 2004, so I've held GSK for about twice as long as AZN (coming up to 16 years compared with coming up to 8 years). If I take a look at per-year / annualised figures that take that into account, the AZN shares have returned an average of 6.6% of their purchase cost per year in dividends compared with 6.0% for the GSK shares, and the annualised rate of capital gains has been 13.6% for the AZN shares compared with 2.5% for the GSK shares. So the picture given in the last paragraph of GSK having done better on dividends and AZN on capital gains is rather misleading about how well the two companies shares have done for me: the true picture is that the AZN shares have done better on both counts - mildly better on dividends, massively better on capital gains.

But even that modified conclusion may well be misleading, because if I look at what each of the shares' prices did in the 10 years before I purchased them, GSK's roughly doubled and AZN's only rose by at most about 20% (a bit of a rough-and-ready assessment because I'm reading these off share price charts rather than using the more accurate but more time-consuming method of looking up historical prices)... I.e. such comparisons are pretty sensitive to exactly what period one looks at, even for quite long periods of the order of a decade or more, and it follows that even a long history of superior performance might be leading into a future of inferior performance.

Or more briefly, the past is not necessarily a good guide to the future. It's not necessarily a totally unusable guide, but I generally feel that it is much better used as supporting evidence for a HYP decision than as the main evidence. In this case, if it came to a decision about whether to buy GSK or AZN for my HYP, I would first look at the basics: both are certainly the sort of large, sturdy companies that HYPs primarily rely on. GSK has a yield of 4.5%, which for me is high enough - it's flirting with the FTSE 100 yield, which is currently at 4.53% according to the FT, so it will probably be fluctuating in and out of strict compliance with this board's definition of how high a HYP share's yield needs to be as market movements affect both the FTSE 100 level and the GSK share price, but 'near enough is good enough' is the applicable principle in my view! AZN has a yield of 2.9%, which is definitely not a high yield by this board's standards. It would definitely be a top-up purchase for me rather than a new purchase, which puts discussing purchasing it into a bit of a grey area as far as being on-topic for this board is concerned...

Putting that aside briefly, AZN's dividend has been static since 2012 and hasn't been covered by reported EPS since that year - nor is it likely to this year judging by the figures in the three sets of quarterly results we've had so far. It has been covered by what the company calls "core EPS", which has presumably (I could check, but haven't) had various loss-making activities adjusted out of it. I've no objection to such adjustments when they're saying to shareholders "here's something loss-making that we're getting rid of reasonably soon, so we're making an adjustment to give you a good idea what to expect in the longer-term future". But in AZN's case, "core EPS" has been well above reported EPS for many years now, so they seem very likely to be adjusting out things I can expect to continue into the longer-term future - and I don't want to adjust such things out! As another quick check, operating cash flow has been much closer to reported EPS than to "core EPS", suggesting that the dividend hasn't really been covered by cash flow either. I could try doing a proper evaluation of free cash flow - i.e. the cash flow the company really has available for returns to shareholders plus enhancements to its business's earnings power. But I'm not adept at such calculations, never having found a method for doing them that I find satisfactory, so it would involve quite a bit of thinking and effort - and the combination of AZN's sub-3% yield and the picture I'm getting from looking at the EPS and operating cash flow figures is enough to convince me that I'm far too unlikely to come to a different conclusion as a result of putting in that effort. So for me, AZN is clearly not a plausible HYP purchase at present, even as a top-up and even for a HYPer with a very relaxed view of what qualifies for a top-up purchase...

A similar look at GSK says that its supporting evidence from dividend record, EPS and operating cash flow isn't all that good either, but it is rather better than AZN's: its dividend has been held and mostly uncovered by basic EPS since 2014 rather than 2012, and these third-quarter results give basic EPS for the first 9 months of 67.7p, somewhat ahead of schedule to achieve the 80p needed to cover the dividend this year. I definitely wouldn't say it was likely to be the best choice of purchase for many HYPers, but wouldn't rule the possibility out entirely.

Finally, none of that takes the actual position of the shares in my own HYP into account, since that's only a factor for my decisions, not those of anyone else. But in case it is of interest to anyone, this thread has brought it to my attention that AZN is now the largest holding in my HYP other than Greene King (which is a special case because of the takeover). It's not quite at the level where I would normally consider top-slicing a holding, but holdings that reach that level don't normally look to me as unlikely a prospect for dividend increases as AZN does at present. And as it happens, I would quite like to have a bit of extra cash available in the next few months for non-investment reasons, and a realised capital gain would improve my prospects of using my CGT allowance well this year - so I feel a top-slice coming on!

Gengulphus

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 1st, 2019, 3:07 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
daveh wrote:I'm also a holder (both GSK and AZN), both have done well for me with GSK doing better on the dividend front having paid back just short of what I paid for the shares in dividends and doubling in price with AZN performing better on price (almost tripling) and returning just over half the original cost in dividends.

Have you held them for similar amounts of time? Unless you have, the contrasts between those sets of figures for the two shares could be pretty misleading...

I ask because I thought I would do a similar comparison for my holdings of the two shares. Each of them has been topped up on numerous occasions, which makes doing proper calculations quite a lot of work, so to get something quickly, I did the calculations for my initial purchase only of each share. And the answers I got were that those AZN shares have returned 51% of their purchase price in dividends and are up in value by 166%, while those GSK shares have returned 94% of their purchase cost in dividends and are up in value by 47%. So very similar to what you describe on dividends, and reasonably similar on capital gains.

BUT... My initial purchase of AZN was in February 2012, while my initial purchase of GSK was in January 2004, so I've held GSK for about twice as long as AZN (coming up to 16 years compared with coming up to 8 years). If I take a look at per-year / annualised figures that take that into account, the AZN shares have returned an average of 6.6% of their purchase cost per year in dividends compared with 6.0% for the GSK shares, and the annualised rate of capital gains has been 13.6% for the AZN shares compared with 2.5% for the GSK shares. So the picture given in the last paragraph of GSK having done better on dividends and AZN on capital gains is rather misleading about how well the two companies shares have done for me: the true picture is that the AZN shares have done better on both counts - mildly better on dividends, massively better on capital gains.

Gengulphus

It was just a very quick and dirty observation, I bought my first GSK at a similar date to you (04) and my AZN slightly earlier than you (09) so some of the better dividend performance of GSK is just down to the fact that I've owned them for longer so have collected more dividends. AZN I could do a XIRR calulation on AZN relatively simply (4 purchases plus the dividends), GSK would be a bit more dificult (47 purchases, 2 sales* plus dividends). GSK was one of my earlier HYP purchases and I was buying monthly with £250 amounts in sharebuilder, plus letting sharebuilder automatically reinvest dividends so it would be a bit complicated to reconstruct for an XIRR calculation.

*The 2 sales were partial bed and ISA's in 17 and 18.

WRT purchasing, neither are on my radar at the moment, for much the same reasons as you mentioned in the bits of your post I haven't quoted. I've swithered with top slicing AZN because of the core eps issues, but have held off partly because the share price seems to keep increasing and partially because they are below my cutoff for looking at a top slice (>2x median holding size).

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » November 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm

These are "dirty" numbers:

GSK:
bought from 5/06 to 6/08
some sold 5/13, 8/17, 10/17
dividends received 1.27 x purchase cost
value +20% (very poor after more than 10 years)

AZN:
bought 5/14 & 5/15
some sold 11/18
dividends received 0.27 x purchase cost
value +76% (very nice over 5 years)

Conclusions: Nothing much. GSK has behaved like a bond. I hold these two pharmas in the hope of a massive drug/treatment break through. In the meantime a modest income is enjoyed. I'd not buy either right now for a HYP (GSK holding dividend; AZN low yield). Appreciate the comments above.

Best wishes,

Steve

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 1st, 2019, 11:22 pm

My experience has been:

Zeneca demerged from ICI in 1993 at 630p. Trimmed back in 1997 when overweight at 1855p. Merged with Astra. Added to in 2007 at 2426p, then trimmed back when overweight in 2008 at 2403p. Topped up in 2011 at 3016p, in 2012 at 2643p, in 2013 at 3136p, then trimmed when overweight in 2014 at 4676p, then topped up in 2016 at 3980p, and trimmed again in 2018 at 6252p. Cumulative dividends exceeded original cost price in 2007 after 13 years. IRR to date 16.15%. Current price 7465p.

GSK bought in 2010 at 1254p. Added to in 2011 at 1180p, in 2016 at 1490p and again in 2016 at 1532p, and in 2018 at 1344p. Dividends received to date equal about 50% of original cost price. IRR to date is 7.95%. Current price 1781p.

It's a bit like comparing a greyhound with a dachshund, but the greyhound gets distracted by a rabbit every now and then.

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 2nd, 2019, 1:05 am

We are on the HYP Practical Board. The big pharmas that we are writing about (and HSBC, Imperial Tobacco, BAT, BT and probably others) are behaving like bonds. They produce an income which is steady and probably reliable but are unexciting and seem unlikely to increase that income for some time. Why then are we discussing them on the HYP - Practical Board ? (Read the guidelines)

It means that if we hold those shares (dividend frozen ones that is) we need to find other shares where the income (dividends) are increasing. That is my main concern at the moment but it is quite difficult to find such shares except in the lower yielding ones (which of course are not HYP shares). This is the dilemma. It rather suggests that those who are advocating a non HYP approach may be on to something. The traditional measure of a HYP share is surely one that produces (and produces increasing income) more than the FTSE100 average. Not many of those are currently producing an increase in their dividend as far as I can see anyway. HYP is more or less dead. (Sorry about all the produces)

Dod

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

Dod101 wrote:We are on the HYP Practical Board. The big pharmas that we are writing about (and HSBC, Imperial Tobacco, BAT, BT and probably others) are behaving like bonds. They produce an income which is steady and probably reliable but are unexciting and seem unlikely to increase that income for some time. Why then are we discussing them on the HYP - Practical Board ? (Read the guidelines)
The guidelines do not prohibit discussion of shares which are or which have been candidate HYP shares
Dod101 wrote:It means that if we hold those shares (dividend frozen ones that is) we need to find other shares where the income (dividends) are increasing. That is my main concern at the moment but it is quite difficult to find such shares except in the lower yielding ones (which of course are not HYP shares). This is the dilemma. It rather suggests that those who are advocating a non HYP approach may be on to something. The traditional measure of a HYP share is surely one that produces (and produces increasing income) more than the FTSE100 average. Not many of those are currently producing an increase in their dividend as far as I can see anyway. HYP is more or less dead. (Sorry about all the produces)

Dod

You are now questioning the HYP strategy, which is not appropriate for this board. It's odd that you cannot find companies with increasing dividends to complement those which are currently paying static dividends.

Looking at my own portfolio of 35 shares, there are 7 which have held or reduced their dividends in the current year, including those affected by currency movements so far. Currently the yield of the FTSE100 is 4.5% according to the FT, and I have 22 shares with yields at or above that level, GSK being the lowest yield of them, and AZN at 2.9% being well below. Only 2 of my shares yield more than twice that of the index, TW. and IMB, and 5 more yield more than 1.5 times the index, BT.A, SSE, RIO, BATS and AV. Of those, BT.A has held its dividend, and all others have raised theirs.

You just are not looking.

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 3rd, 2019, 1:45 pm

No, TJH, I am not questioning the HYP strategy; I am simply saying that it is getting increasingly difficult to apply it. Probably that is because many of the shares you quote I either hold or I do not like for one reason or another.

By the way, as you are a mod, I am assuming you do not mind this getting somewhat off topic!

Dod

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » November 3rd, 2019, 1:48 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:It means that if we hold those shares (dividend frozen ones that is) we need to find other shares where the income (dividends) are increasing. That is my main concern at the moment but it is quite difficult to find such shares except in the lower yielding ones (which of course are not HYP shares). This is the dilemma. It rather suggests that those who are advocating a non HYP approach may be on to something. The traditional measure of a HYP share is surely one that produces (and produces increasing income) more than the FTSE100 average. Not many of those are currently producing an increase in their dividend as far as I can see anyway. HYP is more or less dead. (Sorry about all the produces)

It's odd that you cannot find companies with increasing dividends to complement those which are currently paying static dividends.

Extremely odd in my view. My records indicate that there are 24 constituents of the FTSE100 with a yield equal to or greater than 4.50% and where the declared dividend has risen for the past year. If one looks at companies with a Market Capital equal to or greater than £2 Billion, the number found rises to more than 40.

Ian

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”